Author Topic: Coffee with (Removed - Ancient Faith Radio)  (Read 12039 times)

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Coffee with (Removed - Ancient Faith Radio)
« Reply #450 on: August 05, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
For an extra fee would the klobuk come off?

Here:

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/26b36d_dc588da5510148abbbf70d5c122a087f.pdf

Wow. She has received a tremendous amount of grant money.

October 2013 – awarded a grant of $286,923.00 from the Austrian Science Fund (FWF), to write
and publish a monograph on the Byzantine Enarxis within a three-year period
(Project 25083-G19 of the FWF).

```````````````````````````````
March 2006 – received a grant of $28,000.00 from the Joukowsky Family Foundation
(Rhode Island, USA) for doctoral studies in Munich and Rome.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:33:50 PM by Quinault »

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #451 on: August 05, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
Does not Met. Kallistos and thousands of other Orthodox charge speaking and other fees?

Does the Metropolitan of Diokleia charge individuals, for example, members of his Oxford parish, brethren from the monastery of St. John of Patmos, of which he remains a member, and other persons who approach him, $80 an hour to dispense spiritual advice?  I think not.

What we are objecting to is charging individuals money for a session with Sr. Vassa, not speaking fees, or even fees associated with addressing a group via webcam.  That is entirely different from basically charging people to be their geronda.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #452 on: August 05, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
I apologize for losing my temper... I'm allowing my symphathising with someone (or the position their in) and wanting to defend to lead me to let my emotions get the better of me.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #453 on: August 05, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »
I apologize for losing my temper... I'm allowing my symphathising with someone (or the position their in) and wanting to defend to lead me to let my emotions get the better of me.

We're good.   :)   Please pray for me, a sinner.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #454 on: August 05, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
I apologize for losing my temper...

From a fellow hot-head, I completely empathize.   No worries, brother.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:40:30 PM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »
Does not Met. Kallistos and thousands of other Orthodox charge speaking and other fees?

Way different.

Right, because he's... um... well he speaks ... um... yeah, way different. Like totally.

His accent is better and he speaks really slowly.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #456 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »
Kinda funny . . .  See you the next day.
Learn meditation.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #457 on: August 06, 2017, 01:21:14 AM »

Here:

October 2013 – awarded a grant of $286,923.00 from the Austrian Science Fund (FWF), to write

March 2006 – received a grant of $28,000.00 from the Joukowsky Family Foundation
(Rhode Island, USA) for doctoral studies in Munich and Rome.[/b]

This is the typical way in which scholarly research is funded these days. There is nothing unusual about it. It's likely that part of the three year grant to produce a monograph was spent to pay student assistants who worked on the project as well. That was certainly the way the university I used to work for financed (post)grad students and was able to keep the salaries of teaching staff low.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:27:38 AM by FinnJames »

Offline OrthoDisco

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #458 on: August 06, 2017, 01:50:32 AM »
...getting kicked off of AFR earns her points in my book.

That was one of my takeaways from the article.

????????????????

Okay.  Confusion.

Are you guys saying in some manner that there is something wrong with AFR?  Because I listen to it, like, a lot.

Comments?

There's nothing "wrong" with AFR.  Some people feel it is too Protestant in its approach, but, I have no issues with it.

It spreads Orthodoxy to all corners of the world.  You can listen to podcasts, or just hymns, etc. ...via cellphone, PC, etc. 

I often tune in at work...just leave the music on softly in the background.

Yeah i have felt that, being an ex protestant, it is sometimes too protestant for me. Good and bad, depending on what a person needs. For conversion, I think it does a good job introducing people to the faith. 

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #459 on: August 06, 2017, 04:47:24 AM »

Here:

(Rhode Island, USA) for doctoral studies in Munich and Rome.[/b]

This is the typical way in which scholarly research is funded these days. There is nothing unusual about it. It's likely that part of the three year grant to produce a monograph was spent to pay student assistants who worked on the project as well. That was certainly the way the university I used to work for financed (post)grad students and was able to keep the salaries of teaching staff low.

I have no doubt that typically scholarly research is funded by grant. What is odd is that this particular person was funded in this manner. Normally grants include a "salary" for the person recieving them. Obviously this individual is already bringing in a fairly respectable amount thru other means. I've yet to meet or hear of a monastic that brings in both enourmous amounts of grant money and enormous speaking/appearance/consultation fees. That is certainly very far away from the monastic life of simplicity I have always read/heard about. I certainly don't think she need live in sackcloth and ashes, but given the preexisting grant funds; why exactly is she charging all those other fees?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:49:44 AM by Quinault »

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #460 on: August 06, 2017, 04:56:05 AM »
Maybe she gives the money to charity.  I'm surprised people here haven't heard of city monks before.   Seems like the stories could be a lot worse.

No, not a fan.  Watched one episode. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:57:16 AM by Velsigne »
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #461 on: August 06, 2017, 05:00:33 AM »
why exactly is she charging all those other fees?

Because she can and people are willing to pay.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #462 on: August 06, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »
Don't people have coffee all the time? ... How is this any different.
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
Maybe she gives the money to charity.  I'm surprised people here haven't heard of city monks before.   Seems like the stories could be a lot worse.

What does this mean?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #464 on: August 06, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
Don't people have coffee all the time? ... How is this any different.

It just costs a lot more.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #465 on: August 06, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
Maybe she gives the money to charity.  I'm surprised people here haven't heard of city monks before.   Seems like the stories could be a lot worse.

What does this mean?

The Russian branch has monastic who live in alone in  cities with little to no oversight--not cenobitic style

All monastics do not live in monasteries
So they work and pay the bills
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #466 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
I mean how is it applicable?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #467 on: August 06, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »

What does this mean?

The Russian branch has monastic who live in alone in  cities with little to no oversight--not cenobitic style

All monastics do not live in monasteries
So they work and pay the bills

I resisted the urge to bring this up longer than I thought I was going to be able to.

For example:

The Synod issues this statement against Sr Vass. However, the statement from Abp Kyrill on this guy was retracted and no longer appears on the Synod website.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:51:47 PM by Bob2 »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #468 on: August 06, 2017, 09:19:52 PM »
Retracted? Or just no longer posted? What was the retraction statement?

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #469 on: August 06, 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
Retracted? Or just no longer posted? What was the retraction statement?
It is no longer on the Synod website, and if you look at the text of that statement, which called upon him to stop posting on the internet, the fact that he continued to do so, and has been affirmed to be in good standing and as a monastic, albeit a novice.

The Statement for Met Hilarion, is not meant to be a endorsement of his activities, but he certainly tries to use it as one, and should have been foreseen.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #470 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:55 PM »
I deeply miss the good old moratorium. If we can't have one on discussing homosexuality, let's at least have one on mentioning Brother Nathanael (Kapner)?

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #471 on: September 17, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Latest on Sister Vassa's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeWithSisterVassa/), not behind a paywall

Because of forum rules, I will quote only a small part:
So, when I “examine myself,” as St. Paul instructs us to do, before approaching Holy Communion (1 Cor 11: 28), let me ask the right questions, rather than the false ones. I do not ask myself whether I am “worth” the Self-Offering of the precious Body and Blood of my Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross. No. Because He already answered that question, having died for me, and all of us, and having descended into our hell and overcome it, in His resurrection.

Basically she seems to imply that we are worthy, because if Christ has in fact done it for us, we must have been worthy. That's really something odd to say, isn't it? In fact, doesn't the Gospel of Matthew teach us we are not worthy ("Lord I am not worthy to receive you" - Matthew 8:8), and doesn't John 3:16 tell us that God did what he did out of love, rather than because we are worth it?

As Orthodox Christians, we are in danger of spiritual delusions, of ascribing a false value to ourselves. The Church Slavonic term for this is прелесть (prelest), the Greek one πλάνη (plani). Sister Vassa's post seems to be a textbook example for this. She even goes as far as to put the mercy we are asking God for into quotation marks, as if we didn't literally need his mercy. In fact, she seems to imply we could forgive ourselves. Sorry, but we need to be forgiven by God and by our neighbours...

What I need to ask of myself, and what He asks of me, is that my heart and mind, despite my shortcomings, are “properly” in line with His peace and His mercy, embracing forgiveness of myself and others. Lord, have it Your way; Have “mercy”!

Lord have mercy (literally) on me, the first of sinners, and on Sister Vassa, that we may have humility, sobriety and faithfulness to the authentic teachings of our Holy Fathers.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #472 on: September 17, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
I think she's a good person who made an honest mistake; her bishops have handled it.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #473 on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
I think she's a good person who made an honest mistake; her bishops have handled it.

Have you read my latest contribution to this thread? I may be wrong, but my impression is that she just made a new mistake. If it's not about homosexuality, it won't attract as much attention obviously. But is it really acceptable to say that we can forgive ourselves and that we are worthy of communion?? Anyone? It just feels to me that the whole attitude is wrong.

And that goes together with the fact that to the statement of the bishops, she has not reacted with a retraction or apology at all...

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #474 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:34 PM »
I don't see a problem with it, I can see where Sister Vassa is coming from where using "worthy" in that context can be confusing, although I don't have trouble with it. Granted I'm a newbie in the Church so I could be wrong...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:27:03 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #475 on: September 17, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »

Have you read my latest contribution to this thread? I may be wrong, but my impression is that she just made a new mistake. If it's not about homosexuality, it won't attract as much attention obviously. But is it really acceptable to say that we can forgive ourselves and that we are worthy of communion?? Anyone? It just feels to me that the whole attitude is wrong.

And that goes together with the fact that to the statement of the bishops, she has not reacted with a retraction or apology at all...

I didn't know about that.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
... I do not ask myself whether I am “worth”... No. Because He already answered that question, having died for me, and all of us, and having descended into our hell and overcome it, in His resurrection.

Basically she seems to imply that we are worthy, because...
Not so fast.  Yes, it seems so, but it also seems otherwise, if the emphasis above is considered as the answer to the question on whether she or we are worthy of Holy Communion. 

Regardless of her inane comment about homosexuality, Sr. Vassa still deserves the presumption of repentance and that this is not yet another slip away from orthodoxy, but just an instance of poorly phrasing.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »
Regardless of her inane comment about homosexuality, Sr. Vassa still deserves the presumption of repentance
I respectfully disagree. She would deserve it in my opinion if she had given any sign of respect to the letter of the bishops. But she just answered that her approval ratings were still getting higher in spite of this...

and that this is not yet another slip away from orthodoxy, but just an instance of poorly phrasing.
When poor phrasing multiplies, that can still have disastrous consequences. Just look at the "poor phrasing" of and since V2 in the Roman Catholic Church... also Sr. Vassa is a) highly educated and b) a native English speaker (although she now lives in Austria, she is American), so it seems more probable that she intentionally uses the words she uses, rather than because of bad wording skills...

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
I respectfully disagree. She would deserve it in my opinion if she had given any sign of respect to the letter of the bishops. But she just answered that her approval ratings were still getting higher in spite of this...
I'm not privy to public statements by her either way or by her bishop about his pastoral care of hers.

Quote from: Gorazd
When poor phrasing multiplies, that can still have disastrous consequences. Just look at the "poor phrasing" of and since V2 in the Roman Catholic Church... also Sr. Vassa is a) highly educated and b) a native English speaker (although she now lives in Austria, she is American), so it seems more probable that she intentionally uses the words she uses, rather than because of bad wording skills...
I know.  After a few years of Pope FI allegedly putting his foot in the mouth so often, by now it's clear that he's meant everything that he's said and that he's forfeited any benefit of the doubt.  Still, in this case, the evidence is very circumstantial and the accusation requires inferring her intentions, which is a dangerous route to follow.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
I'm not privy to public statements by her either way or by her bishop about his pastoral care of hers.

