Author Topic: My time on here is screwed up again.  (Read 387 times)

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
My time on here is screwed up again.
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
Could someone fix it please? It needs to be on Eastern Time. Thanks!
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: My time on here is screwed up again.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:31:29 AM »
Thanks your post I noticed that my time has also become wrong (1 hour difference), but it's easy to fix it: go to section "profile", then "modify profile", then "look and layout" and choose "auto-detect" next to the "time offset". It worked for me.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »
It should be okay now.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »
Yes, it's fine now. Thank you!

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »
Please note that the correct verb form is "Viva Cristo Rey!", rather than "Vivo". The latter means "I live", Present Tense First Person. "Viva" is "May he/she/it live" Second Person Present Subjunctive. In this sense, you are saying "Long live Christ the King!" Because it is a fervent wish and prayer, the Subjunctive Present is necessary.

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
Thank you for that. I would change it myself but I don't have access to that option.

Could a mod please change my custom title to Viva Christo Rey? Thanks!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »
Thank you for that. I would change it myself but I don't have access to that option.

Could a mod please change my custom title to Viva Christo Rey? Thanks!

Done.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Diego

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
OLIVIA, you are quite welcome, of course. If I can be of further assistance in Spanish, for you or anybody else, do let me know. I would offer assistance in Yiddish, but my knowledge of said language is essentially limited to words and phrases that would get me slapped by anyone's mother if they were to read it! I have limited knowledge of other languages as well, but not enough to be helpful. English and Spanish I can use with full bilingual abilities.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:01:27 PM by Diego »

Offline Diego

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
Also, I must note that in Spanish, "Christ" is written "Cristo", WITHOUT the "h" letter. I am sorry I did not observe that earlier.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
Also, I must note that in Spanish, "Christ" is written "Cristo", WITHOUT the "h" letter. I am sorry I did not observe that earlier.
Christo is an older orthographic convention that may be used for style. Like my own name (which would be written "Rafael" in modern Portuguese conventions) and my sisters'.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:52:17 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Diego

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 11:43:06 PM »
Christo is an older orthographic convention that may be used for style. Like my own name (which would be written "Rafael" in modern Portuguese conventions) and my sisters'.

Now THAT I did not know. I am of course, far more familiar with modern Spanish, as opposed to earlier forms of the language. And anyone who is familiar with the recent history of Mexico knows of the Cristero Uprising from 1926-1929, in which the rebel battle-cry was -Viva Cristo Rey!- Unfortunately,  my English keyboard is not able to reproduce the upside-down exclamation mark at the beginning of the quote.

My knowledge of Early Modern English, from the Henrician period through the Jacobean period, is far better than my knowledge of Spanish at the same time period. That is what comes of studying the Early Renaissance period of British History. More accurately, one should separate the term into "English", "Scottish", and "Irish"  history, since "Britain" as a political entity did not exist until 1707 for England and Scotland,  and 1801 for Ireland. But doing so is rather awkward.

Wales of course can be included as part of England from 1536, when it was administratively unified with England. I do wish I had known that about earlier forms of Spanish, however.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »
Old Spanish was very different, because it lost many sounds and orthography followed up (while Portuguese didn't simplify these things, only stuff dating back to Greco-Latin etymology).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Diego

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:39 AM »
I do know that the earliest preserved document in Castilian, from ca. 800 AD, is something I can still read, in spite of its considerable differences from modern Castilian/Spanish. English, on the other hand, is virtually unrecognisable as such before Chaucer, and even reading his work takes considerable effort.