Author Topic: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal  (Read 376 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
It is hard to imagine that controversy can become so engrained an attitude that even the words of hymns become the subject of polemics. But this is the case. In every Liturgy in our Orthodox services we sing the hymn of the Trisagion in one form or another, and in our Coptic Orthodox Tradition it usually has the words,

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, who was born of the Virgin, have mercy upon us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, who was crucified for us, have mercy upon us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, who arose from the dead and ascended into heaven, have mercy upon us.

Most of us sing this without any thought that it could be controversial. It is a Christological hymn, which unites the divine and human natures of Christ, the incarnate Word, reminding us of his divinity as God, and his experience as true man in being born of the Virgin, crucified and entering death for our sake, and rising from the dead and ascending into heaven as a man.

Nevertheless, the fact that the Eastern Orthodox have come to use the Trisagion as a Trinitarian hymn, and in a different form, has often led them to make it a means of polemics, insisting that difference means error...

http://www.stgeorgeministry.com/?p=1269
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
It is hard to imagine that controversy can become so engrained an attitude that even the words of hymns become the subject of polemics. But this is the case. ...

I just want to break in here to urge that the hymns of the church are no trivial matter. We imbibe that spiritual food with every worship service. Few things could be as critical.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:11:33 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:27:56 PM »
I agree that it's no trivial matter.  With that said, the controversy surrounding the Trisagion should not be controversial given the clarity of our theological position.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
I agree that it's no trivial matter.  With that said, the controversy surrounding the Trisagion should not be controversial given the clarity of our theological position.

+1

The article was another tour de force by Fr. Peter.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
The article was another tour de force by Fr. Peter.
I agree.  :)  Many of his articles have been helpful.

The first time I saw the hymn in this form was one of those epiphany moments.