Alright... I guess if she had said nothing, it would have been ok. But her defiant reaction still tells me a lot.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #480 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Could the problem(?) with Sr Vassa's blog post 'Are We "Worthy" of Holy Communion?' be that it is addressed to the general public? What she says seems to me to be a very helpful thing to tell someone who worries obsessively that they are too sinful to approach the communion line--or, as also happens, that the person in front of them is. On the other hand, what she has written strikes me as not at all helpful to those who assume they can relax their daily self examination and repentance and line up with a clear conscience.

For what it's worth, I found her observation that the same Greek/Slavonic phrase has been translated into English differently in two passages quite informative. She is, after all, a liturgical scholar. If I follow her logic correctly, it was precisely this translation ambiguity that gave rise to her post.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #481 on: September 18, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
Maybe need to spend time in reflection that leads to self-examination and eventually repentance.
Learn meditation.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #482 on: September 18, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
What she says seems to me to be a very helpful thing to tell someone who worries obsessively that they are too sinful to approach the communion line--or, as also happens, that the person in front of them is.
And the filioque was very helpful in the fight against arianism.
But in Orthodoxy, truth comes first, and helpfulness second. And I believe we are never worthy (as opposed to always), though we should do our best to approach worthiness. Worthy is the main signification of the Greek "axios". Other meaning can be additional, such as "proper", but not instead of "Worthy" from a linguistic point of view.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #483 on: September 18, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

If God forgives us of our sins, who are we, who are but lowly creatures, not to forgive ourselves?
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
« Reply #484 on: September 18, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
hurrah! nobody should listen to her heretical opinions.
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #485 on: September 18, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Sad she didn't repent, I liked her show.  :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:28:24 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #486 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:20 PM »
^Have you ever stepped foot in an Orthodox church? 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #487 on: September 18, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Are you talking to me? if so no as the closest Old Calendarist church near me is in Texas.
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #488 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »
Are you talking to me? if so no as the closest Old Calendarist church near me is in Texas.

You're making this too easy, it's not even fun. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline orthoreader

• High Elder
« Reply #489 on: September 18, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
She's a brilliant woman. It's too bad she took a U-turn on the homosexual issue. I pray she adjusts her thinking because we need her.

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #490 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »

I know I'm probably gonna regret responding but what are you talking about?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:27:14 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #491 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »

You have zero--Z, E, R, O--lived experience of Orthodoxy, and you're going to judge a nun's views and call her to repentance?  Get your own life in order.  The actual Orthodox can handle Sr Vassa. 

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

You have zero--Z, E, R, O--lived experience of Orthodoxy, and you're going to judge a nun's views and call her to repentance?  Get your own life in order.  The actual Orthodox can handle Sr Vassa.
So what? I've been studying and inquiring Orthodoxy for about a year now and have gained lots of knowledge about the faith. I have learned what the rules are and Sister Vassa has violated them. Thus, she should be stripped of her monastic title. You really think that if a person hasn't been inside an Orthodox Church that he/she is devoid of knowledge on all relating subject matters? if so sir I suggest you rethink your opinion. What you said was quite insulting to all inquirers to Eastern Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:08:51 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2017, 11:12:33 PM »
So what? I've been studying and inquiring Orthodoxy for about a year now and have gained lots of knowledge about the faith.
Careful, it can be tempting to intellectualize the faith. But "gaining" knowledge =/= faith.

Thus, she should be stripped of her monastic title.
I would recommend taking Mor's advice on "getting your life in order" more seriously.

You really think that if a person hasn't been inside an Orthodox Church that he/she is devoid of knowledge on all relating subject matters?
As someone who once opined on Orthodox matters having been outside the Church for a number of years, I now recognize much of my own folly then. You should worry a whole lot more about becoming Orthodox than anything else.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:13:04 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #494 on: September 19, 2017, 12:49:51 AM »
I have learned what the rules are and Sister Vassa has violated them. Thus, she should be stripped of her monastic title.
You're not making a big name for inquirers here... You can't quote canons punishing monastics for giving loose advice (presuming it's too loose advice), and even if you could, that's not how canonistics work in the Orthodox Church.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)