Author Topic: Who is like unto the beast  (Read 413 times)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Who is like unto the beast
« on: July 05, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »
Does this Translate to any proper noun in Greek?  Is there any commentary to contrast  with Michael?  If so,  why here?

Offline William T

• Archon
Re: Who is like unto the beast
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »
Sorry,

This is revelation 13

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
Is your question whether 'theríon' was also a name?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
I was wondering if this is what you are looking for: https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&vi=c#en/el/best

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

Was it ever used that way?  And was it ever contrasted with Michael

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »
I also made the mistake of not asking about the Hebrew or Aramaic

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 08:19:16 PM »

Michael is Semitic of course -- hmm -- this isn't really my wheelhouse. Could you expand more on what you were thinking? Seems quite interesting.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »

Michael is Semitic of course -- hmm -- this isn't really my wheelhouse. Could you expand more on what you were thinking? Seems quite interesting.

Given the genre of the book, and what's going on in English when I hear a line "Who is like unto the beast" it strikes me that that line may have been there to contrast with St. Michael somehow.  I think the book was originally written in Greek, but it also seemed to use Semitic names with the Greek (Ex: Abaddon / Apollyon).

I was just wondering if the phrase was supposed to be contrasted with "Who is like unto God", and if so if it could be seen as a proper name.  So I don't know if this is just an English thing, or if there is something in proper exegesis that could help answer my question.  Neither my Greek or Arabic is good enough for me to do this on my own, and I know next to nothing of Hebrew or Aramaic.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 12:13:09 AM »

Given the genre of the book, and what's going on in English when I hear a line "Who is like unto the beast" it strikes me that that line may have been there to contrast with St. Michael somehow.  I think the book was originally written in Greek, but it also seemed to use Semitic names with the Greek (Ex: Abaddon / Apollyon).

I was just wondering if the phrase was supposed to be contrasted with "Who is like unto God", and if so if it could be seen as a proper name.  So I don't know if this is just an English thing, or if there is something in proper exegesis that could help answer my question.  Neither my Greek or Arabic is good enough for me to do this on my own, and I know next to nothing of Hebrew or Aramaic.

Fascinating!