Author Topic: More beards, less gays  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: More beards, less gays
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
In my opinion, if you want to grow a beard, go right ahead. I would not think a man less manly, however, if he were unable to grow a beard, or required to shave because of some rule at his job.

What if he were perfectly able to grow a beard, and no one at his job would balk, but he just didn't feel like growing one?

Thank you.    I thought I was speaking swahili for a while there...

Careful.  You're going to prompt Alpha60 to start bloviating about the history of the Swahili language and stereotyping its speakers based on the writings of some 19th century British expedition to Kilwa.

Whenever I shave, I start fantasizing about Mor immediately thereafter.

Just sayin'

Yeah, but that also happens when you don't shave.

"Effeminate ... shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (St. Paul).

We've been through this before.  Shaving is not effeminate.  And lots of homosexuals are masculine.

"That women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array" (St. Paul).

"Wives ... whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel" (St. Peter).

I think you're focusing too much on the letter of the law here at the expense of the spirit.  Do you really think that braids or plaits on a girl are a sign of impiety?  Oftentimes, those sorts of hairstyles can look very modest.  Same with gold, like a wedding band.  I think the basic message here is "don't be vain and flashy".

What about "long hair on the head of a man is a shame"?  How many non-monastic Orthodox converts obsessed with Tsarist Russia do you know with long ponytails?  And why aren't their prohibitions on shaving in the teachings of the Apostles if it means all that you and the Metro think it means?

Why are you talking to me? The Apostles can hear you in your heart.

And the dialogue sputters to a creaking halt with this cute non-answer and the accompanying refusal to address the questions posited in the quoted text here or in post # 32.  Why am I talking to you when the Apostles can hear me in my heart?  Because I embrace their teaching, and I don't think it aligns with your philosophy on beards and sexuality the way you think it does.

Every single reply in the post of yours that I responded to that way was you expressing beef with a direct quote from an Apostle. You find it cute; I find it disturbing. Maybe put your foot on the brake.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Just sayin'

I've never seen you with a beard, so you must think of me often. 
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Apparently you can get the Juice or Power from a certain Icon.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »
In my opinion, if you want to grow a beard, go right ahead. I would not think a man less manly, however, if he were unable to grow a beard, or required to shave because of some rule at his job.

What if he were perfectly able to grow a beard, and no one at his job would balk, but he just didn't feel like growing one?

Careful.  You're going to prompt Alpha60 to start bloviating about the history of the Swahili language and stereotyping its speakers based on the writings of some 19th century British expedition to Kilwa.

Just sayin'

We've been through this before.  Shaving is not effeminate.  And lots of homosexuals are masculine.

"That women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array" (St. Paul).

"Wives ... whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel" (St. Peter).

I think you're focusing too much on the letter of the law here at the expense of the spirit.  Do you really think that braids or plaits on a girl are a sign of impiety?  Oftentimes, those sorts of hairstyles can look very modest.  Same with gold, like a wedding band.  I think the basic message here is "don't be vain and flashy".

What about "long hair on the head of a man is a shame"?  How many non-monastic Orthodox converts obsessed with Tsarist Russia do you know with long ponytails?  And why aren't their prohibitions on shaving in the teachings of the Apostles if it means all that you and the Metro think it means?

And the dialogue sputters to a creaking halt with this cute non-answer and the accompanying refusal to address the questions posited in the quoted text here or in post # 32.  Why am I talking to you when the Apostles can hear me in my heart?  Because I embrace their teaching, and I don't think it aligns with your philosophy on beards and sexuality the way you think it does.

Every single reply in the post of yours that I responded to that way was you expressing beef with a direct quote from an Apostle. You find it cute; I find it disturbing. Maybe put your foot on the brake.

I don't grow my beard on my face. I grow my beard on my head. It's about 3 times as large as the beard you have in your pic. Does that count?
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
So, Porter... does shaving make one gay?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »

Just sayin'

I don't grow my beard on my face. I grow my beard on my head. It's about 3 times as large as the beard you have in your pic. Does that count?

Don't feel bad. You make do with the testosterone you have.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »

It might turn one masochist.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »

Just sayin'

I've never seen you with a beard, so you must think of me often.
You have no idea...  :-*
God bless!

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Lost in the sectarian sauce
  • Jurisdiction: "Can't we all just get along?"
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

It might turn one masochist.

Oh boy....
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »

Just sayin'

Where exactly is my point of divergence with the teachings of any Apostle other than those of the Apostle Porter?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.