OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are there any professional scientists that participate on this forum who are Orthodox?
Yes, I am a scientist. - 5 (83.3%)
No, I am not a scientist. - 1 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you be a scientist and an Orthodox Christian?  (Read 2747 times) Average Rating: 0
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« on: September 20, 2005, 10:04:02 AM »

Hello,
I was discussing with my husband (who is not christian) about the FSM (flying spaghetti monster) and Bobby Henderson's ideas.  If any of you are unfamiliar with his hilarious website here it is: www.venganza.org/   ÃƒÆ’‚ However it is apparant that BH is poking fun at religion.  Anyway, my husband said that he would be suprised if there were any true scientists who were Orthodox Christians because that "archaic religion" is not compatible with scientific empirical evidence.  Therefore I decided to take a poll here to see if there are any scientists who are Orthodox Christians.  Thanks for your help.
God bless you all,   ÃƒÆ’‚ Juliana Smiley
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:12:16 AM »

There are scientists who are Orthodox.
Besides my own family, where there are 2 cousins currently studying bio-chemistry, I know many other Orthodox who work in the scientific fields. 
Most notably is Bishop Alexander Miliant (may he rest in peace) ROCOR, who worked for NASA up until just a few years ago.  Often he would give lectures about how science has never been able to discredit religion, and with modern technology and research, it has only supported certain aspects of Christianity.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:21:04 AM »

I hold a first class honours B.Sc. (batchelor of science degree), so I guess that makes me a scientist (though I don't work as one). I'm glad to say that your husband's opinion is flat out wrong. I know many Orthodox with academic backgrounds in things like science and engineering and I really can't see any conflict between Orthodoxy and science.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:25:55 AM »

Thank you for the replies thus far and keep them coming.  I appreciate your participation.      J
icxn
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 10:42:28 AM »

See: Nikola Tesla. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla)

Quote:

Nikola Tesla (July 10, 1856 — circa January 7, 1943; baptismal name: Никола) was an inventor, physicist, mechanical engineer, and electrical engineer. He is often regarded as one of the greatest geniuses of technological progression. [2] In addition, Tesla is recognized among the most innovative engineers of the late 19th century and early 20th century. His patents and theoretical work form the basis of modern alternating current electric power (AC) systems, including the polyphase power distribution system and AC motor, with which he helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution.
(...)
His father was Rev. Milutin Tesla, a priest in the Serb Orthodox Church Metropolitanate of Sremski Karlovci. His mother was Đuka Mandić, herself a daughter of a Serbian Orthodox priest, who was talented in making home craft tools...

Enjoy Smiley
icxn
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 11:06:37 AM »

...hilarious...

Hilarious?

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 12:11:47 PM »

Juliana,
A while back in an Evolution thread we had an Orthodox member here state that he was a microbiologist and had no problem.

icxn has pointed out Tesla.

The inventor of the Pap Smear was a practising Orthodox Christian and I know tons on Orthodox physicians who are basically just working in applied research.

On a general note, a couple of month's ago the Wall Steet Journal had a piece on a poll/study of the scientific community in general on the topic of belief. (I have since discarded the issue, unfortuntately, so I must go from memory here.) The results shocked the reseachers. Of those who responded, and it was a large study, 45% of scientists in the behavorial sciences professed firm belief in a supreme diety. But, the surprise was the 56+% of physical scientists who so responded- geologists, chemists, physicists, astronomers, cosmologists, etc.
Don't know how many were Orthodox....

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »

I have a close friend from church who is the head of the geology department at a major mid-west university. He sees no conflict between Orthodoxy and science.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 04:19:25 PM »

Hooray!  I am pleased to hear that there are indeed scientists  who are Orthodox Christians.  Thank you for the replies....especially Aristokles, because it is important that "Physical" scientists, some whom espouse things such as the Big Bang theory and the evolution of man, can reconcile it all to the Triune God.  My husband periodically makes comments about how he says my faith is based on something that took place in antiquity.  Let me say that he doesn't have a problem with me being a Christian...but he feels that to be an Orthodox Christian I must reject modernity and technology.  It bothers him that I submit myself to the authority of the Church  (which he feels is sexist and Greek in culture).  I try not to bring up religion with him but it is difficult for him to not notice some things (such as fasting) which not only irritates him but also puts a damper on him participating in "extracurricular activities".  But that is for another thread.   Again, thank you all for your input.  Please pray for me to be patient and loving with  my husband Nick and for him.
God bless,    Juliana
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »

Hello,
I was discussing with my husband (who is not christian) about the FSM (flying spaghetti monster) and Bobby Henderson's ideas.  If any of you are unfamiliar with his hilarious website here it is: www.venganza.org/    However it is apparant that BH is poking fun at religion.  Anyway, my husband said that he would be suprised if there were any true scientists who were Orthodox Christians because that "archaic religion" is not compatible with scientific empirical evidence.  Therefore I decided to take a poll here to see if there are any scientists who are Orthodox Christians.  Thanks for your help.
God bless you all,    Juliana Smiley

I'm a Computer Engineer, don't know if that stands enough for being a scientist or not.  Wink

Well, anyways, tell your husband the greatest scientists of all time were Christians, some of them being Roman Catholic, or Anglican. Some big names are: Isaac Newton, Johann Kepler (who wanted to be a theologian), Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin, that would be), Pascal, Maxwell, Faraday, Pasteur and lots lots more. Fleming was a preacher I think.
I think (I may be mistaken) that even the director of Nasa, Wehrner von Braun was a christian.
Those were not Orthodox Christians however, for understandable reasons.
For one, I can point to a certain christian who is both Orthodox and a great scientist: the Metropolitan of Mesogaia kai Lavreotiki, Nikolaos, who studied Science at the Aristotlean University of Thessaloniki, then went forward to Harvard and Massachuchets for a Phd in Mechanology, Astrophysiks and Biotechnology. Then of course, he became a theologican, and a monk, and was soon to become a metropolitan as he is today.

That being the case, I can also point to St. Luke of Symferopole and Crimea, a devout doctor and... archbishop, who was declared a Saint by the Russian Orthodox Church just a few years ago. He lived during the difficult ages of the Soviet regime.

I'm pretty sure your husband needs an opinion shift on how 'archaic' Christianity is.

Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 07:13:44 AM »

Nikola Tesla (July 10, 1856 — circa January 7, 1943; baptismal name: Никола) was an inventor, physicist, mechanical engineer, and electrical engineer. He is often regarded as one of the greatest geniuses of technological progression. [2] In addition, Tesla is recognized among the most innovative engineers of the late 19th century and early 20th century. His patents and theoretical work form the basis of modern alternating current electric power (AC) systems, including the polyphase power distribution system and AC motor, with which he helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution.

Hooray!  Wink Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: