Author Topic: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters communion with the Catholic Church  (Read 8499 times)

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
"That they All may be One, that the World may believe that Thou has sent Me"

"The welcome ceremony was presided over by the Vicar General of the Archdiocese, father Alberto Figueroa Morales on behalf of the Archbishop. The priests and parishioners made the profession of faith and during the liturgy commemorated the Supreme Pontiff, Francisco and metropolitan Robert.

https://holysynergy.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/breaking-news-the-orthodox-church-of-puerto-rico-enters-into-communion-with-the-catholic-church/

"I follow no leader but Christ and join in communion with none but your blessedness [Pope St. Damasus I], that is, with the Throne of Peter. I know that this is the rock on which the Church has been built." (St. Jerome, Letters 15:2 [A.D. 396])

When are the other separated Churches going to restore communion with the Throne of St. Peter?
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline youssef

• Elder
Really sorry but i cannot get any other reaction :  ;D ;D ;D

In the way you are presenting the news. it is like you hade made a great victory
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:01:04 AM by youssef »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Glory to God that Orthodoxy has not died in Puerto Rico.

http://misionsanjuanclimaco.blogspot.com/
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
Not a question of "victory" but a healing of schism by a return to unity. Schism begs the question of how we can tell where is the Church and who is right in claiming to belong to and represent Her when two sides are separated. The Catholic Church has a simple and evident answer discernible to all, even a child of 5. By pointing out Apostolic Succession in the Throne of Peter, and ensuring all Bishops preserve unity of faith and communion with their head and chief. What is Orthodoxy's answer? What is your approach to healing the schism and how do you know for sure you are on the right side and in full communion with the universal Church? How will you identify the Apostolic Church by Her marks, especially the mark of Apostolicity, to know for sure which side is right when a schism arises?
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
The Apostolic Church is where the faithful gather around their right-believing bishop and celebrate the eucharist.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Lately, I've been trying to learn Spanish to see if I can expand my options to consider doing residency in PR.  If that happens, then I hope there is still an Orthodox Church there for me to commune.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
What a shame that one of the Orthodox communities in Puerto Rico has abandoned the Faith and fallen into schism along with Rome.  I am saddened by this news.  :'(
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Not a question of "victory" but a healing of schism by a return to unity. Schism begs the question of how we can tell where is the Church and who is right in claiming to belong to and represent Her when two sides are separated. The Catholic Church has a simple and evident answer discernible to all, even a child of 5. By pointing out Apostolic Succession in the Throne of Peter, and ensuring all Bishops preserve unity of faith and communion with their head and chief. What is Orthodoxy's answer? What is your approach to healing the schism and how do you know for sure you are on the right side and in full communion with the universal Church? How will you identify the Apostolic Church by Her marks, especially the mark of Apostolicity, to know for sure which side is right when a schism arises?

Apostolic succession is not limited to Peter, and Peter is not limited to Rome.  So we don't quite understand why that really is a necessary dogma.  A theological opinion perhaps, but the Orthodox Church is fine just the way she is without the need for a central place in Rome.  If Rome is destroyed, the Church still moves on.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
Lately, I've been trying to learn Spanish to see if I can expand my options to consider doing residency in PR.  If that happens, then I hope there is still an Orthodox Church there for me to commune.

You may have to drive a little farther.

What a shame that one of the Orthodox communities in Puerto Rico has abandoned the Faith and fallen into schism along with Rome.  I am saddened by this news.  :'(

It is.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Sunday morning swim to the US Virgin Islands  :P

(Coptic Church is there)

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
Just saw a Catholic friend of mine on Facebook praising God over this happening and linked to the article. Came here to see if anyone had mentioned it yet. A shame, but it seems like Central/South America is overall a very unstable place when it comes to religious allegiances.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
What was the impetus for the switch to Catholicism, I wonder.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
This is bad news. They are making unity more difficult if not only supporting known heresies of old even just papal supremacy.  I have no problem if they really think they found the truth but if they are leaving just to make unity or they allow others to pursuade them because they hate orthodox doctrines they can not prove wrong they were never really orthodox to begin with. Once you convert to orthodoxy you should not convert to anything else unless you found the truth. Those who are orthodox must not become anything else especially those born so because they have no valid pressure from anyone. Why do they convert even those not born so unless they feel they are hurting family
I hope them to be saved if they teach orthodox doctrines but I don't know I think so but they won't be full. Those who are not orthodox don't need to be orthodox because they do not know they must and they may feel they are causing divisions. They have the same reward if they teach orthodox beliefs

I am not trying to rival the Catholic Church those who rival as Paul says in Galatians will not inherit the kingdom but I think this is what they are doing and it is insulting. They have not accepted us though
we accepted them

Unity only has a chance of happening through truth
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:08:05 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Never heard of the Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
I actually believe they can be saved but I don't know but they don't help unity they will have less reward and are not full. Less reward for a couple of reasons. Someone who never left orthodoxy they believed in or at all I never say they are not saved even if they believe in some heresies but they have less reward. They are saved because they are not sure of the truth but they have less reward for they don't support the truth. In this case they also want to insult orthodoxy so it is different
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:14:39 PM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
It was a single parish not the entire Orthodox Church in PR.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Anyway I am tempted to say hell is only for unrepentant evil people only God knows who they are we must not judge

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
LOL To their own doom. Now they have to deal with Pope Francis.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Who were they anyway? Vagantes?
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
It was a parish under the EP.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
Nobody gave a reason for leaving?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
So a single parish joins Rome, and that causes you to want to stage a Roman-like Triumph and Victory Parade through the streets of San Juan? WOW. Just WOW. And not in a good way.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
The Apostolic Church is where the faithful gather around their right-believing bishop and celebrate the eucharist.

+1000.  That is unity, not everyone paying lip service to a fallible man who thinks he's infallible, because that's a great solution which never caused schism ever.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Diego

• High Elder

+1000.  That is unity, not everyone paying lip service to a fallible man who thinks he's infallible, because that's a great solution which never caused schism ever.

+INFINITUDE! Although my Orthodox brothers may disgree on the concept that Missouri Synod has about every Pastor a Bishop, the sentiment is still shared.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP

"The welcome ceremony was presided over by the Vicar General of the Archdiocese, father Alberto Figueroa Morales on behalf of the Archbishop. The priests and parishioners made the profession of faith and during the liturgy commemorated the Supreme Pontiff, Francisco and metropolitan Robert.

https://holysynergy.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/breaking-news-the-orthodox-church-of-puerto-rico-enters-into-communion-with-the-catholic-church/

"I follow no leader but Christ and join in communion with none but your blessedness [Pope St. Damasus I], that is, with the Throne of Peter. I know that this is the rock on which the Church has been built." (St. Jerome, Letters 15:2 [A.D. 396])

When are the other separated Churches going to restore communion with the Throne of St. Peter?

Pope Benedict? I know you are retired but how many times are you going to stir the pot on this forum?

• Taxiarches
So a single parish joins Rome, and that causes you to want to stage a Roman-like Triumph and Victory Parade through the streets of San Juan? WOW. Just WOW. And not in a good way.

The only ones who take Rome seriously at this point is Rome. They have an inferiority complex they need to confirm.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA

When is the "Throne of Peter" going to restore over itself the leadership of Christ?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

As a child of 5, I knew there were 12 Apostles.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
Sunday morning swim to the US Virgin Islands  :P

(Coptic Church is there)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:58:58 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

Offline Diego

• High Elder

The only ones who take Rome seriously at this point is Rome. They have an inferiority complex they need to confirm.

I think you are entirely right on that point.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
Does that make Archimandrite Andrija a Croat now?

So this happens a month ago.  My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago.  No one made mention of this.  Commemorated the EP in liturgy.  Shady, shady, shady.

Thank God neither of us took their bread and wine.

Haven't seen a statement from the EP.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:13:40 PM by hecma925 »

• Taxiarches
So this happens a month ago.  My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago.  No one made mention of this.  Commemorated the EP in liturgy.  Shady, shady, shady.

Wow, shady is the word alright!  What gives, Xavier?

Amen!
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

[/quote]

Ah he is a Croat now.  That explains it all.  I thought the name of Archimandrite   Andrew Vujisic sounds familiar.  Doesn't he already have a record of jurisdiction hopping?    First showing up connection with the Antiochians in Australia and then moving to the ROCOC in Puerto Rico and then to EP ? 

https://orthodoxwiki.org/Andrew_(Vujisi%C4%87)_of_Tralles

And then there was the whole mysterious story of a supposed Myrrh-streaming Icon at his church in Australia before he left.

Sounds like a parody of aN Orthodox soap opera doesn't it.

• Taxiarches

Ah he is a Croat now.  That explains it all.  I thought the name of Archimandrite   Andrew Vujisic sounds familiar.  Doesn't he already have a record of jurisdiction hopping?    First showing up connection with the Antiochians in Australia and then moving to the ROCOC in Puerto Rico and then to EP ? 

And then there was the whole mysterious story of a supposed Myrrh-streaming Icon at his church in Australia before he left.

I have the perfect title:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:09:51 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
I like Coptic Orthodoxy.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

• Taxiarches
I like Coptic Orthodoxy.

And we like you!

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

I have the perfect title:

;D

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
At one point, (2009 iirc) Arch. Andrija was a bishop-elect.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs

Maybe he'll have better luck among the Catholics. 

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

The article says he is Montenegrin.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:08:17 PM by Deacon Lance »
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
What a weird story. Lord, have mercy!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
It seems Fr. Andrew didn't take part in this schism, he's in Guatemala right now. Fr. Peter DiLeo and Sdc. Spyridon Morrow are the ones who defected.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
The apostasy happened last month and he was involved.

RC Archdiocese website in Puerto Rico article (in Spanish)

http://elvisitantepr.com/acuerdo-entre-iglesia-ortodoxa-y-catolica-en-la-arquidiocesis/

Just because he's in Guatemala right now doesn't mean much.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
The apostasy happened last month and he was involved.

RC Archdiocese website in Puerto Rico article (in Spanish)

http://elvisitantepr.com/acuerdo-entre-iglesia-ortodoxa-y-catolica-en-la-arquidiocesis/

Just because he's in Guatemala right now doesn't mean much.
bizarroweird
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:07:38 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches

I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Anyway I am tempted to say hell is only for unrepentant evil people only God knows who they are we must not judge

That doesn't mean I should not judge things and have an opinion of if that person is in danger  but only God knows I must not judge people as though I know how evil they are
Only God knows the truth at the end. I can not see the heart of a  person who is unrepentant but God does and knows what he will deserve. Also I am not saying these converts but I brought it up because I thought about how I have seemed to in the past made to appear to make  non specific people to deserve more than what they deserve but I think they do deserve it but we can not show what only God knows and I didn't like people to think people are in hell who are not evil. Fact is we all deserved hell without Christ but now we are justified and made right with God and we are not evil if we repent
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:32:36 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
So they really accept Papal supremacy and infallibility?

If the laypeople in Orthodox Church joined RC, I won't be that surprise. However, why the Orthodox Priest decided to join RC?

It is just for the theological reason? Or something else?
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

You may be right.  Hey check here: he is already part of the "The Imperial Ecclesiastical Nobility"  of the Holy Roman Empire.

His Serene Highness Prince Andrew Zoran Vujisic, OT. Kt.HRE
Prince Bishop and Prince Abbot of Fulda

http://www.holyromanempireassociation.com/imperial-ecclesiastical-nobility.html

Offline Samn!

• High Elder

You may be right.  Hey check here: he is already part of the "The Imperial Ecclesiastical Nobility"  of the Holy Roman Empire.

If you look at another one of the pages linked above, Fr Vujisic seems to have an insatiable penchant for diploma-mills and dubious titles of nobility. On the site linked here, most of the bishop's titles are for real, active sees, but claimed for random people unassociated with these dioceses. For example, Fulda is a real (not titular!) diocese in Germany, and it would probably surprise its bishop (https://www.bistum-fulda.de/bistum_fulda/bistum/bistumsleitung/bischof.php ) that a newly-Catholic priest in Puerto Rico claimed his see...

• Taxiarches

Oh my gosh.  There's not enough groan in the world for this.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
Let's check on this trainwreck in 6 months and see if Xavier still wants to brag about it.
- Berdyaev

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
This is really bizarre. One would be tempted to say "Welcome home!", but this is all a bit too strange.
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs

Hell, if I can get a few titles like that I'll switch sides.  Having to fast only two days a year is just icing on the cake ermine on my cape.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
What was the impetus for the switch to Catholicism, I wonder.
Cash? :-\

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun

Just happened last month. No further explanation of why I decided to be in communion with Rome. It is kind of strange. 
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland

Rome's claims might have a bit more to them than is often acknowledged here, but you do those claims a disservice by quote mining, and throwing quotes taken out of context at us.

Why don't you begin by setting your own house in order?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:49:03 AM by Cyrillic »

• Taxiarches

Hell, if I can get a few titles like that I'll switch sides.  Having to fast only two days a year is just icing on the cake ermine on my cape.

;D ;D ;D

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
A shame, but it seems like Central/South America is overall a very unstable place when it comes to religious allegiances.

True. Same thing in Africa.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:03:53 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
A shame, but it seems like Central/South America is overall a very unstable place when it comes to religious allegiances.

What is going on in Africa?  I thought most of the parishes were founded by Greeks and under the Patriarch of Antioch.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches

What is going on in Africa?  I thought most of the parishes were founded by Greeks and under the Patriarch of Antioch.

I wasn't talking about the Orthodox Church in Africa.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
I only heard of one such case in Brazilian Orthodoxy, in which the vicariate failed to provide a priest and the people got one from schismatics. Otherwise, we're very cautious with canonicity (maybe for the fact there are so many Cacodox out there), my archdiocese itself had a hard time to keep canonical while hell was breaking loose in our European hierarchy.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
My unsubstantiated theory is that the parish got comfortable.  They were using an unused (!) RC chapel located in the safe confines of a property that is a low-security mental institution (historically a lepers' colony).  In the article of the RC archdiocesan website:

la comunidad San Espiridión ha estado celebrando sus liturgias por más de 10 años, gracias a la generosidad y solidaridad del Arzobispo de San Juan quien les cedió el uso del templo por tiempo indefinido. Sin duda, un gran gesto de ecumenismo puesto en práctica.

