Author Topic: Armenian Great Entrance (veraperoom) with canopy  (Read 314 times)

Offline griego catolico

• Elder
  • ...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.
Armenian Great Entrance (veraperoom) with canopy
« on: July 01, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
I saw this video posted on the FB page of the Armenian Apostolic Patriarchate of Jerusalem: https://www.facebook.com/ArmenianPatriarchateJerusalem/videos/562238477319195/

I presume it's the Great Entrance (veraperoom) during the Soorp Badarak, but it's the first time that I have seen it so elaborate with the use of a canopy.

Is the canopy for the Great Entrance only used at Saint James Cathedral in Jerusalem?
Is it used at every Soorp Badarak or only on certain occasions?
Is that the hagiody being chanted during the procession?

I'll appreciate any responses to my inquiry. Thank you.  :)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Armenian Great Entrance (veraperoom) with canopy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
Pretty sweet miters.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:03:38 PM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
I saw this video posted on the FB page of the Armenian Apostolic Patriarchate of Jerusalem: https://www.facebook.com/ArmenianPatriarchateJerusalem/videos/562238477319195/

I presume it's the Great Entrance (veraperoom) during the Soorp Badarak, but it's the first time that I have seen it so elaborate with the use of a canopy.

Is the canopy for the Great Entrance only used at Saint James Cathedral in Jerusalem?
Is it used at every Soorp Badarak or only on certain occasions?
Is that the hagiody being chanted during the procession?

I'll appreciate any responses to my inquiry. Thank you.  :)

We had a discussion about this recently in the OO forum.  I get the impression that the Patriarchate of Jerusalem represents the apex of Armenian liturgics, and within that Patriarchate you will encounter an elaboration of ritual and tradition that might often be lacking elsewhere.

That said, I have seen videos of processions at Holy Etchmiadzin featuring elaborate canopies.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline griego catolico

• Elder
  • ...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »
We had a discussion about this recently in the OO forum.  I get the impression that the Patriarchate of Jerusalem represents the apex of Armenian liturgics, and within that Patriarchate you will encounter an elaboration of ritual and tradition that might often be lacking elsewhere.

That said, I have seen videos of processions at Holy Etchmiadzin featuring elaborate canopies.

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I've seen in several videos the use of a canopy at Holy Etchmiadzin for the Catholicos in procession before and after the celebration of a Soorp Badarak. I've personally seen a canopy used in procession when His Holiness Aram I visited Los Angeles years ago, but I've never seen it used within the liturgy until I saw the above video.

You make a good point about "the Patriarchate of Jerusalem represents the apex of Armenian liturgics...an elaboration of ritual and tradition that might often be lacking elsewhere". The same can be said about how liturgy is celebrated in the different patriarchates and cathedrals of the different liturgical traditions, both East and West.

The Great Entrance in the average Armenian parish is limited within the santuary, starting at one of the side niches were the chalice is kept after the preparation of the gifts; using a canopy would be impractical considering the limited space.

Here is video of another Great Entrance during the Soorp Badarak in the Church of the Holy Resurrection in Jerusalem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebstnNf9kvs  This Great Entrance does not include the use of a canopy but there is a longer procession since the gifts are kept at a side altar.

God bless!