Author Topic: Coffee with (Removed - Ancient Faith Radio)  (Read 11264 times)

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Coffee with (Removed - Ancient Faith Radio)
« Reply #540 on: September 25, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Well it's certainly an elegant attempt at any rate, but doesn't saying that desiring sin is ultimately a form of desiring God imply that His house is divided against itself a la Mark 3:24-26? I'm also not sure how this squares with James 1:13-16.

I think it goes more along the lines of understanding that evil has no real substance. It can only be a distortion of what God has made, of what is good, mistaking things for God that aren't. It does not mean that sin is a legitimate expression of the good creation, just that it can only cannibalize it. And we cannot cast out demons by demons.

This also doesn't really account for how anybody actually rebels against God in the first place. Were we just made flawed and sin basically happened at random (Adam and Eve one day just all of a sudden started mistaking evil for good)? Perhaps he addresses this somewhere else?

That's a fair point and to be honest I'm not sure if anyone has been able to adequately account for the fall. I haven't read DBH's books yet so I can't comment on whether he attempts to address it. The usual basic approach is to say Adam (like angels) was different from other creatures in that he was made to love God voluntarily, that is, he had the possibility of turning away. But why would he turn away? If we say that the temptation of the serpent was a major factor, then we have to ask why the devil turned away too. In any case Saint Maximus talks about this gnomic/ deliberative will in man, which could, under the influence of some deception, be exercised to choose something other than God, at which point the will becomes plunged into confusion and sin. Somehow the incarnation restores the human will, not merely to a pre-Fall state but something better. That stuff goes over my head at the moment. It seems to me there is no theological model that is problem free, but some are more helpful than others.

Huh, interesting. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd heard about the gnomic will, but I thought that for St. Maximus it was a product of the Fall and thus Christ didn't actually have one (and thus neither will we at the end).
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #541 on: September 25, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »
Clerical (including monks and nuns) gossip is fun. They can't defend themselves like people in the world. It's easy to do online.
If anyone can defend herself online, surely Sister Vassa... I am not sure if you have noticed, but although she formally is a nun, she doesn't live "outside the world" in a monastery. In fact, her "apostolic monasticism" is something your should be familiar with as a Roman Catholic. She herself admitted herself that her kind of life is not what is usual in Orthodoxy, and she is more inspired by Jesuits, such as Fr. Robert Taft SJ, a Greek Catholic Jesuite under whom she studied for a PhD in liturgical science.

It's also a sin.
Let that be between the individual and one's confessor... We deal with such issues with ikonomia, taking into account the individual criticism, its intentions and circumstances, not with "one size sits all" rules.

Just because someone studies Fr. Robert Taft does not make that person "inspired by Jesuits".  His research on liturgical studies is attested by most Orthodox institutions as an excellent study that deserves reading even for our own traditions.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #542 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:48 PM »
Clerical (including monks and nuns) gossip is fun. They can't defend themselves like people in the world. It's easy to do online.
If anyone can defend herself online, surely Sister Vassa... I am not sure if you have noticed, but although she formally is a nun, she doesn't live "outside the world" in a monastery. In fact, her "apostolic monasticism" is something your should be familiar with as a Roman Catholic. She herself admitted herself that her kind of life is not what is usual in Orthodoxy, and she is more inspired by Jesuits, such as Fr. Robert Taft SJ, a Greek Catholic Jesuite under whom she studied for a PhD in liturgical science.

It's also a sin.
Let that be between the individual and one's confessor... We deal with such issues with ikonomia, taking into account the individual criticism, its intentions and circumstances, not with "one size sits all" rules.
In a word, what are you trying to say?
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #543 on: September 26, 2017, 07:34:46 AM »
Just because someone studies Fr. Robert Taft does not make that person "inspired by Jesuits". 
I heard her say herself that her understanding of her monasticism is influenced by the Jesuit one, as she got to know it through him.

His research on liturgical studies is attested by most Orthodox institutions as an excellent study that deserves reading even for our own traditions.
I do not dispute the quality of his research. I say it's problematic to copy his lifestyle. Quite a difference.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #544 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
Here's St. Paul, who got trained by a Pharisee: "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was just as zealous for God as any of you are today." - Acts 22:3

Here's St. Gregory the Theologian, who had both a Christian and pagan Greek education, saying he admires the life of people who deny the full divinity of the Holy Spirit: "This we concede to you in whom we do find something of vital truth, who are sound as to the Son.  We admire your life, but we do not altogether approve your doctrine." - St. Gregory the Theologian, Oration 41.8

It is possible to learn from someone, and even be inspired by them, while not becoming 'tainted,' or if at first 'tainted' then not continuing as such later on.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:05:16 AM by Asteriktos »