Author Topic: Your favorite Church fathers  (Read 339 times)

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
Your favorite Church fathers
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:55:20 PM »
Who is/are your favorite fathers? And which fathers are the greatest according to you? From those I have read and read about, my favorites so far are Gregory of Nyssa(He is exceptionally sophisticated with a mystical sense), Origen, Isaac the Syrian and Maximos the Confessor. Though I would also have to admit the greatness of Augustine's philosophical and psychological depth  (But I despise some of his later conclusions of things). So what are your favorites?
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Your favorite Church fathers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
I love St. Augustine, maybe because he was by far the one I read the most.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
St. John, the Evangelist and Theologian, and St. Polycarp. And St. Papias. The Cappadocians but particularly he of Nyssa. These are the Saint Teachers I love most. But we have such an over-abounding wealth of beloved and God-filled Fathers that we are blessed more than anyone could list.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:18:32 PM »
St. Gregory the Theologian
St. Maximus the Confessor

And I won't say Origen since this is asking about "Church fathers," so... I'm not sure after that. Maybe St. Lucian of Antioch or St. Isaac the Syrian.

I'd like to pick someone more recent, but no one comes to mind as a 'favorite' who'd merit "Church Father" status.

Oh, also, I follow Apollos, Cephas and Paul.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 04:47:42 PM »
Augustine because he's so popular around here right now.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
St. Gregory the Theologian
St. Maximus the Confessor

And I won't say Origen since this is asking about "Church fathers," so... I'm not sure after that. Maybe St. Lucian of Antioch or St. Isaac the Syrian.

I'd like to pick someone more recent, but no one comes to mind as a 'favorite' who'd merit "Church Father" status.

Oh, also, I follow Apollos, Cephas and Paul.
I know Origen isnt considered a saint, but I thought he was actually considered a church father?
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
I'm probably most familiar with Sts: Ignatius, Polycarp, Ireaneus, Justin the Martyr, Ambrose, Athanasius, Basil, Justinian, and Chrysostom.  Those were the ones that were most read during my formative years, have been with me longest, and have stayed with me all this time.  Kind of a random collection, but those were all read to some degree or another before college, and some before high school even.  I'm not too sure about the word "favorite", that's an odd term, but those are the ones that I grew up with.  Of those Ignatius, Athanasius, and maybe Basil have been with me the longest.  Were I to suggest one writing by one Father at random it would probably be Athanasius'  "On The Incarnation".
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:37:57 PM by William T »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
I know Origen isnt considered a saint, but I thought he was actually considered a church father?

I have no idea what Catholics and some Protestants would consider him; they have different criteria for being a Church Father than the Orthodox. However, while the context, validity, and specifics of the condemnations of Origen/Origenism in the 4th-6th centuries continue to be debated, and while I think most acknowledge that he was capable of brilliance, I doubt many EO would call him a Father. For my part I wouldn't consider all saints to be Fathers/Mothers of the Church, but I would consider an official recognition of being a saint to be one of the prerequisites for being a 'Father.'
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:53:56 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »

I have no idea what Catholics and some Protestants would consider him; they have different criteria for being a Church Father than the Orthodox. However, while the context, validity, and specifics of the condemnations of Origen/Origenism in the 4th-6th centuries continue to be debated, and while I think most acknowledge that he was capable of brilliance, I doubt many EO would call him a Father. For my part I wouldn't consider all saints to be Fathers/Mothers of the Church, but I would consider an official recognition of saintliness to be one of the prerequisites for being a 'Father.'

Catholics consider Origen, Tertullien, and Clement of Alexandria among others to be Fathers.  They may have a distinction between Father and Saint, I'm not too sure on that.  In EO they are generally not considered fathers or saints...but it is impossible to do any serious historical study, Biblical exegesis, or have an appreciation of the Fathers without any of these men, especially Origen.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »

I have no idea what Catholics and some Protestants would consider him; they have different criteria for being a Church Father than the Orthodox. However, while the context, validity, and specifics of the condemnations of Origen/Origenism in the 4th-6th centuries continue to be debated, and while I think most acknowledge that he was capable of brilliance, I doubt many EO would call him a Father. For my part I wouldn't consider all saints to be Fathers/Mothers of the Church, but I would consider an official recognition of saintliness to be one of the prerequisites for being a 'Father.'

Catholics consider Origen, Tertullien, and Clement of Alexandria among others to be Fathers.  They may have a distinction between Father and Saint, I'm not too sure on that.  In EO they are generally not considered fathers or saints...but it is impossible to do any serious historical study, Biblical exegesis, or have an appreciation of the Fathers without any of these men, especially Origen.

Is he a Doctor of the church?

As far as Orthodoxy is concerned, he's obviously a father of our Church and its teaching, but as an anathematized teacher, he isn't a Father. A father of Fathers.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
Saint John Damascene, in short words becaufe of: being an Arab (and Greeks didn't like him during his lifetime), icons (including the fact his miracled is connected with the most venerated icon by Serbs: Trojeručica), against Islam, great hymns (and my favourite one, the Paschal Canon).

I'm slowly getting know st. Ephrem the Syrian and I like his writing, I wish more of his hymns were used in the Byzantine rite.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Origen,Damascene,Tertullian,Chrysologus,Fulgence, etc.
Learn meditation.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Saint John Damascene, in short words becaufe of: being an Arab (and Greeks didn't like him during his lifetime)...

What?  ;)

...icons (including the fact his miracled is connected with the most venerated icon by Serbs: Trojeručica)...

Incidentally, this is one of my favourite icons.  Before I knew anything about the history behind it, I got a kick out of it because I associate "holy people with more than two hands" with Hinduism. 

...against Islam, great hymns (and my favourite one, the Paschal Canon).

+1

I'm slowly getting know st. Ephrem the Syrian and I like his writing, I wish more of his hymns were used in the Byzantine rite.

Live forever.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.