Author Topic: Coffee with (Removed - Ancient Faith Radio)  (Read 11961 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Re: Vassagate continues
« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
I will pay $80 to watch a Porter-Sister Vassa dialogue.
If you could twitch stream that so we can have realtime comments, I'd help pay for it.
+1
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Coffee with (Removed - Ancient Faith Radio)
« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
I'm guessing the university doesn't allow people to wear headcoverings in their photos? Pretty weird anyway. Things are going in a very strange way with Sister Doctor.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
For an extra fee would the klobuk come off?

Here:

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/26b36d_dc588da5510148abbbf70d5c122a087f.pdf

Wow.
Its a CV, they normally look like this sans the pic

I think the pic is the issue for most of the commentators here, Nick.  As a monastic, shouldn't she be wearing her head covering at all times?  Wouldn't the university respect that?  I know a Coptic monk who went to grad school out here, and he was wearing his kolonsowa in all of his official photos, including ID, CV, etc.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #409 on: August 03, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

+1
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #410 on: August 03, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
I always thought there was something odd with this sister...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:15:38 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #411 on: August 03, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »

Here:

Wow.

I think the pic is the issue for most of the commentators here, Nick.  As a monastic, shouldn't she be wearing her head covering at all times?  Wouldn't the university respect that?  I know a Coptic monk who went to grad school out here, and he was wearing his kolonsowa in all of his official photos, including ID, CV, etc.

We also have a Coptic nun, Mother Lois Farag, who also got her PhD during her vows, and I don't think she ever took off her covering either.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #412 on: August 03, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
she is in Vienna, could be policy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #414 on: August 03, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »
she is in Vienna, could be policy

Maybe.

Here:

Wow.

I think the pic is the issue for most of the commentators here, Nick. ...

Oh, he knows.

Well, I don't think he'd think anyone could have an issue with her - an academic - having a curriculum vitae.  I mean, the thing was posted in response to Augustin's asking for her headgear to come off.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:36:55 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #415 on: August 03, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
I have merged this topic with "Vassagate" frim Christian News section.
Dominika Global Moderator
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
I'm guessing the university doesn't allow people to wear headcoverings in their photos? Pretty weird anyway. Things are going in a very strange way with Sister Doctor.

Try telling a Muslim Hijabi woman to take off her scarf for her PhD.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
Surely there is more than one way to view 'proper conduct' in this type of situation, no? Passages like 1 Pet. 2:13-14 could be used to defend the 'when in Rome' concept--that it was best to follow the local rules of governments and customs of institutions, as long as it didn't interfere with morality or faith.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #418 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »

I think in Turkey they did that until recently. Nasser' Egypt too I believe.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #419 on: August 03, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
SV's response to a fb comment asking why this is ok:

"...I do get paid for public invitations, as does any professional, and these video-chats are much cheaper, so a church-group could do this, instead of paying for the costly travel, accommodations, plus speaking fee that a public talk involves."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #420 on: August 03, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »

"...I do get paid for public invitations, as does any professional, and these video-chats are much cheaper, so a church-group could do this, instead of paying for the costly travel, accommodations, plus speaking fee that a public talk involves."

Doesn't check out. The site specifically says $80 for 50 minutes for individuals, $300 for groups.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #421 on: August 03, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »

Doesn't check out. The site specifically says $80 for 50 minutes for individuals, $300 for groups.

You think travel expenses + lecture fee is <$300 for... who?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #422 on: August 03, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »

You think travel expenses + lecture fee is <$300 for... who?

No idea and wasn't my point. Nicky's turned to covering for Sr. Vassa by spreading this new claim she's charging for speaking engagements, only via internet. That's mostly a diversion. It says very clearly on the website just what we've been discussing all along: $80/50minuts for individuals.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #423 on: August 03, 2017, 07:20:01 PM »
Sorry, someone else must have posted about "$300 for groups."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #424 on: August 03, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Sorry, someone else must have posted about "$300 for groups."

Who's denying "$300 for groups"? What I'm denying is that this answers folks' doubts about "$80 for individuals." I suppose you want to keep waltzing? I'm in bed fighting pneumonia -- I have the time.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
I started a thread which I had hoped would address this more generally. What is an acceptable price for a spiritual product, spiritual wisdom, something made by a monastic, something that can be made for $1 but is sold for $20, etc. Many are being rather selective about what to be outraged about. It struck me as off as well, until I thought again about those things we already accept as normal.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
Good name for a gritty roots band: Waltzing Pneumonia.

Yeah, you opened a good thread and it's quite a question. I have little to contribute as an answer. Surely this is not the common mode, tho -- admit that much.

I come from a give-your-cloak-also perspective of the holy life, so even the idea a priest has a salary is new to me (altho I soundly approve of it), or the idea that Orthodox folks don't just stay with each other when they travel (I would soundly approve if they did). Or even just that Greeks are one of America's wealthiest ethnicities and the whole "Archon" business. I won't start on Moscow.

It's all too much  for me; I have no answers; I just observe. A little nun, tho, that seems like an answer I could pretend to have and hit her with. There's the temptation. But because there's the temptation and I'm a small, confused mind doesn't get her off the hook either!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
No idea and wasn't my point. Nicky's turned to covering for Sr. Vassa by spreading this new claim
Lol the melodrama

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
No idea and wasn't my point. Nicky's turned to covering for Sr. Vassa by spreading this new claim
Lol the melodrama

Good for you that you can see and admit it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #429 on: August 03, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »
Good name for a gritty roots band: Waltzing Pneumonia.

Yeah, you opened a good thread and it's quite a question. I have little to contribute as an answer. Surely this is not the common mode, tho -- admit that much.

I come from a give-your-cloak-also perspective of the holy life, so even the idea a priest has a salary is new to me (altho I soundly approve of it), or the idea that Orthodox folks don't just stay with each other when they travel (I would soundly approve if they did). Or even just that Greeks are one of America's wealthiest ethnicities and the whole "Archon" business. I won't start on Moscow.

It's all too much  for me; I have no answers; I just observe. A little nun, tho, that seems like an answer I could pretend to have and hit her with. There's the temptation. But because there's the temptation and I'm a small, confused mind doesn't get her off the hook either!
I agree. Growing up, any sort of fundraising was a damnation from the pit of hell, so it still hits a visceral spot with me when I see it even though I haven't been in that environment for quite some time now.
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #430 on: August 03, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »
If you could twitch stream that so we can have realtime comments, I'd help pay for it.
+1

You'd surely be disappointed as I'm very pleasant, bland, and complimentary in most interactions.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #431 on: August 03, 2017, 10:49:37 PM »
No, that is supposed to be free of charge.
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #432 on: August 03, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
+1

You'd surely be disappointed as I'm very pleasant, bland, and complimentary in most interactions.

I think I spoke too quickly. If the subject were this young lad of her email advice, then, yes, I'd find something to say.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #433 on: August 04, 2017, 12:35:43 AM »
An $80 or $300 charge for a Skype chat on religious matters seems wrong until one realizes how many people would be video conferencing with Sr. Vassa if there were no fee involved. A fee isn't all that unexpected since we live in societies where literally everything has a monetary value or can be assigned one. So maybe a relevant question that's being overlooked is what Sr. Vassa does with the money she collects from the sale of her podcasts, mugs and video chats. This is surely something her superior knows and is alright with.   

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #434 on: August 04, 2017, 12:42:33 AM »
An $80 or $300 charge for a Skype chat on religious matters seems wrong until one realizes how many people would be video conferencing with Sr. Vassa if there were no fee involved. ...

Okay, now you just made it sound really wrong.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #436 on: August 04, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »

I think in Turkey they did that until recently. Nasser' Egypt too I believe.

Secular governments that cracked down on Islamists, where the hijab was frowned upon,  apples and oranges.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:24:31 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #437 on: August 04, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »

Here:

Wow.

What is the web site?  In many countries women or men have to take off their head coverings for a passport photo by law.  I am wondering if this is an old passport photo which someone had access to & attached it to an existing CV

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #438 on: August 04, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »

Here:

Wow.

What is the web site?  In many countries women or men have to take off their head coverings for a passport photo by law.  I am wondering if this is an old passport photo which someone had access to & attached it to an existing CV

You're saying it's not her real CV, it's a forgery? I'm curious how you think the forger got her passport?