Translation (mine):  The community of St. Spyridon has been celebrating their liturgies [at their current location{my note for context}] for more than ten years, thanks to the generosity and solidarity of the Archbishop of San Juan, who granted use of the temple for an indefinite time.  Without a doubt, a great gesture of ecumenism put into practice.

Also, the words of the concelebrating RC priest:

Les transmito la alegría del Arzobispo Mons. Roberto González Nieves quien ha querido quitar la incertidumbre que existía sobre cuándo o cómo se debía realizar este acuerdo y dijo que es tiempo ya de hacerlo, y aquí estamos.

Translation (mine):  I convey to you the joy of Archbishop Monsignor Roberto González Nieves who wanted to remove the uncertainty that existed as to when or how this agreement should be made and said that it is time to do so and here we are.

I conjecture that the RC Archbishop called them to task as to start paying for the chapel and/or buy it.  It's more convenient to just give in than to have to be put out of a nice, safe facility and have to raise money (Sell pirogi?  What do apostate Montenegrins sell?) to find a place.

It could be worse; the apostate and former archimandrite willfully led his flock for theological or very personal reasons.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

A punner in our midst!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I have splited posts being an off-topic to the thread called Apostolic succession, apostasy, schism

Dominika,
Global Moderator
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Xavier

• High Elder

1. This is true so far as faithful or priests preserving unity in a local Church is concerned, as also St. Ignatius of Antioch says, that all the faithful are to remain subject to their priests and all to the priests to their Bishops; it doesn't address how the faithful are to know which group of Bishops to preserve communion with should a schism arise in the episcopacy itself, which is what is relevant to the Catholic-Orthodox matter.

The same St. Ignatius provides the answer, when he speaks of the Church of Rome presiding over the brotherhood in love, a phrase (St. Ignatius and other Fathers speak of the Bishop as "presiding" and "president" of his local Church, as of course he is) that applies to the role of the Church of Rome in the hierarchical structure of the universal Church a role analogous to that which belongs to a Bishop in his local Church, namely to be the centre of unity against any schisms.

Whom will you sacramentally communicate with if two bishops, otherwise believing identically, separate from communion with each other? We for our part remain in the communion of the Church of Rome which presides and wait for separated Christians to return to Catholic unity with the Apostolic Throne of St. Peter.

2. Mina, regarding "Apostolic Succession is not limited to Peter and Peter is not limited to Rome", Certainly. All Bishops are Successors of the Apostles. They are not all the direct Successors of St. Peter, however, and the two are related as the Succession of Prime Ministers in a country is to that of Chief Ministers of that same country. Both are a true example of an actual succession of ministers, but the prime minister holds the principal succession and the others exercise the fullness of their ministerial authority insofar s they do it with and under him. It is the same with the Roman Pontiff and the Bishops.

With regard to the second part, I actually agree completely with the excerpt Ialmisry posted from Pope St. Gregory the Great. The three sees that held the most prominence according to the most ancient canonical taxis were Rome, Alexandria and Antioch. Pope St. Damasus I states the same in 382 A.D as follows,
"the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by the conciliar decisions of other churches, but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior, who says: ‘You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church ... [Matt. 16:18–19]. The first See, therefore, is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it”.
He then enlists the Sees of Alexandria and Antioch and the Petrine basis for the prominence they always enjoyed from the days of antiquity. Do you agree that the first See has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it? If yes, what basis is there really for ever separating from Her communion?

3. A study of the incidents which happened in 1054 and the consequent excommunication of Caerularius for trampling upon the Holy Eucharist because it was consecrated in Azyme Bread (Fr. Adrian Fortescue chronicles this at length for those interested in the CE) will show that right and justice were on the side of the Roman Church. Even otherwise, the schism continues to the present day sheerly through an inertia that is unwilling to take the necessary steps towards restoring communion.

St. Irenaeus describes schism as originating when "those who, for trifling reasons, or any kind of reason that occurs to them" and this 1054 incident was the very definition of a trifle. To us Catholic Christians, the schism mainly still endures for political reasons especially now the Greek Church has signed a declaration with us saying the spiration of the Spirit from the Father is mediated by and through the Son; and the Oriental Church confesses together with us that in Christ divinity and humanity are perfectly united without mingling or confusion and without separation or alteration; what remains is only what St. Irenaeus calls "any kind of reason that occurs" for schism and truly trifles. Will address the other responses later.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
Whom will you sacramentally communicate with if two bishops, otherwise believing identically, separate from communion with each other?

