Author Topic: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters communion with the Catholic Church  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Xavier

• Elder
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
"That they All may be One, that the World may believe that Thou has sent Me"

"The welcome ceremony was presided over by the Vicar General of the Archdiocese, father Alberto Figueroa Morales on behalf of the Archbishop. The priests and parishioners made the profession of faith and during the liturgy commemorated the Supreme Pontiff, Francisco and metropolitan Robert.

https://holysynergy.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/breaking-news-the-orthodox-church-of-puerto-rico-enters-into-communion-with-the-catholic-church/

"I follow no leader but Christ and join in communion with none but your blessedness [Pope St. Damasus I], that is, with the Throne of Peter. I know that this is the rock on which the Church has been built." (St. Jerome, Letters 15:2 [A.D. 396])

When are the other separated Churches going to restore communion with the Throne of St. Peter?
An empty tomb is there to prove my Savior lives!

"This is the night when Christ broke the prison-bars of death and rose victorious from the underworld.
Our birth would have been no gain, had we not been redeemed. O wonder of your humble care for us!
O love, O charity beyond all telling, to ransom a slave you gave away your Son!
O truly necessary sin of Adam, destroyed completely by the Death of Christ!
O happy fault - that earned for us so great, so glorious a Redeemer!" ~ The Exsultet

Offline youssef

• Elder
Really sorry but i cannot get any other reaction :  ;D ;D ;D

In the way you are presenting the news. it is like you hade made a great victory
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:01:04 AM by youssef »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Glory to God that Orthodoxy has not died in Puerto Rico.

http://misionsanjuanclimaco.blogspot.com/
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Xavier

• Elder
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
Not a question of "victory" but a healing of schism by a return to unity. Schism begs the question of how we can tell where is the Church and who is right in claiming to belong to and represent Her when two sides are separated. The Catholic Church has a simple and evident answer discernible to all, even a child of 5. By pointing out Apostolic Succession in the Throne of Peter, and ensuring all Bishops preserve unity of faith and communion with their head and chief. What is Orthodoxy's answer? What is your approach to healing the schism and how do you know for sure you are on the right side and in full communion with the universal Church? How will you identify the Apostolic Church by Her marks, especially the mark of Apostolicity, to know for sure which side is right when a schism arises?
An empty tomb is there to prove my Savior lives!

"This is the night when Christ broke the prison-bars of death and rose victorious from the underworld.
Our birth would have been no gain, had we not been redeemed. O wonder of your humble care for us!
O love, O charity beyond all telling, to ransom a slave you gave away your Son!
O truly necessary sin of Adam, destroyed completely by the Death of Christ!
O happy fault - that earned for us so great, so glorious a Redeemer!" ~ The Exsultet

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
The Apostolic Church is where the faithful gather around their right-believing bishop and celebrate the eucharist.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Lately, I've been trying to learn Spanish to see if I can expand my options to consider doing residency in PR.  If that happens, then I hope there is still an Orthodox Church there for me to commune.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
What a shame that one of the Orthodox communities in Puerto Rico has abandoned the Faith and fallen into schism along with Rome.  I am saddened by this news.  :'(
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Not a question of "victory" but a healing of schism by a return to unity. Schism begs the question of how we can tell where is the Church and who is right in claiming to belong to and represent Her when two sides are separated. The Catholic Church has a simple and evident answer discernible to all, even a child of 5. By pointing out Apostolic Succession in the Throne of Peter, and ensuring all Bishops preserve unity of faith and communion with their head and chief. What is Orthodoxy's answer? What is your approach to healing the schism and how do you know for sure you are on the right side and in full communion with the universal Church? How will you identify the Apostolic Church by Her marks, especially the mark of Apostolicity, to know for sure which side is right when a schism arises?

Apostolic succession is not limited to Peter, and Peter is not limited to Rome.  So we don't quite understand why that really is a necessary dogma.  A theological opinion perhaps, but the Orthodox Church is fine just the way she is without the need for a central place in Rome.  If Rome is destroyed, the Church still moves on.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
Lately, I've been trying to learn Spanish to see if I can expand my options to consider doing residency in PR.  If that happens, then I hope there is still an Orthodox Church there for me to commune.

You may have to drive a little farther.

What a shame that one of the Orthodox communities in Puerto Rico has abandoned the Faith and fallen into schism along with Rome.  I am saddened by this news.  :'(

It is.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Sunday morning swim to the US Virgin Islands  :P

(Coptic Church is there)

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
Just saw a Catholic friend of mine on Facebook praising God over this happening and linked to the article. Came here to see if anyone had mentioned it yet. A shame, but it seems like Central/South America is overall a very unstable place when it comes to religious allegiances.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
What was the impetus for the switch to Catholicism, I wonder.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
This is bad news. They are making unity more difficult if not only supporting known heresies of old even just papal supremacy.  I have no problem if they really think they found the truth but if they are leaving just to make unity or they allow others to pursuade them because they hate orthodox doctrines they can not prove wrong they were never really orthodox to begin with. Once you convert to orthodoxy you should not convert to anything else unless you found the truth. Those who are orthodox must not become anything else especially those born so because they have no valid pressure from anyone. Why do they convert even those not born so unless they feel they are hurting family
I hope them to be saved if they teach orthodox doctrines but I don't know I think so but they won't be full. Those who are not orthodox don't need to be orthodox because they do not know they must and they may feel they are causing divisions. They have the same reward if they teach orthodox beliefs

