Author Topic: Mormonism vs Islam: Which do you dislike more?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Isaiah53IsMessiah

• Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
Mormonism vs Islam: Which do you dislike more?
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
Which religion do you dislike/hate more? Mormonism or Islam?

(Note: These are about the religions (i.e the ideas) of Islam and Mormonism NOT the followers of Mormonism or Islam. As Christians, we should pray for followers of both these religions so that they may see the light of Christ and come and follow him.)
"God can be proved in five ways." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
Re: Mormonism vs Islam: Which do you dislike more?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
In most cases the disdain to a religion equals disdain to followers of that particular religion. I disagree with both and I find Mormonism deliciously absurd and Islam endlessly intriguing but I don't have any strong feelings of either. Mormons and Muslims are both mostly good people and having strong negative feelings of their worldview feels a bit rude. I hope people see my religion in a positive way and try to do the same for others' religion.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

(Note: These are about the religions (i.e the ideas) of Islam and Mormonism NOT the followers of Mormonism or Islam. As Christians, we should pray for followers of both these religions so that they may see the light of Christ and come and follow him.)
I dislike Islam for the same reason I dislike the christendom preached by fundamentalists. I dont dislike muslisms, I have met wonderful muslims. And I like to some degree Sufism, which is quite interesting. Mormonism I know too little about, but they seem to keep to themselves? So why hate them? Or am I wrong there?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:36:07 PM by beebert »
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
Mormonism I know too little about, but they seem to keep to themselves? So why hate them? Or am I wrong there?

Well, they certainly enjoy going from door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood spreading their beliefs. To sum it up, Mormons are polytheist who believe the Trinity to be three different gods, and they believe in the existence of other gods like the "Heavenly Mother" who is the "Heavenly Father's" wife. Also, I do not hate them, but I strongly dislike their ideas about God.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:40:51 PM by Isaiah53IsMessiah »

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 05:41:43 PM »
Mormonism I know too little about, but they seem to keep to themselves? So why hate them? Or am I wrong there?

Well, they certainly enjoy going from door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood spreading their beliefs. To sum it up, Mormons are polytheist who believe the Trinity to be three different gods, and they believe in the existence of other gods like the "Heavenly Mother" who is the "Heavenly Father's" wife.
Sounds quite silly and childish...
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
Islam probably. Mormonism is just ridiculous, it's not an existential threat.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline youssef

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
I don't know what mormon believe. About islam it is difficult for me to hate, Some of my childhood friend are muslim and my first love was a muslim women. There is not one islam, i appreciate Sufism and most of my read now are sufism poetry, i like the popular culture in islam

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
Many great friends and acquaintances in both religions.

Someone in the early days of Mormonism wrote an exposé called something like, Joseph Smith, a Latter-Day Prophet Mohammed pointing out many uncanny similarities between the origins of the two religions and their leaders and scriptures.

Looked at nowadays, both still comprise plenty of pernicious doctrine and authority structures. However, they also offer their followers much security, belonging, and comfort the secular world cannot. How do we measure up?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
I don't know what mormon believe. About islam it is difficult for me to hate, Some of my childhood friend are muslim and my first love was a muslim women. There is not one islam, i appreciate Sufism and most of my read now are sufism poetry, i like the popular culture in islam

Orthodox Sunni Islam, the violent and dangerous one, is 90% of Muslims. Many jihadis have been Sufis.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
Many great friends and acquaintances in both religions.

Someone in the early days of Mormonism wrote an exposé called something like, Joseph Smith, a Latter-Day Prophet Mohammed pointing out many uncanny similarities between the origins of the two religions and their leaders and scriptures.

Looked at nowadays, both still comprise plenty of pernicious doctrine and authority structures. However, they also offer their followers much security, belonging, and comfort the secular world cannot. How do we measure up?

Yeah, that;s a legitimate point.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »
When there is a Mormon State in the United States (or Syria/Levant, flavour du jour), I will dislike Mormonism more.  Until then, they'r just the young missionaries I give water to and freak them out with icons.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
When there is a Mormon State in the United States (or Syria/Levant, flavour du jour), I will dislike Mormonism more.  Until then, they'r just the young missionaries I give water to and freak them out with icons.

It was called Deseret, comprised almost four Western states in size, and surrounding territories such as Oregon and California often considered it a military dictatorship and violent threat.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »

It was called Deseret, comprised almost four Western states in size, and surrounding territories such as Oregon and California often considered it a military dictatorship and violent threat.
Was.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »
Islam,  while Mormonism is wired,  Islam is a threat similar to Nazism,  and Communism was in the past.  That doesn't mean there are bad Muslim's,  there are good ones, most are pious trying to follow their religion the best way possible.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:02:58 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 05:17:34 PM »

Utah. That's where the Mormon HQ is, and the famous Salt Lake City temple is there. Mormons are more numerous than actual Christians in Utah, claiming about 60% of the population.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »

Utah. That's where the Mormon HQ is, and the famous Salt Lake City temple is there. Mormons are more numerous than actual Christians in Utah, claiming about 60% of the population.

Oh, that's cool.  Where do I sign up to saw off heads as a Mormon?

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 09:15:01 PM »
Mormonism, for the same reason I dislike other pseudo-Christian sects, like Charismatism.  It purports to be Christianity and confuses people.  Islam, while vile in many ways and more dangerous in a temporal, physical sense, is not as seductive to those who still think they believe in Christ when they embrace the Mormon "Christ", or the Holy Spirit when they embrace the Marquis of Snakes or whichever other foul entity from the pit is causing them to writhe on the floor and jabber in pseudo-tongues.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 09:44:53 PM »
Mormonism, for the same reason I dislike other pseudo-Christian sects, like Charismatism.  It purports to be Christianity and confuses people.  Islam, while vile in many ways and more dangerous in a temporal, physical sense, is not as seductive to those who still think they believe in Christ when they embrace the Mormon "Christ", or the Holy Spirit when they embrace the Marquis of Snakes or whichever other foul entity from the pit is causing them to writhe on the floor and jabber in pseudo-tongues.
Well, Muslims do love to seduce Christians with the whole Isa/Maryam thing. Most Muslims I met were former Christians who didn't seem to think much changed beside this whole mushrik Trinity thing.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
Well, Muslims do love to seduce Christians with the whole Isa/Maryam thing. Most Muslims I met were former Christians who didn't seem to think much changed beside this whole mushrik Trinity thing.

Western young people are converting to Islam for cultural reasons, not because they're following Christ into new fields of doctrine or something like that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
Not really the Brazilian case, where it's basically former Protestants. Maybe it's their da'wah method here.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 10:56:30 PM »
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
and Islam?

I dislike Green Jell-O Salad more than I do hummus.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:56:53 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »

The real Mormons are headquartered in Independence, Mo. ;)
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
I've been on a real Mormonism kick recently. Where Protestants rejected history, Mormons invented it out of whole cloth. Their religion is fascinating stuff.

As soon as it poured out of the Arabian Peninsula, Islam assumed its position as the premier enemy of Christendom. Maybe it will climb off that pedestal some day but that day isn't here yet.

Neither should be classified as Christian.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:42:40 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 12:07:09 AM »
I've been on a real Mormonism kick recently. Where Protestants rejected history, Mormons invented it out of whole cloth. Their religion is fascinating stuff.

As soon as it poured out of the Arabian Peninsula, Islam assumed its position as the premier enemy of Christendom. Maybe it will climb off that pedestal some day but that day isn't here yet.

My favorite description of Mormonism came from some SBC apologist several years ago, who labeled it the fourth Abrahamic religion.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »

My favorite description of Mormonism came from some SBC apologist several years ago, who labeled it the fourth Abrahamic religion.
Abrahamic religions are monotheistic. Mormonism is polytheistic. Can we really say Mormons are Abrahamic? They seem more like a pagan corruption of Abrahamism.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 01:51:25 AM »

Abrahamic religions are monotheistic. Mormonism is polytheistic. Can we really say Mormons are Abrahamic? They seem more like a pagan corruption of Abrahamism.

We're not monotheistic according to the other Abrahamic faiths, so I'm not sure that's the only measure.

Offline youssef

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 05:26:25 AM »

Orthodox Sunni Islam, the violent and dangerous one, is 90% of Muslims. Many jihadis have been Sufis.

What is the definition of orthodox sunni islam? Give me this name of this jihadis who have been sufis, maybe i consider them as  hero, for exemple in the algerian revolution you have emir abdelkader.

In general in traditional suni islam you have two school of thought, if you want to distinguish them we can say the first is an islamic scholastic theology, this school is majority in african arab country, levant country and non arab sunni country. The second school is against scholastic theology it is the salafist movement and this movement has devolop in 18th century and it is a majority in Gulf country. Now in the last 40 years the second movement because of the petro money has more folowers in other country outside the Gulf but before 40 years it was a minority. Inside this salafist movement you have three school of thought. THe terrorist now are followers of one school of thought. Outside the traditional sunni you have the sunni soufism, and when we talk about sufism we talk about the sufi as a philosophy of ibn arabi and his folowers.

So i don't know where you got your number, you are just doing the orientalism way.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 08:23:52 AM »

I have a hard time believing that.  Most Christian converts to Islam are fully aware that they are joining a new religion which contends that Our Lord Jesus Christ is not God Incarnate but simply a prophet, and not even the last or the greatest of those.  I'm not willing to buy the load of malarkey that this is simply a difference between the methods of Islamic missionaries in the USA vs. Brazil either.  The world is clear on the fact that Islam and Christianity are two different faiths.  Not so much with Christianity vs. Charismatic cults or even Christianity vs. "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".  For simple-minded would-be converts, the choice between Jesus and "Allah" is one thing, while the choice between Jesus and "Jesus" is something else entirely.  In the latter case, they are not always aware that they are leaving Christianity.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
Not really the Brazilian case, where it's basically former Protestants. Maybe it's their da'wah method here.

Really? I dont know anything about muslim proselytism in Brazil, I never found a islamic preacher, I do know some muslims but they never tried to convert me.

Despite some level of simpathy I have for shi'as and sufis of some peaceful sects like mevlevis, I find Islam more problematic than mormonism. Islam is not just a religion, it is a way of organizing society and state as well, it has political terms in its core doctrine and vocabulary, Islam proposes a model of civilization, and they actually had a civilizations, the great islamic empires, the fatimids, the al andalus, the safavids, mughals and others. Mormonism in the other side, as far as I understand, is more of a offshoot of northamerican protestantism and religiosity, looks like a religion specially tailored for anglo-saxon north american culture, I know they proselytize but still, looks like a made up religion like wicca.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
I have a hard time believing that.  Most Christian converts to Islam are fully aware that they are joining a new religion which contends that Our Lord Jesus Christ is not God Incarnate but simply a prophet, and not even the last or the greatest of those.
They're too poorly catechised to care anyway. They may say Muslims are "the real Christians", and their proselytism books are all about drawing similarities with the Christian faith, while still trying to look like a corrected version, extensively quoting the Holy Scriptures to support their blasphemy.

In the latter case, they are not always aware that they are leaving Christianity.
OK, this I give you. Mormons are probably unaware they're changing religion, while Muslims pretty much know it, although their proselytisers may love to make it sound like they're just tasting the real thing they'd been always looking for.

Really? I dont know anything about muslim proselytism in Brazil, I never found a islamic preacher, I do know some muslims but they never tried to convert me.
I had some interaction with the local Muslim community back in 2014/2015, and some ironies of destiny brought me back into this milieu recently.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:24:42 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 12:40:25 PM »
I had some interaction with the local Muslim community back in 2014/2015, and some ironies of destiny brought me back into this milieu recently.

There was a Daesh supporter in one of Rio's mosques.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
I have a hard time believing that.  Most Christian converts to Islam are fully aware that they are joining a new religion which contends that Our Lord Jesus Christ is not God Incarnate but simply a prophet, and not even the last or the greatest of those.
They're too poorly catechised to care anyway. They may say Muslims are "the real Christians", and their proselytism books are all about drawing similarities with the Christian faith, while still trying to look like a corrected version, extensively quoting the Holy Scriptures to support their blasphemy.

Still serves as an excuse for what the convert was moved to do for reasons of cultural dissatisfaction. Nobody thinks, Oh here's a denomination that is closer to Jesus than my Pentecostal church was -- let me join!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »

He wasn't an actual member, though, just some madman who appeared there already supporting ISIS and caused a lot of headache. The most notorious ISIS supporter in Brazil was expelled from the musalla of João Pessoa as soon as his companions realised his extremism, and the girl from Pará who ended up in ISIS retreated from the Belém mosque months before leaving the country. Our communities are rather moderate, but the internet age finds a lot of space for madness inside any fraction of the Ummah.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:19:34 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »

He wasn't an actual member, though, just some madman who appeared there already supporting ISIS and caused a lot of headache. The most notorious ISIS supporter in Brazil was expelled from the musalla of João Pessoa as soon as his companions realised his extremism, and the girl from Pará who ended up in ISIS retreated from the Belém mosque months before leaving the country. Our communities are rather moderate, but the internet age finds a lot of space for madness inside any fraction of the Ummah.

Yeah, brazilian muslims are quite liberal I guess. Sheikh Imram Hossein went to my town once to talk with the local muslim community, he simpathyses with orthodox christianity.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Our communities are rather moderate, but the internet age finds a lot of space for madness inside any fraction of the Ummah.
Also, I suspect most of the Islamic diaspora and maybe even Muslim countries have roughly the same scenario.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
Our communities are rather moderate, but the internet age finds a lot of space for madness inside any fraction of the Ummah.
Also, I suspect most of the Islamic diaspora and maybe even Muslim countries have roughly the same scenario.

Exactly. The Muslim-majority countries were overrun by this radical stuff before anybody else was. Some have fought back hard, others (like Saudi Arabia) seem to have embraced it.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »
Mormonism because at least in Islam they believe in God/Allah the non-pantheistic divine Supreme Being and Creator of the world. And if someone is Muslim, I think that they are not actually required to do the bad things that many Muslims like in ISIS and Saudi Arabian prisons do.

In Mormonism as I understand it, "God" is actually a space alien who lives on another planet.

The doctrine of eternal progression was succinctly summarized by LDS Church leader Lorenzo Snow: "As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be."[2][3] According to Smith's King Follett discourse, God the Father himself once passed through mortality as Jesus did, but how, when, or where that took place is unclear. The prevailing view among Mormons is that God once lived on a planet with his own higher god.[4][5]

According to Mormon scripture, the Earth's creation was not ex nihilo, but organized from existing matter. The Earth is just one of many inhabited worlds, and there are many governing heavenly bodies, including the planet or star Kolob, which is said to be nearest the throne of God.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmologyhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmology

Mormonism teaches that God used to be a man on another world, and that he became a god by following the laws and ordinances of his god on his home world.  He brought his wife to this world, a woman he had married on the other world.  She is essentially a goddess.

In his present god-state, he rules our world.  He has a body of flesh and bones.  Since god and his wife are both exalted persons, they each possess physical bodies.  In their exalted states as deities, they produce spirit children that grow and mature in the spiritual realm.  The first spirit born was Jesus.  Afterwards, Lucifer was born along with the rest of us.  So, Mormonism teaches that we all pre-existed in the spirit realm - having been produced from the union of god and his goddess wife.  Therefore, we all existed in spirit form before coming down and entering the bodies of human babies that are being born on earth.  During this ‘compression' into the infant state, the memories of our pre-existence is 'veiled.'
https://carm.org/mormonism-in-a-nutshell
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:41:48 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »
Worth keeping in mind that Mormon doctrine is malleable and can be changed at any time by decree of the Prophet and his apostles. Also, that Mormons tend to be made up largely of converts. Therefore, it's not accurate to say current Mormons believe something from 1860 or 1960. In fact they may never even have heard of an older belief. In 2000, there was a huge push by Mormon leadership to reframe doctrine in more-nearly Evangelical terms. In addition, the denial of some aspects of the past was softened, as church scholars engaged detractors in a bit more moderate fashion. It was around that time Christianity Today began to float the idea that Mormons may be Christians and include editorials by Mormon writers.

Eventually, it's not inconceivable the LDS church could come to resemble the other major branch of Mormonism, which now calls itself the Community of Christ. They don't use the Book of Mormon in services, their leadership is elected, and they officially leave doctrine and belief up to the individual.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »

I assume your reference to a Marquis of Snakes is a speculative or hypothetical diabolical character?
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »

I kind of side with AN on this; Mormonism leads the faithful astray by being counterfeit Christianity
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »

I assume your reference to a Marquis of Snakes is a speculative or hypothetical diabolical character?

The Marquis of Snakes

• Taxiarches
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
They're too poorly catechised to care anyway.

It doesn't take extensive catechesis for a Christian of any stripe to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that God is a Trinity and that Islam is a separate religion altogether.  This is not the case with pseudo-Christian cults like Mormonism which parrots much of Christian terminology, but with an entirely different meaning.

And if someone is sophisticated enough to make the kind of weird, stretch of an argument that you're making below, it's not that they're poorly catechized, it's that they're willfully deluding themselves. 

They may say Muslims are "the real Christians", and their proselytism books are all about drawing similarities with the Christian faith, while still trying to look like a corrected version, extensively quoting the Holy Scriptures to support their blasphemy.

They're not trying to look like a "corrected version" of Christianity.  They're trying to look like the next and final revelation of God to His people.  I doubt that many apostates would say that they embraced Islam because it was "real Christianity", but rather the fulfillment of Judaism and Christianity.

In the latter case, they are not always aware that they are leaving Christianity.
OK, this I give you. Mormons are probably unaware they're changing religion, while Muslims pretty much know it, although their proselytisers may love to make it sound like they're just tasting the real thing they'd been always looking for.

The real thing, as in a faithful interpretation of God's revelation, yes.  The "real Christianity", not so much.

Unfortunately, in North America at least, there's also the racial factor.  If you say to the average whitebread American the word "Christian" (which to him means Protestant) he pictures:

Mormon:

Even Jehovah's Witness:

But Muslim:

Or maybe:

You know, something his punk behind finds physically threatening, as opposed to the more subtle but absolutely poisonous and soul-destroying spiritual threat cloaked in a veneer he finds more "wholesome" and acceptable.

I had a long debate with one of my least favorite posters in the history of oc.net - a brainwashed boob - who was insistent that Mormons actually worshipped the Christian God (never mind planet Kolob), and I was judgmental to claim they didn't, while, he asserted, Muslims absolutely did not.  ::)
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »

Still serves as an excuse for what the convert was moved to do for reasons of cultural dissatisfaction. Nobody thinks, Oh here's a denomination that is closer to Jesus than my Pentecostal church was -- let me join!

+1
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »
I love Brother Mouzone. I wish he got more screen-time.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

• Taxiarches
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »
I love Brother Mouzone. I wish he got more screen-time.

You and I really have to grab a coffee and talk TV some day!  ;D
Now accepting brief PMs.