Author Topic: If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism?
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism? . . .

Please share your opinions and musings about Buddhism.
Learn meditation.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: If you're a Christian would you explore Buddhism?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
No. It doesn't offer anything that I can't get a better version of from Orthodoxy.
God bless!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
No. It doesn't offer anything that I can't get a better version of from Orthodoxy.

+1

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »
Are the Orthodox against the World or do you generally accept it? . . . Why does Jesus reject the world yet we're still in it? Don't know
Learn meditation.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
Depends on how you mean "explore."

Would I read about it and be willing to learn more? Sure.

But would I practice it in any meaningful sense to try to figure it out? Not really.

Out of curiosity, I would actually like to learn more about Buddhism, but with my somewhat limited resources I can't seem to get past the bougie appropriated version that passes off as some kind of liberal vaguely-spiritual athiesm in the U.S.'s major metros. I know there is more (and much weirder aspects) to Buddhism; I just don't know where to look when my interest is piqued.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »

Well, you could say the same thing about reading Homer, Plato, Shakespeare, Dante, etc.

Of course it depends what is meant by "explore." Practicing, adhering, or somehow trying to syncretize it as something equal to Orthodox Christianity or having insights not attainable in Orthodoxy is unacceptable. But studying pagan wisdom can do a lot to help prepare us in understanding Christian wisdom better, for those who are capable of it.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »

But would I practice it in any meaningful sense to try to figure it out? Not really.

Out of curiosity, I would actually like to learn more about Buddhism, but with my somewhat limited resources I can't seem to get past the bougie appropriated version that passes off as some kind of liberal vaguely-spiritual athiesm in the U.S.'s major metros. I know there is more (and much weirder aspects) to Buddhism; I just don't know where to look when my interest is piqued.

I've mentioned these before, but two books I would strongly recommend are In the Buddha's Words, a thematic selection of Theravada sutras by the monk Bhikkhu Bodhi, and The Way to Buddhahood by Yin Shun, a popular summa of Mahayana Buddhism (Chinese, in particular) roughly equivalent to a dogmatic theology in Christian parlance.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »

That's what drives me nanners.    What does worry me though is I doubt "Eastern" Orthodox is immune to going the way of the bobo. \

Take that out of the equation:  I don't know how one can be uninterested in it if one just looks at how many people have practiced it, and what it has produced.  I just have to get over the obsession with it from "spiritually conscience" people in the US (and probably Europe from what I can tell)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:08:11 AM by William T »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »

That's what drives me nanners.    What does worry me though is I doubt "Eastern" Orthodox is immune to going the way of the bobo.

That element exists, no doubt.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »

I've mentioned these before, but two books I would strongly recommend are In the Buddha's Words, a thematic selection of Theravada sutras by the monk Bhikkhu Bodhi, and The Way to Buddhahood by Yin Shun, a popular summa of Mahayana Buddhism (Chinese, in particular) roughly equivalent to a dogmatic theology in Christian parlance.
Many thanks.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »

Well, you could say the same thing about reading Homer, Plato, Shakespeare, Dante, etc.

Of course it depends what is meant by "explore." Practicing, adhering, or somehow trying to syncretize it as something equal to Orthodox Christianity or having insights not attainable in Orthodoxy is unacceptable. But studying pagan wisdom can do a lot to help prepare us in understanding Christian wisdom better, for those who are capable of it.

Well stated

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »

No, I would not.

I am aware of God's Truth, revealed through His Son, Jesus Christ, and His Church.  I lack for nothing in my life.  There is no need to "explore" any other Faith.

Would I read about Buddhism?  Yes, if only to garner a perfunctory knowledge of what these people believe, and what it is that misleads them....so, that I could hold a decent conversation with someone if the topic comes up.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

I would also add Shantideva's The Way of the Bodhisattva, in particular the 14th Dalai Lama's commentary on it.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »

I think its called 'Direct Experience' . . .
Learn meditation.

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
Learn about? Yes. Do anything more with? No.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »

I was interpreting the question as in "practice" it. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with learning more about it, but I would never consider it as an option for adherence.
God bless!

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »
You never know until you try.
Learn meditation.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »

Perhaps I'll sacrifice a child to Moloch as well, just to see what it's like.  You never know.

Offline Reader KevinAndrew

• Jurisdiction: Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »

I'm not clear what you mean by 'explore.' Jesus Christ said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (Gospel according to St. John 14:6). So based on what Our Lord said and spelled out very clearly, I just don't see any added value that Buddhism offers. So, as a Christian, the answer would be clearly 'no.'

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »

...but, you are missing the point.  Why even try?

When you have everything....there's nothing more you need.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
Read as history or anthropology, sure. "Explore" religiously? No. My Father and Saviour content me.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »
Some Mormons are exploring Buddhism. (Now, whether Mormons are "Christian" is another issue, but I digress.):

Born into a blue-blooded LDS family with relatives that included high-level church leaders, McConkie left the faith as a teenager, spending his 20s traveling and working in Europe and Asia while studying Buddhism and developing a meditation practice. It took more than 15 years for him to make peace with his Mormon upbringing and to realize he wasn’t done with the faith.

“It was my Buddhist meditation practice that helped deepen my understanding of Christianity and deepen my Christian faith,” he said.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Some Mormons are exploring Buddhism. (Now, whether Mormons are "Christian" is another issue, but I digress.):

Born into a blue-blooded LDS family with relatives that included high-level church leaders, McConkie left the faith as a teenager, spending his 20s traveling and working in Europe and Asia while studying Buddhism and developing a meditation practice. It took more than 15 years for him to make peace with his Mormon upbringing and to realize he wasn’t done with the faith.

“It was my Buddhist meditation practice that helped deepen my understanding of Christianity and deepen my Christian faith,” he said.

Yeah, that's kind of the opposite of a recommendation. Mormons who think Buddhism strengthened their "Christian faith." Uh huh.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »

Because you have to really try and make the history milestone marker.
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
Read as history or anthropology, sure. "Explore" religiously? No. My Father and Saviour content me.

If you're content then why is it a large expanse of air? ...
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »

Maybe you didn't mean by "explore" what I and maybe some others think you meant. To "explore Buddhism" sounds to me like investigate its religious value for oneself, and indeed I think that's what the term usually means.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »

Maybe you didn't mean by "explore" what I and maybe some others think you meant. To "explore Buddhism" sounds to me like investigate its religious value for oneself, and indeed I think that's what the term usually means.

Probably means reading posts at "Dharmawheel" Mayahana and discussion forum for Theravada
Learn meditation.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Nonsense.

People convince themselves of all manner of things...just to justify their own actions.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

Might as well add '100 things Buddha never said' . . .
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »

Probably means reading posts at "Dharmawheel" Mayahana and discussion forum for Theravada

Not really interested. Unless I had some specific research to perform.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »

Might as well add '100 things Buddha never said' . . .

Now you're talking sense.

Offline Anthony1986

• Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
No, I won't explore Buddhism . I believe in ONE GOD, the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is son of God, both Divine and Human.
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »

Nonsense.

People convince themselves of all manner of things...just to justify their own actions.

I generally agree. ^
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:21:15 PM by WPM »
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 06:21:58 PM »

Like the Kursk Root Icon of Theotokos? ...
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »

Does 'Mystical Body of Christ' mean Us and His Body Joined to the God-Head? ...
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

Does 'Mystical Body of Christ' mean Us andwho are His Body Joined to the God-Head? ...

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
I already did. I won't do it again.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »
My Priest told me he likes Buddhism as a philosophy but not as a religion. I agree with him. The essence of Buddhist philosophy is two simple truths, both of which are quite compatible with the Gospel: 1) suffering is the unavoidable fate of all human beings, 2) the answer to suffering is to cultivate compassion for others.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
Might be called delusional disorder
Learn meditation.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »
The essence of Buddhist philosophy is two simple truths, both of which are quite compatible with the Gospel: 1) suffering is the unavoidable fate of all human beings, 2) the answer to suffering is to cultivate compassion for others.

To my knowledge, that is not the essence of Buddhist philosophy. If we're going to talk about truths of Buddhism, you should probably reference the Four Noble Truths, none of which state that cultivating compassion for others is the answer to suffering.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
Compassion would be considered something embedded in the Eightfold Path.

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »
Only if God didn't exist.  ::)
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »

Agreed, but it still would not be one of "two simple truths" of Buddhism.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:52:22 AM by Cognomen »
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
Whoops.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:51:49 AM by Cognomen »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »

Agreed, but it still would not be one of two truths of Buddhism.

There are a couple of ways Buddhism gets summed up. The Four Noble Truths, three seals, etc are ancient ways of doing this, but I don't think any Buddhist tradition would disagree that compassion is an essential principle- perhaps in some ways the essential principle.

Likewise we can say love is a fundamental principle of Christianity, even though it is not explicitly mentioned in the creed.