I am not trying to rival the Catholic Church those who rival as Paul says in Galatians will not inherit the kingdom but I think this is what they are doing and it is insulting. They have not accepted us though
we accepted them

Unity only has a chance of happening through truth
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:08:05 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Never heard of the Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
I actually believe they can be saved but I don't know but they don't help unity they will have less reward and are not full. Less reward for a couple of reasons. Someone who never left orthodoxy they believed in or at all I never say they are not saved even if they believe in some heresies but they have less reward. They are saved because they are not sure of the truth but they have less reward for they don't support the truth. In this case they also want to insult orthodoxy so it is different
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:14:39 PM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
It was a single parish not the entire Orthodox Church in PR.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Anyway I am tempted to say hell is only for unrepentant evil people only God knows who they are we must not judge

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
LOL To their own doom. Now they have to deal with Pope Francis.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Who were they anyway? Vagantes?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
It was a parish under the EP.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
Nobody gave a reason for leaving?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
So a single parish joins Rome, and that causes you to want to stage a Roman-like Triumph and Victory Parade through the streets of San Juan? WOW. Just WOW. And not in a good way.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
The Apostolic Church is where the faithful gather around their right-believing bishop and celebrate the eucharist.

+1000.  That is unity, not everyone paying lip service to a fallible man who thinks he's infallible, because that's a great solution which never caused schism ever.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Diego

• High Elder

+1000.  That is unity, not everyone paying lip service to a fallible man who thinks he's infallible, because that's a great solution which never caused schism ever.

+INFINITUDE! Although my Orthodox brothers may disgree on the concept that Missouri Synod has about every Pastor a Bishop, the sentiment is still shared.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR-WR

"The welcome ceremony was presided over by the Vicar General of the Archdiocese, father Alberto Figueroa Morales on behalf of the Archbishop. The priests and parishioners made the profession of faith and during the liturgy commemorated the Supreme Pontiff, Francisco and metropolitan Robert.

https://holysynergy.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/breaking-news-the-orthodox-church-of-puerto-rico-enters-into-communion-with-the-catholic-church/

"I follow no leader but Christ and join in communion with none but your blessedness [Pope St. Damasus I], that is, with the Throne of Peter. I know that this is the rock on which the Church has been built." (St. Jerome, Letters 15:2 [A.D. 396])

When are the other separated Churches going to restore communion with the Throne of St. Peter?

Pope Benedict? I know you are retired but how many times are you going to stir the pot on this forum?

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
So a single parish joins Rome, and that causes you to want to stage a Roman-like Triumph and Victory Parade through the streets of San Juan? WOW. Just WOW. And not in a good way.

The only ones who take Rome seriously at this point is Rome. They have an inferiority complex they need to confirm.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA

When is the "Throne of Peter" going to restore over itself the leadership of Christ?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

As a child of 5, I knew there were 12 Apostles.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
Sunday morning swim to the US Virgin Islands  :P

(Coptic Church is there)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:58:58 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

Offline Diego

• High Elder

The only ones who take Rome seriously at this point is Rome. They have an inferiority complex they need to confirm.

I think you are entirely right on that point.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
Does that make Archimandrite Andrija a Croat now?

So this happens a month ago.  My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago.  No one made mention of this.  Commemorated the EP in liturgy.  Shady, shady, shady.

Thank God neither of us took their bread and wine.

Haven't seen a statement from the EP.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:13:40 PM by hecma925 »

• Taxiarches
So this happens a month ago.  My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago.  No one made mention of this.  Commemorated the EP in liturgy.  Shady, shady, shady.

Wow, shady is the word alright!  What gives, Xavier?

Amen!
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

[/quote]

Ah he is a Croat now.  That explains it all.  I thought the name of Archimandrite   Andrew Vujisic sounds familiar.  Doesn't he already have a record of jurisdiction hopping?    First showing up connection with the Antiochians in Australia and then moving to the ROCOC in Puerto Rico and then to EP ? 

https://orthodoxwiki.org/Andrew_(Vujisi%C4%87)_of_Tralles

And then there was the whole mysterious story of a supposed Myrrh-streaming Icon at his church in Australia before he left.

Sounds like a parody of aN Orthodox soap opera doesn't it.

• Taxiarches

Ah he is a Croat now.  That explains it all.  I thought the name of Archimandrite   Andrew Vujisic sounds familiar.  Doesn't he already have a record of jurisdiction hopping?    First showing up connection with the Antiochians in Australia and then moving to the ROCOC in Puerto Rico and then to EP ? 

And then there was the whole mysterious story of a supposed Myrrh-streaming Icon at his church in Australia before he left.

I have the perfect title:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:09:51 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
I like Coptic Orthodoxy.
Learn meditation.

• Taxiarches
I like Coptic Orthodoxy.

And we like you!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

I have the perfect title:

;D

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
At one point, (2009 iirc) Arch. Andrija was a bishop-elect.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
At one point, (2009 iirc) Arch. Andrija was a bishop-elect.

Maybe he'll have better luck among the Catholics. 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

The article says he is Montenegrin.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:08:17 PM by Deacon Lance »
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
What a weird story. Lord, have mercy!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
It seems Fr. Andrew didn't take part in this schism, he's in Guatemala right now. Fr. Peter DiLeo and Sdc. Spyridon Morrow are the ones who defected.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
The apostasy happened last month and he was involved.

RC Archdiocese website in Puerto Rico article (in Spanish)

http://elvisitantepr.com/acuerdo-entre-iglesia-ortodoxa-y-catolica-en-la-arquidiocesis/

Just because he's in Guatemala right now doesn't mean much.