OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 08:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Poll
Question: The passion was
good & not against jews - 16 (69.6%)
good & against jews - 3 (13%)
bad & not against jews - 4 (17.4%)
bad & against jews - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Language Does God Speak?  (Read 2100 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: February 25, 2003, 04:09:48 PM »

It must be Greek because it's the only language with the 3rd person imperative, which He needed in order to say, "Let there be light!"
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 05:08:12 PM »

If you believe my 93-year-old Polish Ukrainian-born RC mother-in-law, who still subscribes to the Tri-linguist heresy, God understands and speaks only three languages (in addition to Polish because of the Polish Pope, of course!!!): Greek, Hebrew and Latin, the languages inscribed above Jesus' head on the marker of his cross, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews."  (Personally, I think God speaks to us only in King James English and Church Slavonic!    Grin   )

Hypo-Ortho
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 07:02:35 PM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 06:50:12 PM »

I notice that, since there is no such choice, the language that Christ our God actually spoke while among us on earth, Syriac, must be included in "something else", to which one might also conceivably add Portuguese, Igbo, Telugu, Nahuatl, Finnish, and a host of other languages, while Hebrew, Greek, Latin, (all understandable enough, I guess) Slavonic, "King James English", and Esperanto get pride of place in the poll.  

You really need to get out more, Matthew.

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 06:57:48 PM »

When I was an occultist we believed that while God understood all languages, he spoke Enochian with the angels.  Enochian is a really bizarre language (a real language) invented by occultists which they say comes from the angels (in reality demons).

Betcha didn't know that!

anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 07:07:11 PM »

I realized that immediately, Phil, but the forum wouldn't let me change the choices. Please accept my apologies!

Matt
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 07:07:54 PM »

Mor Ephrem<<I notice that, since there is no such choice, the language that Christ our God actually spoke while among us on earth, Syriac, >>

And I always thought that our Lord spoke Aramaic while on earth.  Is Aramaic a variant of Syriac or of Hebrew, OR the common people's admixture of the two?

Hypo-Ortho
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 09:36:37 PM »

Dear Hypo-Ortho,

Syriac and Aramaic are the same thing.  The people we know today as Syriac are the same as the Arameans of the Bible who inhabited the land of Aram (Syria), and Aramaic is their language.  They were once known as Arameans, but somewhere along the line the land became known as Syria, and the people Syrians, and the language Syriac.  Because, in English, "Syrian" now denotes a resident/citizen of the Syrian Arab Republic, the term "Syriac" is used for these people, since it is not a nationality, but an ethnicity.  So Syriac and Aramaic are one and the same.  

Matt:

I forgive you for your blunder, but you may need to obtain a plenary indulgence or something... Tongue

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: