Author Topic: Mormonism vs Islam: Which do you dislike more?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Mormonism vs Islam: Which do you dislike more?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
I love Brother Mouzone. I wish he got more screen-time.

You and I really have to grab a coffee and talk TV some day!  ;D

Indeed!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »
Worth keeping in mind that Mormon doctrine is malleable and can be changed at any time by decree of the Prophet and his apostles. Also, that Mormons tend to be made up largely of converts. Therefore, it's not accurate to say current Mormons believe something from 1860 or 1960. In fact they may never even have heard of an older belief. In 2000, there was a huge push by Mormon leadership to reframe doctrine in more-nearly Evangelical terms. In addition, the denial of some aspects of the past was softened, as church scholars engaged detractors in a bit more moderate fashion. It was around that time Christianity Today began to float the idea that Mormons may be Christians and include editorials by Mormon writers.

Eventually, it's not inconceivable the LDS church could come to resemble the other major branch of Mormonism, which now calls itself the Community of Christ. They don't use the Book of Mormon in services, their leadership is elected, and they officially leave doctrine and belief up to the individual.

The Community of Christ (which was the Reorganized Church of LDS until the early 2000s) is noteworthy in that they kept their line of Prophet-Presidents through Joseph Smith's descendants into the 1990s. After the last Smith retired, they adopted the election model.

While one of their more recent presidents has gone on record as saying the Book of Mormon isn't a litmus test for membership, they still very much consider it scripture; what's fascinating about it is they publish a different BOM from that of the Young-LDS out of Utah, and it's supposedly closer to the original with fewer edits. Their edition of Doctrine and Covenants is officially considered open canon. They also publish Joseph Smith's KJV that was supposedly corrected under inspiration from the Spirit.

My brother had a friend in high school whom was a member of their local congregation. He had a huge leather-bound volume with the corrected KJV, BOM and D&C in it he carried around school. Kid became super pious after a pilgrimage to Navoo.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »
Kid became super pious after a pilgrimage to Navoo.

Meesa no carin' about the Navoo.

Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »
It doesn't take extensive catechesis for a Christian of any stripe to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that God is a Trinity and that Islam is a separate religion altogether.  This is not the case with pseudo-Christian cults like Mormonism which parrots much of Christian terminology, but with an entirely different meaning.

And if someone is sophisticated enough to make the kind of weird, stretch of an argument that you're making below, it's not that they're poorly catechized, it's that they're willfully deluding themselves.
Yeah, but poor catechesis may lead people to be very easily convinced that the Holy Trinity is just an invention by Constantine or some piece of Mithraic syncretism (whatever suits the proselytiser better). Someone who has studied the Gospel with care and orientation won't be so easily deluded.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:50:54 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »
I don't know what mormon believe. About islam it is difficult for me to hate, Some of my childhood friend are muslim and my first love was a muslim women. There is not one islam, i appreciate Sufism and most of my read now are sufism poetry, i like the popular culture in islam

Orthodox Sunni Islam, the violent and dangerous one, is 90% of Muslims. Many jihadis have been Sufis.

What is the definition of orthodox sunni islam? Give me this name of this jihadis who have been sufis, maybe i consider them as  hero, for exemple in the algerian revolution you have emir abdelkader.

In general in traditional suni islam you have two school of thought, if you want to distinguish them we can say the first is an islamic scholastic theology, this school is majority in african arab country, levant country and non arab sunni country. The second school is against scholastic theology it is the salafist movement and this movement has devolop in 18th century and it is a majority in Gulf country. Now in the last 40 years the second movement because of the petro money has more folowers in other country outside the Gulf but before 40 years it was a minority. Inside this salafist movement you have three school of thought. THe terrorist now are followers of one school of thought. Outside the traditional sunni you have the sunni soufism, and when we talk about sufism we talk about the sufi as a philosophy of ibn arabi and his folowers.

So i don't know where you got your number, you are just doing the orientalism way.

I know the 'Ashari/Maturdi school and the Salafi/Athari schools. I know there is division in Sunni Islam, (even among Salafis: the Wahhabi-Madkhalis and the Salafi-jihadis) nevertheless the four madhhab and the consensus of scholars all teach jihad. As did Muhammad, in hundreds of Hadith.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
Mormonism, for the same reason I dislike other pseudo-Christian sects, like Charismatism.  It purports to be Christianity and confuses people.  Islam, while vile in many ways and more dangerous in a temporal, physical sense, is not as seductive to those who still think they believe in Christ when they embrace the Mormon "Christ", or the Holy Spirit when they embrace the Marquis of Snakes or whichever other foul entity from the pit is causing them to writhe on the floor and jabber in pseudo-tongues.
Well, Muslims do love to seduce Christians with the whole Isa/Maryam thing. Most Muslims I met were former Christians who didn't seem to think much changed beside this whole mushrik Trinity thing.