Good thing this is completely beside the point.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

[/quote]

It gets better and better:
He has an official "Coat of Arms"  as of 2013 and is "Lord "of the manor of Deandraw in Alston Moor. The second and third quarters refer to the arms of the Earls of Derwentwater, the original owners of the manor now owned by the armiger."

http://www.armorial-register.com/arms-us/vujisic-a-arms.html

And he has received "Royal Patronage" for his diploma mill school:

On 29 of May 2015, HRH Crown Prince Nugzar Bagrationi-Gruzinski, (Georgian: ნუგზარ პეტრეს ძე ბაგრატიონ-გრუზინსკების), by the Grace of God, Head of the Royal House of Georgia, and Heir to the Throne of Georgia, extended his Royal Patronage to St. Gregory Nazianzen Institute for Eastern Christian Studies"

And in return the Royal House of Georgia has bestowed on Fr. Andrew "..membership in Princely-Count of the Georgian Kingdom
Ambassador-at-Large of The Royal House of Georgia"

https://orthodox-institute.org/faculty.html

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

He has an official "Coat of Arms"  as of 2013 and is "Lord "of the manor of Deandraw in Alston Moor. The second and third quarters refer to the arms of the Earls of Derwentwater, the original owners of the manor now owned by the armiger."

On 29 of May 2015, HRH Crown Prince Nugzar Bagrationi-Gruzinski, (Georgian: ნუგზარ პეტრეს ძე ბაგრატიონ-გრუზინსკების), by the Grace of God, Head of the Royal House of Georgia, and Heir to the Throne of Georgia, extended his Royal Patronage to St. Gregory Nazianzen Institute for Eastern Christian Studies"

And in return the Royal House of Georgia has bestowed on Fr. Andrew "..membership in Princely-Count of the Georgian Kingdom

[/quote]

So shameful.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
The same St. Ignatius provides the answer, when he speaks of the Church of Rome presiding over the brotherhood in love

"the Church which is beloved and enlightened by the will of Him that wills all things which are according to the love of Jesus Christ our God, which also presides in the place of the region of the Romans".

3. A study of the incidents which happened in 1054 and the consequent excommunication of Caerularius for trampling upon the Holy Eucharist because it was consecrated in Azyme Bread (Fr. Adrian Fortescue chronicles this at length for those interested in the CE) will show that right and justice were on the side of the Roman Church. Even otherwise, the schism continues to the present day sheerly through an inertia that is unwilling to take the necessary steps towards restoring communion.

After the Latin-rite Normans desecrated Greek churches in southern Italy.

Misleading tripe like this is why I despise apologetics.

With regard to the second part, I actually agree completely with the excerpt Ialmisry posted from Pope St. Gregory the Great. The three sees that held the most prominence according to the most ancient canonical taxis were Rome, Alexandria and Antioch. Pope St. Damasus I states the same in 382 A.D as follows,
"the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by the conciliar decisions of other churches, but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior, who says: ‘You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church ... [Matt. 16:18–19]. The first See, therefore, is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it”.
He then enlists the Sees of Alexandria and Antioch and the Petrine basis for the prominence they always enjoyed from the days of antiquity. Do you agree that the first See has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it? If yes, what basis is there really for ever separating from Her communion?

The popes of the day claimed a lot. The Eastern churches of the day ignored it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:53:19 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
The same St. Ignatius provides the answer, when he speaks of the Church of Rome presiding over the brotherhood in love

"the Church which is beloved and enlightened by the will of Him that wills all things which are according to the love of Jesus Christ our God, which also presides in the place of the region of the Romans".

You're missing that the above obviously means the Pope.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
I suppose titling things "An Orthodox in Puerto Rico enters communion with the Catholic Church" doesn't give as much wind to the sails as "The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico..."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

• Taxiarches

"which also presides" doesn't mean "which only presides"

It would take a great effort of doing hermeneutical gymnastics to make 'also' into 'only'. That, or a bunch of ellipses between "which... presides." I wouldn't be surprised if some Roman Catholic website reproduced the quote in that way.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:40:40 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »

• Taxiarches
I suppose titling things "An Orthodox in Puerto Rico enters communion with the Catholic Church" doesn't give as much wind to the sails as "The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico..."

#Fakenews

• Taxiarches

On 29 of May 2015, HRH Crown Prince Nugzar Bagrationi-Gruzinski, (Georgian: ნუგზარ პეტრეს ძე ბაგრატიონ-გრუზინსკების), by the Grace of God, Head of the Royal House of Georgia, and Heir to the Throne of Georgia, extended his Royal Patronage to St. Gregory Nazianzen Institute for Eastern Christian Studies"

Sounds like he's bucking for a guest appearance of Game of Thrones.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Regarding Ignatius, it's a non-sequitur to assume that "presiding in love" means that the Church of Rome has universal and immediate jurisdiction over the whole Church. Though consistent with that interpretation, it doesn't in any way prove it.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

"which also presides" doesn't mean "which only presides"

It would take a great effort of doing hermeneutical gymnastics to make 'also' into 'only'. That, or a bunch of ellipses between "which... presides." I wouldn't be surprised if some Roman Catholic website reproduced the quote in that way.

Regarding Ignatius, it's a non-sequitur to assume that "presiding in love" means that the Church of Rome has universal and immediate jurisdiction over the whole Church. Though consistent with that interpretation, it doesn't in any way prove it.

What is the subject of the verb "presides" here? I think you two are missing something.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
What is the subject of the verb "presides" here? I think you two are missing something.
The Roman Christians. Why?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:34:18 PM by byhisgrace »

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

Well that's flatly wrong.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru

What's the right answer?

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches

What's the right answer?

e ekklesia

But that's not my point. My point was to try to call attention to a joke that O4C missed, but it's time is past now.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
e ekklesia
So your interpretation of Ignatius's Epistle to the Romans is that he was saying that the Church as a whole presides in love, not just the Church of Rome?

But that's not my point. My point was to try to call attention to a joke that O4C missed, but it's time is past now.
Please tell me the joke.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:21:43 PM by byhisgrace »

Online Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
According to some Internet zealots it's only a matter of time before the rest of us under the EP follow them  :-\
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
e ekklesia
So your interpretation of Ignatius's Epistle to the Romans is that he was saying that the Church as a whole presides in love, not just the Church of Rome?

I don't think that's my interpretation. It's plain. The Church, worthy of this paragraph of honorable epigrams, the author knows also presides in the place of the Romans, i.e., his audience gives her due place. Do you want the sentence diagrammed?

Please tell me the joke.

That the Catholics think the "Him" in the highlighted sentence isn't Christ but the Pope.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:42:55 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
e ekklesia

I don't think that's my interpretation. It's plain. The Church, worthy of this paragraph of honorable epigrams, also presides in the place of the Romans. Do you want the sentence diagrammed?

Please tell me the joke.

That the Catholics think the "Him" in the highlighted sentence isn't Christ but the Pope.
Understood.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:43:36 PM by byhisgrace »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
According to some Internet zealots it's only a matter of time before the rest of us under the EP follow them  :-\

LOL, isn't that what they're always breathlessly saying?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:22:03 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches

So shameful.

I'm putting that on a mug.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
Do you agree that the first See has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it?
No.  Popes Honorious I and John XXII come to mind.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
Do you agree that the first See has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it?
No.  Popes Honorious I and John XXII come to mind.

Suppressor of the true followers of Francis Assisi. May God have mercy on his soul.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
It was a single parish not the entire Orthodox Church in PR.
Yes one single "mission parish"  with two clergy men.  I wonder in the alter boys in the picture are Fr. Peter DiLeo's sons.  If the parish is so small I guess that is why there are no pictures of the congregation. 

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
How do we really know that is true.  I say this because every article on the internet that mentions this was either written by Vujisic or his good friend who came with him from Australia Peter DiLeo.

If it were true why was it not on the official EP web site for example which has the minutes or summaries of the meetings of the Holy Synod?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
How do we really know that is true.  I say this because every article on the internet that mentions this was either written by Vujisic or his good friend who came with him from Australia Peter DiLeo.

If it were true why was it not on the official EP web site for example which has the minutes or summaries of the meetings of the Holy Synod?

That's a good question.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
Both Fr. Andrew Vujisic and Fr. Peter DiLeo (Vulic) were originally with the Antiochian Orthodox Church in Australia before moving to the ROCOR and onto the EP.
http://www.perspiring.com.au/perspiring-articles/1996/3/5/weeping-icon-focus-of-unholy-row/

March 5, 1996
Sydney Morning Herald
"Three Sydney clergy have been indefinitely suspended and face a "spiritual
court" over the removal of an allegedly miraculous, oil-perspiring icon of
Jesus Christ from a local church.

"The two priests and one deacon from the Antiochian Orthodox Diocese were
suspended in mid-February by Bishop Gabriel Gibran, the Church's head in
Australia, and will be called to appear before a religious tribunal later
this year.

"They are Father Zoran Vujisic, Father Peter Di Leo and Deacon Christopher
Henderson."

This article mentions their suspension etc.

Court decides who owns weeping cross
Author: By IAN VERRENDER
Date: 31/03/1996
Publication: Sydney Morning Herald
Section: NEWS AND FEATURES
Page: 2

A five-month battle over the ownership of a weeping crucified Jesus, ... was resolved in the Supreme Court on Friday.
Archbishop Gabriel Gibran, who heads the Antiochian Orthodox Church in
Australia, won control of the religious icon ...Three clerics, including two priests and a deacon who since have defected to the Russian Orthodox Church, have been suspended from the Antiochian Orthodox Church and threatened with excommunication by Archbishop Gibran as a result of the dispute.
Father Peter Di Leo, ...has left the country. The other priest, Father Zoran Vijisic, is believed to be in Europe, leaving  Deacon Chris Henderson to fight the case.

http://newsstore.smh.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=smh&kw=St.+and+Mary%2\
7s+and+Antiochian+and+Orthodox+and+Church&pb=all_ffx&dt=enterRange&dr=entire&sd=\
12%2F12%2F1994&ed=12%2F12%2F1998&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&s\
p=adv&clsPage=1&docID=news960331_0064_1284

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
^^ that's quite strange that priests of Serbian origin were under Antioch, since Serbian Church has a strong presence in Australia. It makes suspicious immediately.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
Well, but they're under the Supreme Pontiff now, so it's all cool regardless.  ;D

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
^^ that's quite strange that priests of Serbian origin were under Antioch, since Serbian Church has a strong presence in Australia. It makes suspicious immediately.