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #439 on: August 04, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »

You're saying it's not her real CV, it's a forgery? I'm curious how you think the forger got her passport?
[/quote]

No I am not saying that the content of her CV is a forgery; a CV could be obtained on the internet.  But I do not think the picture is that of a 47 year old woman.  That is why I think it is an old picture.  Anyone can insert a picture into a MS Word document.  I do not think that by providing a picture from an unknown website anyone can jump to the conclusion that Sr. Vassa dresses in secular dress.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #440 on: August 04, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »

No I am not saying that the content of her CV is a forgery; a CV could be obtained on the internet.  But I do not think the picture is that of a 47 year old woman.  That is why I think it is an old picture.  Anyone can insert a picture into a MS Word document.  I do not think that by providing a picture from an unknown website anyone can jump to the conclusion that Sr. Vassa dresses in secular dress.

So you are saying it's a forgery? I'm curious how you think the forger got ( a ) her CV contents and ( b ) her passport photo?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #441 on: August 04, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »

So you are saying it's a forgery? I'm curious how you think the forger got ( a ) her CV contents and ( b ) her passport photo?

That is not a passport photo. Those have several strict criteria (facing directly into the camera, hair pulled back, no glasses, no smiling). That is a professional promo image, probably from a university yearbook. The CV is over two years old, and the photo could easily be 2-3 years older than that. No big deal, really.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:54:12 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #442 on: August 04, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »
Fine, I'll say it. She looks good in that photo.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #443 on: August 04, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »

On the bright side, at least you're not daydreaming about dating new-martyrs.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #444 on: August 04, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »

On the bright side, at least you're not daydreaming about dating new-martyrs.

No veil tho.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #445 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
So, getting serious for a moment:

1. How is this not Simony?   I've never heard of a monastic in the Orthodox Church charging people to talk to them; they either dispense free and often prophetic advice if that is their vocation (see St. Seraphim of Sarov, or in more recent times Elder Joseph the Hesychast or Elder Ephrem of Arizona), or else, where they lack such a vocation or a blessing from their hegumen to do it, or are hermits, they don't.

2. Given that Sister Vassa has given advice that intentionally contradicts the teachings of the Church on the issue of homosexuality, does not this, in combination with her dubious practice of charging people money to talk to her, render her a false teacher, a wolf in sheep's clothing even, someone to be excluded under Galatians 1:8?

I realize that probably sounds harsh and extreme, but it seems to me that we in essence have a rogue nun, one lacking proper canonical oversight, who is both leading the faithful astray, and charging money for it.  Also consider the expression, cliche though it might be, "Where there is some, there's fire."  If she is deviating from the teachings of the church, publically, on homosexuality, in the pastorally critical scenario of a teenage youth, what else is she telling people privately who have paid her money?

I am not sure that she has any legitimacy in doing any of this ministry on the basis of the Pauline epistles; obviously St. Paul did not intend to preclude all catechesis or teaching by women, as his own ministry with St. Teklas indicates, or, for example, St. Nino's conversion of Georgia, but it seems like Sr. Vassa is providing, not catechtical instruction, not the guidance expected from a geronda (which would be fully in accord with the teaching of the Church, possibly prophetic, and certainly offered free of charge), but rather, in the case of this teenager with a homosexual inclination, advice that should properly be dispensed by the priest.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:08:08 PM by Alpha60 »
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #446 on: August 05, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Does not Met. Kallistos and thousands of other Orthodox charge speaking and other fees?

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #447 on: August 05, 2017, 07:50:02 PM »
Does not Met. Kallistos and thousands of other Orthodox charge speaking and other fees?

Way different.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #448 on: August 05, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »

Way different.

Right, because he's... um... well he speaks ... um... yeah, way different. Like totally.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »

Way different.

Right, because he's... um... well he speaks ... um... yeah, way different. Like totally.

Metropolitan Kallistos travels throughout the world to give lectures about Eastern Orthodoxy.  Sr. Vassa stays home giving personal "advice" online for money.  Big difference. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:27:07 PM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying