Author Topic: Considering the Oriental Orthodox Church again?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD/EP of Constantinople
Considering the Oriental Orthodox Church again?
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
I was born and raised as a Catholic. Last year, I left the Catholic Church to look at Eastern Orthodoxy or Oriental Orthodoxy. At that time I chose Eastern Orthodoxy because I thought the Oriental Orthodox were Monophysites. Now, while I had a discussion with a Coptic Orthodox, he told me that what the Oriental Orthodox believe about the Christology is pretty much the same as the Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant belief when I told him that when I left the Catholic Church, I've considered Oriental Orthodoxy. That is to say, I learned that the Oriental Orthodox Miaphytism is about.
About the Chalcedonian debate, I know for sure that Jesus had two natures, fully man and fully human. Without a fully human nature, Jesus could not reunite us with God's holiness and He could not be the "new Adam". But, that is all I know about that.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Considering the Oriental Orthodox Church again?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Neither position is heretical. There must be more to choosing a parish than Chalcedon?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • "The glory of God is in man fully alive."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of China
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:07:08 AM »
Why not visit the Orthodox parishes near you and join the one that's best fit for you?
"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »
I was born and raised as a Catholic. Last year, I left the Catholic Church to look at Eastern Orthodoxy or Oriental Orthodoxy. At that time I chose Eastern Orthodoxy because I thought the Oriental Orthodox were Monophysites. Now, while I had a discussion with a Coptic Orthodox, he told me that what the Oriental Orthodox believe about the Christology is pretty much the same as the Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant belief when I told him that when I left the Catholic Church, I've considered Oriental Orthodoxy. That is to say, I learned that the Oriental Orthodox Miaphytism is about.
About the Chalcedonian debate, I know for sure that Jesus had two natures, fully man and fully human. Without a fully human nature, Jesus could not reunite us with God's holiness and He could not be the "new Adam". But, that is all I know about that.
Dear TaiKamiya,

When you posted this, were you leading up to a question, like whether "what the Oriental Orthodox believe about the Christology is pretty much the same as the Eastern Orthodox" believe, or whether the Oriental Orthodox Church agrees that "Jesus had two natures, fully man and fully human" ones?
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
My advice is just stay put.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
Dear TaiKamiya,

When you posted this, were you leading up to a question, like whether "what the Oriental Orthodox believe about the Christology is pretty much the same as the Eastern Orthodox" believe, or whether the Oriental Orthodox Church agrees that "Jesus had two natures, fully man and fully human" ones?

This is a discussion best avoided.  I would instead urge TaiKamya, if she has any concerns on this point, to refer to Orthodox Christology, by Father Peter Farrington, which clarifies how the Oriental faith is that of St. Cyril, and thus, that of most EOs (and specifically, that our Lord from His full humanity reunites us with the divine nature of God through the mystery of the Incarnation).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
Fr Peter should be avoided.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Yes, it is probably best to avoid me.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »

Why?
+1

Personally, I really respect fr. Peter for his articles being "for" Orthodox unity and rbringing something new, not only claiming "we, OOs and EOs are both Orthodox and that's enough".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

Why?
Because I thought (and again this was years ago when he was active and I spent a lot of time over EOvsOO) his technical Christological arguments were strange, awkward and unclear. That's not to say EOs aren't guilty of this either (I might share a story with you on a conversation I had on this very topic with my priest, if you are interested), it's just I never could take Fr. Peter seriously.

Don't worry I never took him as the final word on OO Christology, which I am sympathetic towards, but when it starts to get technical I start to wince. The same goes for "two natures" language and saying stuff like "Well Christ's humanity was withheld so his divinity could raise Lazarus from the dead" which seems arbitrary to me. There seems to be this tendency where crypto-nestorianism can appear.

I'd rather keep things simple and stupid because Orthodoxy is totally and completely paradoxical, which I feel gets lost in the technical jargon between both traditions. Sure I can understand why these disputes were necessary over the centuries but I have no problem embracing the paradox that the ineffable, unknowable, uncreated, transcendent, infinite, eternal God became finite, grew in wisdom, aged, etc. Christ is God. So that means God hungered. God fasted. God cried. God healed the sick. God told parables. The Theotokos gave birth to God (talk about a total headtrip!), God suffered. God died. God rose from the dead. It's not "God suffered in his humanity" or "God gave sight to the blind by his divinity". That's nowhere to be found in the Holy Scriptures. Yes I agree Christ is fully God and fully man at all times and experienced everything during his earthly ministry that way, so that's where I have a lot of fondness towards OOs when it's not expressed so exactingly.

But anyway, you might think that's very vulgar but for me a god I can relate to, personable. Worthy of worship, praise and celebration. I just don't care much for the how many angels can dance on the head of a pin arguments.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:12:22 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
nothing,

I can sympathise with where you're coming from.  But even if you and I are comfortable with a "simpler" presentation of this truth, it is the case that a "more complex" presentation became necessary in the past because of confusion.  If Fr Peter is able to navigate those rough waters for the benefit of others, I think that's an asset, not a reason to avoid him. 

In any case, feel free to PM me the story about your priest.  I love hearing about other OCNetters' priests.  ;)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
I think, Nothing, that your ideal of a non-credal Orthodoxy is probably unique on this forum and so it's not very likely your objections to Fr. Peter's work are going to be the objections anybody else would have to it.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
I think, Nothing, that your ideal of a non-credal Orthodoxy is probably unique on this forum and so it's not very likely your objections to Fr. Peter's work are going to be the objections anybody else would have to it.

Indeed.  There was more than a faint whiff of sola scriptura in your post, nothing.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »
I can sympathise with where you're coming from.  But even if you and I are comfortable with a "simpler" presentation of this truth, it is the case that a "more complex" presentation became necessary in the past because of confusion.  If Fr Peter is able to navigate those rough waters for the benefit of others, I think that's an asset, not a reason to avoid him.

Maybe I should have been more careful in my previous post, but my recollection of what I have read and listened to (podcasts), Fr. Peter renders complexity into even more complexity to the point it becomes totally incoherent. That's why I said it's best to avoid him because you won't find clarity. But that's just my opinion and maybe the OP finds something illuminating in his works. He will have to decide that for himself.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
I understand that however my objections don't necessarily reside in my position, whatever that is.

Indeed.  There was more than a faint whiff of sola scriptura in your post, nothing.
I'm not a theologian, scholar or layman. Even less than a dilettante. I'm more than willing to concede I am wrong about what I have posted, I have no pride in defending it.

I would like to know however what you find bothersome in my post that says it was worse than simply some kind of sola scriptura. Where have I erred?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 03:29:10 AM »
If Fr Peter is able to navigate those rough waters for the benefit of others
From the EO-OO Christology war of 2011, I don't recall this being the case.

I remember something about Jesus's Divine Knowledge being like a cloud server and Jesus's human brain being a lookup list.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:30:09 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
As a Chalcedonian, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Oriental Orthodox communion. They share the same faith, just word it a bit differently than we do.

I will admit to being somewhat confused by the dig against Fr. Peter. I have always really enjoyed his comments.
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »

I remember something about Jesus's Divine Knowledge being like a cloud server and Jesus's human brain being a lookup list.

I wasn't here in 2011, but I'm fairly sure I don't trust your version. 

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »

A problem for both sides of Chalcedon, so let's not get smug.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
As a Chalcedonian, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Oriental Orthodox communion. They share the same faith, just word it a bit differently than we do.

Amen.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »

A problem for both sides of Chalcedon, so let's not get smug.
Have i been a triumphal chalcedonian? no. half the defenders of that idea back then were chalc
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:31:25 AM by NicholasMyra »
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Offline Remnkemi

• Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Christ is God. So that means God hungered. God fasted. God cried. God healed the sick. God told parables. The Theotokos gave birth to God (talk about a total headtrip!), God suffered. God died. God rose from the dead.
Ironically, I read this and thought "Sounds like Oriental Orthodoxy to the fullest. Not complex at all."

It's not "God suffered in his humanity" or "God gave sight to the blind by his divinity". That's nowhere to be found in the Holy Scriptures.
Then I read this and thought "Sounds like an indictment on Leo's Tome. Requires an equally "complex" response from OO, just like Fr Peter has done for years."

I just don't care much for the how many angels can dance on the head of a pin arguments.
Then I read this and thought "Leo of Rome, Flavian, Eutyches, Juvenal, Theodore of Mospuesta, Ibas the Iberian, Theodoret. Eusebius of Doryleum, Domonus of Antioch, Henotikon. Leontius of Byzantium, John Damasacus, Maximus the Confessor, Rakovsky, what else do I have to say? We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning. We didn't start the fire. No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:08:55 PM by Remnkemi »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
I just don't care much for the how many angels can dance on the head of a pin arguments.
Then I read this and thought "Leo of Rome, Flavian, Eutyches, Juvenal, Theodore of Mospuesta, Ibas the Iberian, Theodoret. Eusebius of Doryleum, Domonus of Antioch, Henotikon. Leontius of Byzantium, John Damasacus, Maximus the Confessor, Rakovsky, what else do I have to say? We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning. We didn't start the fire. No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it."

LOL!

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:
Since you mentioned me, I would like to ask you about what you wrote. Did the first direct and personal excommunication by one of our two communions of any leader of the other communion occur when Dioscorus and Ephesus II excommunicated the EO Saint Patriarch Flavian, either for his teaching that Christ had two natures or for Flavian's excommunication of the monophysite Eutyches?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:05:17 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:
Since you mentioned me, I would like to ask a question about what you wrote. Was the first time that any leaders of our two communions were personally and directly excommunicated by the other when Dioscorus and Ephesus II excommunicated the EO Saint Patriarch Flavian either for teaching that Christ had two natures or for Flavian's excommunication of the monophysite Eutyches?

;D
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
Christ is God. So that means God hungered. God fasted. God cried. God healed the sick. God told parables. The Theotokos gave birth to God (talk about a total headtrip!), God suffered. God died. God rose from the dead.
Ironically, I read this and thought "Sounds like Oriental Orthodoxy to the fullest. Not complex at all."

It's not "God suffered in his humanity" or "God gave sight to the blind by his divinity". That's nowhere to be found in the Holy Scriptures.
Then I read this and thought "Sounds like an indictment on Leo's Tome. Requires an equally "complex" response from OO, just like Fr Peter has done for years."

I read this and I thought, "Right on point!"

Then I read this and thought "Leo of Rome, Flavian, Eutyches, Juvenal, Theodore of Mospuesta, Ibas the Iberian, Theodoret. Eusebius of Doryleum, Domonus of Antioch, Henotikon. Leontius of Byzantium, John Damasacus, Maximus the Confessor,Rakovsky, what else do I have to say? We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning. We didn't start the fire. No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it."

Then I read this and thought, "This guy's high".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:06:56 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:
Since you mentioned me, I would like to ask a question about what you wrote. Was the first time that any leaders of our two communions were personally and directly excommunicated by the other when Dioscorus and Ephesus II excommunicated the EO Saint Patriarch Flavian either for teaching that Christ had two natures or for Flavian's excommunication of the monophysite Eutyches?

;D

I know, right?  :laugh:

You brought this on yourself, Rem.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
Mussolini, Captain Vegetable, Elisabet Bathory, Biz Markee, Sgt Slaughter, Manichaeus, Genghis Khan, Paul McCartney, Abraham Lincoln, Yang Guifei, Gargamel, Simon Magus, Speed Racer, Spartacus, Mansa Musa, Ibas of Edessa, Tsatthogua, Steve Urkel, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Julian of Halicarnassus, Rakovsky

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »

Amen.

This is much appreciated

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
Mussolini, Captain Vegetable, Elisabet Bathory, Biz Markee, Sgt Slaughter, Manichaeus, Genghis Khan, Paul McCartney, Abraham Lincoln, Yang Guifei, Gargamel, Simon Magus, Speed Racer, Spartacus, Mansa Musa, Ibas of Edessa, Tsatthogua, Steve Urkel, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Julian of Halicarnassus, Rakovsky

Lol
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »

+1

Typhoid Mary, Gyptian, Rani Lakshmibai, Papa Smurf, Giacomo Casanova, Coco Chanel, A Guy I Know From Work, Muhammad Ali Pasha, Aspasia of Miletus, Mad King George, Roseanne Roseannadanna, Major Garland Briggs, Nayvadius DeMun Wilburn, Norman Manley, Mary Boykin Chesnut, Cicero, HAL-9000, Rusty Shackleford, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Rakovsky
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »

+1

Typhoid Mary, Gyptian, Rani Lakshmibai, Papa Smurf, Giacomo Casanova, Coco Chanel, A Guy I Know From Work, Muhammad Ali Pasha, Aspasia of Miletus, Mad King George, Roseanne Roseannadanna, Major Garland Briggs, Nayvadius DeMun Wilburn, Norman Manley, Mary Boykin Chesnut, Cicero, HAL-9000, Rusty Shackleford, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Rakovsky

Now here is another worthwhile thread idea. 

Offline Remnkemi

• Elder
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:

;D

The point was not to list Chalcedonians who were excommunicated in any chronological order (many people on that list were not excommunicated at all). It was to point out people overcomplicated christology with concepts like "how many angels can dance on a christological pin". OO christology for the most part has refrained from complicated terminology and Aristotelian categories and maintained simple formulas like "Christ is one" to explain christology.  Some Chalcedonians insisted on elaborate philosophical terminology to explain christology and OO responded with more complicated terminology from St Severus and others.

Plus a little humor doesn't hurt even if it is historically inaccurate.

And for the record, I have no idea what your list means but it still sounds right (or at least I find myself singing it out loud)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 03:56:05 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:

;D

The point was not to list Chalcedonians who were excommunicated in any chronological order (many people on that list were not excommunicated at all). It was to point out people overcomplicated christology with concepts like "how many angels can dance on a christological pin". OO christology for the most part has refrained from complicated terminology and Aristotelian categories and maintained simple formulas like "Christ is one" to explain christology.  Some Chalcedonians insisted on elaborate philosophical terminology to explain christology and OO responded with more complicated terminology from St Severus and others.

And for the record, I have no idea what your list means but it still sounds right (or at least I find myself singing it out loud)

I take it back, OO Rakovsky.  You two have fun!  :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Remnkemi

• Elder
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:

;D

I prefer to be called "OO Dave".  :P

• Taxiarches
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
Dear Remnkemi:

;D

I prefer to be called "OO Dave".  :P

As in, this Dave?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 09:39:17 PM »

I wasn't here in 2011, but I'm fairly sure I don't trust your version.

JL, I am sure that we are in agreement.

As far as I can presently see the main difference between Themistius and the Orthodox view is that where the Orthodox would allow for the natural limitation of human knowledge 'en theoria', they did not allow that Christ lacked knowledge in the hypostatic union.

On the contrary, it would seem. Themistius wanted to say that Christ was lacking knowledge within the hypostatic union, and therefore that the divine knowledge was not allowed to permeate and impenetrate the human mind and nous (in a way which is unknown to us).

I have St Theodosius' work, Ad Theodoram, in front of me and I am engaged in translating it into English. It is all about those the Agnoetae and I believe it will be useful.

[Having given continuing thought to this subject, I think that I am presently attached to the undoubtedly poor analogy of an old PC connected to a very modern server. All of the data on the server is available to the PC through the union that has been made with the server and the PC, in a sense, expresses the data on the server within the limitations of its own construction. It is not able to store locally all the data on the server, but it has a real and immediate access to all the data on the server and is, in a poor sense, both an extension of the server, and a distinct instance of a PC rather than a server.

It could perhaps be imagined that the server has Admin access and control over the PC, but this does not mean that the PC is not truly a PC rather than a server. It does not mean that all the limitations of the PC are overcome, but it does mean that the PC is protected perhaps by the anti-virus software on the server. It does mean that the PC has access to other networks through the server. It does mean that the server can run its own local programmes on the PC hard-drive. The PC never stops being a PC. But the union with the server extends and enhances the functionality and data which the unconnected PC might have had.

It might be said that another PC can also access some external data when a memory stick is plugged in (like the grace working in a saint), but this particular real PC is always connected to the server and all the data of the server is immediately and directly available to it. This does not mean that the countless Tb of data are all in the PC's RAM, indeed that would not be possible because of the structure of the PC's memory, but everything it ever needs to access in RAM, everything it could ever possibly need to access, and all the Tb of data it will never access are only a memory refresh away.

Now Themistius would seem to say, this PC has only got 512Mb of RAM and a 10 Gb hard drive. It is impossible for it to ever contain more than this amount of data. And Theodosius would answer, yes, on its own this is an old model PC and it can only hold that much data - BUT it is not on its own. It is connected to this server that has thousands of Tb of data which is all available to this little PC just as much as the local data it stores. When the data is in RAM it all looks the same and the PC operates exactly the same, but it has a union with the server which changes everything.]

Ref: Nicholas. If you are not willing to submit to the Fathers then how will you become Orthodox? What you are describing is essentially Protestantism. And we are not talking about a few Fathers. We are talking about St Cyril, St Severus, and both Fathers in the OO and EO traditions, and even the EO councils. This is not a theological opinion you can run with. It is a position which has been condemned.

Offline Remnkemi

• Elder
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:13:43 AM by Remnkemi »

• Taxiarches
Now accepting brief PMs.