Then ran to ROCOR during the bad old days.  Not exactly uncommon for clergy facing discipline.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

That's a good question.

Fr. Peter DiLeo-Vulic used to be the web master for the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Mexico's web site but now he is Catholic.

I have been trying to find the official web site:  does anyone have a link?  It used to be:  www.goarchmexico.org  but that address now belongs  to a person supposedly named Johar Gorach.
I tried the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20140507094816/http://www.goarchmexico.org/guatemala.html
which led me to this.   http://archive.li/XeQ4P

This link no longer works too:  http://www.orthodoxiamexico.org/

What am I doing wrong?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
Nothing.  It appears the metropolis has no web presence, but hasn't for a while.

I didn't realize he had been the webmaster.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:35:24 PM by hecma925 »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
Nothing.  It appears the metropolis has no web presence, but hasn't for a while.

Gotta get called "Master" somehow...

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches

Gotta get called "Master" somehow...

Only Anastasios is Webdespota, in my book.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.

Pope Benedict? I know you are retired but how many times are you going to stir the pot on this forum?

I honestly think it would be cool to talk to a retired Pope  :P
I'm done.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru

Bravo Dominika - you are the only person in our group who caught this vital fact. 

I was just reading this great article about what one Serb thinks about all this via google translator:

http://www.carsa.rs/ponovo-unijacenje-pravoslavna-crkva-portorika-na-celu-sa-arhimandritom-srbinom-iz-crne-gore-priznala-papu/

And I love his pictures and comments.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches

That's a good question.

Fr. Peter DiLeo-Vulic used to be the web master for the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Mexico's web site but now he is Catholic.

I have been trying to find the official web site:  does anyone have a link?  It used to be:  www.goarchmexico.org  but that address now belongs  to a person supposedly named Johar Gorach.
I tried the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20140507094816/http://www.goarchmexico.org/guatemala.html
which led me to this.   http://archive.li/XeQ4P

This link no longer works too:  http://www.orthodoxiamexico.org/

What am I doing wrong?
If I see what's going on, this is absurdly juvenile.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

Bravo Dominika - you are the only person in our group who caught this vital fact. 

I was just reading this great article about what one Serb thinks about all this via google translator:

http://www.carsa.rs/ponovo-unijacenje-pravoslavna-crkva-portorika-na-celu-sa-arhimandritom-srbinom-iz-crne-gore-priznala-papu/

This article is hilarious.  So after leaving being suspended by his bishop in Australia and arriving in Puerto Rico 1996, Fr. Andrew Vujisic went back to his native Montenegro to try to convince  the Metropolitan of  Montenegro to the Puerto Rico mission under his jurisdiction?  Pretty far fetched plan.  I mean what connection does Puerto Rico have with Montenegro?  The first colony in an Empire perhaps?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
From a blog posting:

L’iniziatore del passaggio di comunione ecclesiale sembra essere stato l’archimandrita Andrej (al secolo Zoran Vujisić, nella foto), ex chierico dell’arcidiocesi del Messico, che nel 2009 era stato eletto vescovo dal Santo Sinodo del Patriarcato Ecumenico con il titolo di vescovo di Tralles, ma aveva richiesto di rimandare la sua consacrazione. Padre Andrej era stato anche il tramite per il quale il numeroso gruppo degli ortodossi del Guatemala era stato ricevuto nel Patriarcato Ecumenico.

Passaggi di chiesa come questo sono estremamente rari, e suscitano comprensibili perplessità, ancor più quando sono guidati da un personaggio che avrebbe potuto in ogni momento prendere il suo posto nell’episcopato ortodosso di Costantinopoli. In particolare, fanno scendere un’ombra sul concetto stesso di “pan-ortodosso” secondo il Patriarcato Ecumenico. Solo il 9 luglio scorso padre Andrew Phillips intitolava uno dei post del suo blog 'Pan-ortodosso' = non ortodosso?, e queste parole, che in sé potevano sembrare un po’ estremiste, acquistano un nuovo e inquietante senso alla luce dell’evento di Porto Rico. Se l’idea di una comunità “pan-ortodossa” riesce a essere così facilmente intercambiabile con l’uniatismo, forse è ora di rivedere urgentemente ciò che significa “pan-ortodosso” per tutti noi.

Google translate:

The initiator of the passage of ecclesial communion seems to have been Archimandrite Andrej (in the century Zoran Vujisić, pictured), former cleric of the archdiocese of Mexico, who in 2009 was elected bishop by the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate with the title of Bishop of Tralles, but had asked to postpone his consecration. Father Andrej was also the means by which the numerous orthodox group of Guatemala had been received in the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

Church passages like this are extremely rare, and they raise understandable perplexity, even more when driven by a character who could at any time take his place in the Orthodox Episcopate of Constantinople. In particular, they shadow the concept of "pan-orthodox" according to the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Only on 9 July Father Andrew Phillips named one of his blog posts 'Pan-Orthodox' = not Orthodox ?, and these words, which in themselves may seem somewhat extreme, acquire a new and disturbing sense in the light of the event Of Puerto Rico. If the idea of a "pan-orthodox" community is so easily interchangeable with uniatism, it is perhaps time to urgently review what "pan-orthodox" means for us all.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

This article is hilarious.  So after leaving being suspended by his bishop in Australia and arriving in Puerto Rico 1996, Fr. Andrew Vujisic went back to his native Montenegro to try to convince  the Metropolitan of  Montenegro to the Puerto Rico mission under his jurisdiction?  Pretty far fetched plan.  I mean what connection does Puerto Rico have with Montenegro?  The first colony in an Empire perhaps?

Thank you Orest for linking this article. Sad but true - that's the best comment.

Frankly speaking, I wasn't suspicious when this Serbian diocese in Latin America was created and firstly went under Montenegrin metropolitan, since quite a lot Serbs of Montenegrin origin in the end of XIX century and in the beginning of XX century went there, above all to Argentina. One of them was my great grandfather (however his daughetrs stayed in Yugoslavia).

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
The victory of two Serbian speaking Orthodox priests to the Catholic Church was reported on Croatian TV:

https://gloria.tv/article/qaKMvR1rJMDX1H311ZRUPKL3x

https://gloria.tv/article/kPTSCBWbcDHw1gTj8i6mwS7nv

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
The victory of two Serbian speaking Orthodox priests to the Catholic Church was reported on Croatian TV:

does that make them Croatian Puerto Ricans now ?
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

does that make them Croatian Puerto Ricans now ?

Well, actually, they should consider themselves and shoudln't be considered by others as Serbs. Are they Croats now?... The best way is to ask them ;)

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
I doubt they consider themselves Puerto Rican.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

I wonder how they managed to immigrate to Puerto Rico from Australia.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos

On a boat?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches

On a boat?

Or a plane, like most people.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

On a boat?

I meant the legal immigration process of getting a visa etc. and permanent status.     Why would they be accepted as immigrants?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
Puerto Rico is part of the United States.  So whatever it took them to get from Australia to the US.  A passport.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
I wonder if people who are ok with Coptic wrist tattoos consider that "polluting the temple"? Like are there acceptable reasons for polluting the temple? This pollution stuff is biblical language, but it doesn't seem to be what most critics are getting at these days. People damage and disfigure their bodies all the time in a thousand different ways, many of which are rarely or never criticized. More accurate language might be "people who get tattoos are dressing their temple with art I dislike." Though in temple art, also, Copts always seem to get a pass. Lucky. Selam?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
Wrong thread, maybe?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
lol, it would seem so  :-[  :laugh:

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
I agree with you, fwiw. 

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
Re: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters communion with the Catholic Church
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
Just an update.  This Catholic source article states that negotiations of the two priests to join the catholic Church began as early as 2015, that is two years before it happened.

Unable to secure a canonical release, the community sent a petition to Archbishop Gonzalez in 2015, requesting information about entering into full communion. 

https://parma.org/news/puerto-rico-welcomes-first-ever-eastern-catholic-parish

The San Juan de Climaco Orthodox mission under Fr Gregorio Justinano of the ROCOR is still Orthodox.

Both the priest and his two sons continue to be listed on official ROCOR site:
https://eadiocese.org/clergy.html

One son is a monk: https://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/fr-silouan-justiniano-returning-to-puerto-rico-with-icons/

This is their parish blog on the web:  https://misionsanjuanclimaco.blogspot.ca/

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
Re: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters communion with the Catholic Church
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
Fr. Gregorio actually has 3 sons.  One hieromonk, one deacon, and one monk.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »

On a boat?

I prefer not to tempt physics.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
Fr. Gregorio actually has 3 sons.  One hieromonk, one deacon, and one monk.

What no daughters? 

Do you know anything about Father Christopher Grist who also joined the catholic Church?
https://parma.org/news/puerto-rico-welcomes-first-ever-eastern-catholic-parish

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
I know nothing of this Latin priest Christopher.