I have a hard time believing that.  Most Christian converts to Islam are fully aware that they are joining a new religion which contends that Our Lord Jesus Christ is not God Incarnate but simply a prophet, and not even the last or the greatest of those.  I'm not willing to buy the load of malarkey that this is simply a difference between the methods of Islamic missionaries in the USA vs. Brazil either.  The world is clear on the fact that Islam and Christianity are two different faiths.  Not so much with Christianity vs. Charismatic cults or even Christianity vs. "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".  For simple-minded would-be converts, the choice between Jesus and "Allah" is one thing, while the choice between Jesus and "Jesus" is something else entirely.  In the latter case, they are not always aware that they are leaving Christianity.

Nominal Christians are really the biggest victims of Islamic proselytism.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
I had some interaction with the local Muslim community back in 2014/2015, and some ironies of destiny brought me back into this milieu recently.

There was a Daesh supporter in one of Rio's mosques.
He wasn't an actual member, though, just some madman who appeared there already supporting ISIS and caused a lot of headache. The most notorious ISIS supporter in Brazil was expelled from the musalla of João Pessoa as soon as his companions realised his extremism, and the girl from Pará who ended up in ISIS retreated from the Belém mosque months before leaving the country. Our communities are rather moderate, but the internet age finds a lot of space for madness inside any fraction of the Ummah.

Yeah, brazilian muslims are quite liberal I guess. Sheikh Imram Hossein went to my town once to talk with the local muslim community, he simpathyses with orthodox christianity.

Only because he believes we'll help bring on the end times, that same Sheikh Imran is featured on Youtube channels alongside Imam Anwar al-Awlaki.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
It doesn't take extensive catechesis for a Christian of any stripe to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that God is a Trinity and that Islam is a separate religion altogether.  This is not the case with pseudo-Christian cults like Mormonism which parrots much of Christian terminology, but with an entirely different meaning.

And if someone is sophisticated enough to make the kind of weird, stretch of an argument that you're making below, it's not that they're poorly catechized, it's that they're willfully deluding themselves.
Yeah, but poor catechesis may lead people to be very easily convinced that the Holy Trinity is just an invention by Constantine or some piece of Mithraic syncretism (whatever suits the proselytiser better). Someone who has studied the Gospel with care and orientation won't be so easily deluded.

That's true, but none of that will lead to them regarding Islam as "the real Christianity".  It will simply lead to them regarding Christianity as a false religion.

Mormonism, for the same reason I dislike other pseudo-Christian sects, like Charismatism.  It purports to be Christianity and confuses people.  Islam, while vile in many ways and more dangerous in a temporal, physical sense, is not as seductive to those who still think they believe in Christ when they embrace the Mormon "Christ", or the Holy Spirit when they embrace the Marquis of Snakes or whichever other foul entity from the pit is causing them to writhe on the floor and jabber in pseudo-tongues.
Well, Muslims do love to seduce Christians with the whole Isa/Maryam thing. Most Muslims I met were former Christians who didn't seem to think much changed beside this whole mushrik Trinity thing.

I have a hard time believing that.  Most Christian converts to Islam are fully aware that they are joining a new religion which contends that Our Lord Jesus Christ is not God Incarnate but simply a prophet, and not even the last or the greatest of those.  I'm not willing to buy the load of malarkey that this is simply a difference between the methods of Islamic missionaries in the USA vs. Brazil either.  The world is clear on the fact that Islam and Christianity are two different faiths.  Not so much with Christianity vs. Charismatic cults or even Christianity vs. "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".  For simple-minded would-be converts, the choice between Jesus and "Allah" is one thing, while the choice between Jesus and "Jesus" is something else entirely.  In the latter case, they are not always aware that they are leaving Christianity.

Nominal Christians are really the biggest victims of Islamic proselytism.

Who do you think are the biggest victims of Mormon proselytism or JW proselytism?  Kali cultists?  Besides, none of this invalidates the point I was making: Islam is not the Trojan horse that pseudo-Christian cults are.  Islam doesn't masquerade as Christianity.  The would-be apostate has a clear choice between Christianity and something he knows is not Christianity.  In the case of a pseudo-Christian cult like Mormonism (Adventism, JW, et al) the would-be apostate has a choice between Christianity and what he thinks is another form of Christianity.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:06:01 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 10:59:13 PM »

Western young people are converting to Islam because they're following Christ or something like that.

That's quite the bold claim.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
I had some interaction with the local Muslim community back in 2014/2015, and some ironies of destiny brought me back into this milieu recently.

There was a Daesh supporter in one of Rio's mosques.
He wasn't an actual member, though, just some madman who appeared there already supporting ISIS and caused a lot of headache. The most notorious ISIS supporter in Brazil was expelled from the musalla of João Pessoa as soon as his companions realised his extremism, and the girl from Pará who ended up in ISIS retreated from the Belém mosque months before leaving the country. Our communities are rather moderate, but the internet age finds a lot of space for madness inside any fraction of the Ummah.

Yeah, brazilian muslims are quite liberal I guess. Sheikh Imram Hossein went to my town once to talk with the local muslim community, he simpathyses with orthodox christianity.

Only because he believes we'll help bring on the end times, that same Sheikh Imran is featured on Youtube channels alongside Imam Anwar al-Awlaki.

Really? I had no idea about his connection to jihadists. How the orthodox church would help to bring the end times?

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 08:15:57 AM »
Hmmm for me both religions are weak. But Mormonism is worse. They teach a plurality of Gods (tritheism) and they dare to say that they are the Church. Islam yes is weak, poor theology but muslims don't believe in many gods but ONE.
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
Islam has better art. Therefore Islam wins.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »
Perhaps someone is familiar with Mormonism better than me, but it seems to me, ontologically speaking, Mormonism is an atheistic faith.  There's no real divinity, only the promise that all humans will one day have the same "rewards" as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  How did the Father get his "reward" in Mormonism?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
Islam has better art. Therefore Islam wins.

There's a reason all Mormon art is destined to become memes.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
Perhaps someone is familiar with Mormonism better than me, but it seems to me, ontologically speaking, Mormonism is an atheistic faith.  There's no real divinity, only the promise that all humans will one day have the same "rewards" as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  How did the Father get his "reward" in Mormonism?

Yeah, that's an interesting question. What is the absolute divine principle in Mormonism? Clearly not any of divine personages who were once men. I suppose there could be some abstract idea of Godhead behind them.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »

He was obedient to his Heavenly Father, who was obedient to his Heavenly Father, ad infinitum. Somehow they feel this infinite chain of "God"s solves all traditional theological problems.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Most Islamic art is copied from Indian, Zoroastrian and Byzantine sources. And that's in spite of Muhammad's commands prohibiting depictions of anything on Earth.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
I don't know so much about the word "dislike", I guess I respect and am more used to Islam and I get a bit puzzled when people in America lump Mormons in with Christians.  To me they are easily more distant than Islam.

Some points:

1) Slippery Slopes and consequential / "socially relevant" arguments ought be put on the back burner.  They aren't very good points unless you want to qualify them.  Any doctrine and technique of Christianity, can and in many cases has led to really bad heresy and problems.  This isn't rocket surgery to figure out why, it's a "just so" thing...the same is true with science, or almost any other human endeavor.  I'm pretty sure we could take a sound statement and piece of dogma formulated from someone like St. Athanasius and play a six degree of separation game and up with some heretic or bad behavior by some group.  These are both "post Christian" religions, but I think one is more "post" than the other.

2) Theologically speaking I don't see how one can make the argument that Mormons have a better conception of God than Muslims.  That would require some rube goldberg logic.  You can probably take this a step further and say that they respect and keep a better integrity of who Christ is, and probably the fundamentals of a Abrahamic / Monotheistic world view as a whole much more than the Mormons.

3)  I don't think I've ever been impressed by anything the Mormons have done.  I think maybe they've had some good choir music in the past?  I wouldn't be surprised though if  even that has taken the trend of most American church music and has turned into highly sentimental and derivative Muzak.  I',m sorry if that sounds like a backhand to Mormons, but I'm sorry I just don't "get" much of American styled religiosity.  I get there are very pious, good, and honest people who love Jesus (more than many Orthodox).  I have a pretty tense and tragic view about Islam; but there is no denying they were able to function in a full civilization and produced all the splendors and baggage that come with it.  Mormonism seems more sectarian and cultish...I could see these guys buying "The Benedict Option" book, I don't think your average Muslim would ever fall for that.  Again, I may have some cultural blinders on.

4)  The point Antonious Nikolas made about the Mormons being a more corrupting influence is a good point, and I almost agreed with it.  But I think I may have a refutation to that: things like Iconoclasm was part of an "Islamization" of Christianity.  Islam has had pretty big effects on the Orthodox world.  I heard (?) that they have effected the way our bishops dress and function and that some of these things are relics from us trying to deal with being in an Islamic culture.   I think maybe the claim that right now in the west, Mormonism is going to be more corrupting and subversive.

I'll try and fact check my claim about Bishop garb if someone wants me to
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:13:11 PM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
Most Islamic art is copied from Indian, Zoroastrian and Byzantine sources. And that's in spite of Muhammad's commands prohibiting depictions of anything on Earth.

"Influenced by" is not the same as "copied from."

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »

All artists steal and copy. 

True story: about ten years ago when someone was complaining in smug self righteousness about how some local successful band "ripped off and stole the blues",  I did an actual spit take from laughing so hard.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

True story: about ten years ago when someone was complaining in smug self righteousness about how some local successful band "ripped off and stole the blues",  I did an actual spit take from laughing so hard.

Because they're not the only ones to have stolen the blues? Or because you're ignorant of American musical history?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »

Yes, I realize that. Thus why I used the word 'copied.'

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »

Then you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »

I entirely do. They turned Hindu, Buddhist, Christian sites into Mosques and appropriated their culture.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
See William's post above. You don't seem to understand how culture works.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
I don't know what mormon believe. About islam it is difficult for me to hate, Some of my childhood friend are muslim and my first love was a muslim women. There is not one islam, i appreciate Sufism and most of my read now are sufism poetry, i like the popular culture in islam

Orthodox Sunni Islam, the violent and dangerous one, is 90% of Muslims. Many jihadis have been Sufis.

I feel that the more tolerant and non-violent religions are often the more "dangerous" ones, with regard to ideology, and it requires more diligent and competent minds.  It's easy to reject a religion that is outright physically dangerous.  You don't need to have a deeply rooted and strong faith for that, even if many succumbed to that religion out of fear, they know deep down they really didn't accept the religion out of personal conviction, but for earthy reasons.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:39:30 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
See William's post above. You don't seem to understand how culture works.

There's nothing in your post or Williams which has any historical or otherwise intellectual significance, import or value whatsoever in relation to my claim. You're just making empty claims without evidence, the whole canon of Islam comes from Byzantine, Zoroastrian, Buddhist and Hindu sources DIRECTLY, not "influenced" they built Mosques over the Church of St. John the Baptist, the Hagia Sofia, the Alhambra and several others. They appropriated Roman and Greek literature, sciences and philosophy after conquering Alexandria and Antioch, then they used it in their own way before the Crusaders recaptured the Holy Land and re-appropriated them from the Muslim world. Now, if you have an actual criticism against this thesis, then make it. Don't just say "you have no idea what you're talking about" in a condescending, patronizing way without even addressing anything. Make your case.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:46:21 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »
So what you're saying is that Islam simply did to Christianity, Buddhism, etc. what these religions were already doing to other religions and cultures?

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »

Because they're not the only ones to have stolen the blues? Or because you're ignorant of American musical history?

Your axiomatic dog eat dog philosophy of cultural interaction is a tough enough nut to crack, but when you use the inquisition like questions, it's got me singin' the blues.  My apologies for giving Bo Didley the short end of the stick and ruining his "purity".   

Do you also want to ask me if I stopped beating my wife?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:51:23 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »

In that case, neither do you. Muslim invaders hired court painters from the local talent. Islam in Iran got Iranian art. Islam in India got Indian art. You'd expect there to be an Arab influence, but there's not. Muslim invaders brought no artistic sensibility and acted merely as patrons. Now, over time there was crossover throughout the eastern Muslim world. Now, iff we're not talking about the visual arts, then "influenced" makes better sense, as the Arabic ideas of music and calligraphy did have an immediate influence on conquered peoples, probably because of the religious connection.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
So what you're saying is that Islam simply did to Christianity, Buddhism, etc. what these religions were already doing to other religions and cultures?

Did Christianity appropriate certain elements from pagan culture? Yes. Buddhism; I would be less likely to agree with Buddhism doing it. But no, it's not in the same way or using the same means.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:51:17 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »

Your axiomatic dog eat dog philosophy of cultural interaction is a tough enough nut to crack, but when you use the inquisition like questions it's got me singin' the blues.  Do you want to ask me if I stopped beating my wife?

What wife?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »

Did Christianity appropriate certain elements from pagan culture? Yes. Buddhism; I would be less likely to agree with Buddhism doing it. But no, it's not in the same way or using the same means.

Buddhism was obscure (probably because it originally amounted to nothing more than the atheistic self-indulgence of a too-clever Brahman prince and a few of his buddies) until it was spread by the sword.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:53:17 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

Your axiomatic dog eat dog philosophy of cultural interaction is a tough enough nut to crack, but when you use the inquisition like questions it's got me singin' the blues.  Do you want to ask me if I stopped beating my wife?

What wife?

OK, as seems to be usual with you...this conversation is over unless a third party needs clarification

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »

Did Christianity appropriate certain elements from pagan culture? Yes. Buddhism; I would be less likely to agree with Buddhism doing it.

Buddhism appropriate massively from its host cultures, like pretty much any successful world religion. Christianity as well.

But no, it's not in the same way or using the same means.

How so?

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Another quick overly simplistic point I just thought of when thinking about Islam and Mormonism as post Christian religions:

1)  You can make the argument that Islam is three fairly simple degrees from Orthodoxy:  Orthodoxy - Nestorianism - Islam....it then conquered the Byzantine / Orthodox world, which it then absorbed much of giving it even more direct contact with Orthodoxy.

2)  Mormonism by contrast has how many degrees of separation with anything resembling Classical Christianity?  As far as I can tell it may be removed pretty far from the Catholic Church.  Either way, I think the "degrees" are hard to pin down due to how Christianity sprung up in America and how we look at this kind of "low Protestantism".

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »

Buddhism I think was fairly peaceful compared to most religions in history, even though it has also its history of violence
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:25:03 PM by beebert »
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »

I assume your reference to a Marquis of Snakes is a speculative or hypothetical diabolical character?

The Marquis of Snakes

Nasty
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »

Buddhism was obscure (probably because it originally amounted to nothing more than the atheistic self-indulgence of a too-clever Brahman prince and a few of his buddies) until it was spread by the sword.
So you have no problem admitting that buddhism was spread by the sword, but when it comes to christianity, historically the most violent of religions along with islam, you deny it? Or do you only deny that christianity has at many times in history been anti-semitic? I wouldn't pick down on Buddha by the way. He was a genius and a brilliant man in his own right. At least he sought he truth and desired peace etc.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:27:55 PM by beebert »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »

So you have no problem admitting that buddhism was spread by the sword, but when it comes to christianity, historically the most violent of religions along with islam, you deny it? Or do you only deny that christianity has at many times in history been anti-semitic? I wouldn't pick down on Buddha by the way. He was a genius and a brilliant man in his own right. At least he sought he truth and desired peace etc.

Little known fact: Buddha was a Calvinist.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »
Yeah after a quick search I do remember listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiVjlknuSw

Good stuff.  So that strongly reinforces my intuition that Mormons have a strong choir tradition

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
Kid became super pious after a pilgrimage to Navoo.

Meesa no carin' about the Navoo.

ROFL!

Whereas Jar Jar was an extreme annoyance, had Lucas used a bit of restraint, there were elements to the Nauvoo and Gungan planetscapes that were spectacularly beautiful and mesmerising.  The villas of the former, the underwater cities of the latter.  I honestly think if TPM had spent more time exploring Nauvoo and Coruscant in a leisurely manner and less time trying to "tie up loose ends" (which is, in a prequel, silly, the most moronic bit being Anakin constructing C3P0), it would have been more popular.  Even Jar Jar might have been better received if he were less than a one dimensional comic relief sidekick.

But I digress.

~

Your central thesis, that Mormonism attracts mainly would be Christians, amd aggressively targets the Orthodox for proselytism, is spot on.  I visited a Mormon meeting place once for a Christmas concert and felt a profound lingering evil. 

Individual Mormons are very loving people, which makes the tragedy of their prelest that much worse.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
As for Christianity we must accept that christians became cruel and murderers and not Christianity itself. It is a very important difference. Christians have behaved violently in the past against the commandments of God while muslims followed the commandments of Quran and became violent. There are plenty of violent verses in that book.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:35:40 PM by Alkis »
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »

Even if I know that is not true: Who cares if he would have been. A brilliant man is a brilliant man. Calvin was brilliant too in his own right.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »

Were I really clever I would do an acrostic that could somehow utilize the Four Noble Truths in TULIP, unfortunately I'm not so clever