Author Topic: If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
Re: If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »
No doubt that compassion is an important or essential principle for most traditions.  I just thought that boiling Buddhism down to those two principles seemed potentially influenced by Christian perspectives. Not as bad as the 19th century folks who viewed Hinduism as essentially trinitarian, but still. I'll soon be out of my depth on the topic though.

As for Christianity, there is definitive scriptural evidence that love is a fundamental principle. Perhaps an equivalent exists in Buddhism? Good point about it not being included in the Creed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:06:29 AM by Cognomen »
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
As for Christianity, there is definitive scriptural evidence that love is a fundamental principle. Perhaps an equivalent exists in Buddhism?
If by "love" you mean the Greek "agape" ("selfless commitment to the greatest good of another")  then corresponding Buddhist terms (in Pali) would be "metta" (selflessly cultivating the happiness or well-being of others) and "karuna" (selflessly removing the causes of suffering or unhappiness in others).

Metta and karuna are described in the Karaniya Metta Sutta.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
Yeah, metta is a very early and common principle in Buddhism. It seems to be pretty strongly emphasized in practice. As Jetavan pointed out, it is found in the most widely accepted Buddhist scriptures and would predate any contact with Christianity.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism?

Only in the sense that it would be fascinating to explore the fundamental philosophical basis not just of Buddhism but other religions as well. Especially in the area of metaphysics which can have profound implications to its adherents.

I enjoy studying comparative religion within Christianity (Calvinism vs Orthodox vs RC vs etc.) but not so much outside that. If I ever get around to looking more closely at Buddhism, or Islam or Hinduism or etc. I'd be more interesting in contrasting them with Orthodoxy and drawing sharp differences between both. It would also help in identifying sometimes when faithful Orthodox stray a bit too much into other religious ideals. However the issues Orthodox have is more remnants of stoicism, cynicism (in the classical sense) and neoplatonism. 
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »
If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism? . . .

Please share your opinions and musings about Buddhism.

Klaus Kenneth, I know and regularly meet him personally, wrote a book about his experiences with different religions: "Born to hate reborn to love". He was for three years a buddhist monk in the monastery of Ajahn Chah, a famous buddhist master in Thailand. Before (or after?) he was a yogi in India for seven years, and so on...
Klaus says that love, vision of light, .. and so on  in such far eastern traditions can be described very similiar to christian orthodox tradition. But when you experience true love/light in the orthodox church, you cannot longer compare it with the love, you had as a buddhist. Our language skills are unfortunately insufficient to describe feelings/experiences enough differentiating.
Klaus case is unique. I don't know another person who tried so many religions so seriously out like him. And now he's since 30 years an orthodox christian. Why should I then explore Buddhism? Maybe just for general education.
OUR TRUE IDENTITY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgdZZfVUh4

The only way to eternal life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXuoiIYhf4

The Goal of the Eastern Christian Monk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
::) People in every religion worth anything would say that. Other things members of every other religion would say:

"You can't truly understand my religion until you experience it from the inside."

"Most people who reject my religion are not actually rejecting it for what it is, but rather are rejecting some caricature of it."

"No religion makes sense of the world as well as mine does. My religion is the most coherent understanding."

"The truth and rightness of our worship/practices/ideas are clearly proven by their sheer beauty and transformative power."

"Thoughtful and good people routinely convert to my religion, but the only ones I've seen leave it are those who want to escape its truths, or who want to do evil things."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:25:47 PM by Asteriktos »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
"You can't truly understand my religion until you experience it from the inside."

Why is that a problem?

I agree with your other quotes as being eye-roll worthy, but I'm not sure about this one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:32:12 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
I already did. It's a religion of nihilism, at it's core. Which, I cannot accept. I'd just become an Agnostic if I wasn't Orthodox.

I find Buddhist philosophical ideas useful in understanding the human condition. Buddha was keen on that. Dukkha, human dissatisfaction, is  at the heart of why human beings suffer. There's no doubt about that, in my mind.

But the religion itself is nihilistic. It's an endless samsara, that only a select few Bodhisattva can escape and attain nibana.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:43:09 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

Why is that a problem?

I agree with your other quotes as being eye-roll worthy, but I'm not sure about this one.

They're not there to be eye rolled. His post is intended to attack Christianity.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »

Why is that a problem?

They're not there to be eye rolled. His post is intended to attack Christianity.

Only if you identify Christianity with bad apologetics common to other religions.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
As for Christianity, there is definitive scriptural evidence that love is a fundamental principle. Perhaps an equivalent exists in Buddhism?
If by "love" you mean the Greek "agape" ("selfless commitment to the greatest good of another")  then corresponding Buddhist terms (in Pali) would be "metta" (selflessly cultivating the happiness or well-being of others) and "karuna" (selflessly removing the causes of suffering or unhappiness in others).

Metta and karuna are described in the Karaniya Metta Sutta.

Yeah, metta is a very early and common principle in Buddhism. It seems to be pretty strongly emphasized in practice. As Jetavan pointed out, it is found in the most widely accepted Buddhist scriptures and would predate any contact with Christianity.

I'll stand down. And read those recommended books at some point, inshallah. Thanks for the responses. One of the two simple truths of Buddhism it is!
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.