Author Topic: Ten Years of Illegal Detention of Patriarch Abune Antonios of Eritrea  (Read 459 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
georgy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
What's the canonical consensus on this? I mean, it seems obvious the man should not be under arrest, but is he seen as "patriarch" or "anti-patriarch"?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
He is seen as the canonical patriarch.  He has been in the diptychs up until this day, and we refuse to add to the diptychs any other name (like Abune Dioscorus, who is considered uncanonical).
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
He is seen as the canonical patriarch.  He has been in the diptychs up until this day, and we refuse to add to the diptychs any other name (like Abune Dioscorus, who is considered uncanonical).

Thank you. Is there much of a growing Arab economic and political influence in Eritrea, as there reportedly is in Ethiopia these days?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches

Thank you. Is there much of a growing Arab economic and political influence in Eritrea, as there reportedly is in Ethiopia these days?

I don't know much about Eritrean culture and demographics other than certain basics.  It's possible there is some Arab influence.  Arabic is one of the recognized languages in Eritrea, and religious demographics in Eritrea is more or less similar to Ethiopia.  However, the Eritrean leader is understood to be more authoritarian in nature than Ethiopia presently.  They are also economically in a much worse position than Ethiopia, and overall does not seem to foster good relations with other African and Arab nations as Ethiopia does.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
It seems Eritrea has been getting a lot of bad press- some of it surely deserved. But then I see someone calling them "the North Korea of Africa" and the hysteria seems motivated by something other than concern for human rights, especially as repression by Ethiopia's government gets ignored or downplayed.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches

I don't know much about Eritrean culture and demographics other than certain basics.  It's possible there is some Arab influence.  Arabic is one of the recognized languages in Eritrea, and religious demographics in Eritrea is more or less similar to Ethiopia.  However, the Eritrean leader is understood to be more authoritarian in nature than Ethiopia presently.  They are also economically in a much worse position than Ethiopia, and overall does not seem to foster good relations with other African and Arab nations as Ethiopia does.

Well, I didn't mean culture and language but direct interference, like the Saudi tycoons in Ethiopia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
In the name of the Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit one God Amen.

This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. [Psalm 118:24]

After many efforts taken by the Union of the Monasteries and Church Scholars of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church, the issue of Patriarch Abune Antonios the Third has come to an end on 07/11/2017. We gladly want to inform to all its faithful Christians and friends that the Holy Synod Meeting has come to conclusion with full reconciliation, peace and love with Abune Antonios in the presence of Union of the Monasteries and Church Scholars.

The Holy Synod of Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church
Asmara, Eritrea
07/13/2017

https://english.eritreantewahdo.org/?sermons=the-holy-sinod-statement-about-abune-antonios
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Does that mean the Holy Synod now recognizes Abune Antonios as the head of the Church in Eritrea?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
Does that mean the Holy Synod now recognizes Abune Antonios as the head of the Church in Eritrea?

The statement was a little less clear to me than various FB comments claiming that, indeed, the Synod now recognises Abune Antonios as primate of the Church, that he celebrated Liturgy with the bishops, etc.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Ten Years of Illegal Detention of Patriarch Abune Antonios of Eritrea
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »

The statement was a little less clear to me than various FB comments claiming that, indeed, the Synod now recognises Abune Antonios as primate of the Church, that he celebrated Liturgy with the bishops, etc.

The Eritrean Church seems to me to be the most "mysterious" one from all Orthodox canonical local Churches. It's really hard - at least in English - to find what's happening at this church, some pictures, news, the list of bishops and so on.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Eritrean authorities have stage-managed the first public appearance in 10 years of Patriarch Abune Antonios, rights group Christian Solidarity Worldwide has told RFI. The former head of the country’s Orthodox Church had been under house arrest for opposing the government's attempts to control one of the country’s largest Christian denominations.

“Everything points to trying to manage a narrative because of international pressure,” said Christian Solidarity Worldwide’s Khataza Gondwe, referring to Antonios’s appearance during mass at a cathedral in Asmara on Sunday.

Despite being present at the service, Antonios was not allowed to say anything, people were forbidden from taking photographs and afterwards he was returned to where he is being detained, said Gondwe. “There were suspicions that this might not be all that it cracked up to be,” she added.

http://m.en.rfi.fr/africa/20170718-eritrea-manipulates-reappearance-detained-orthodox-church-leader

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
This is so confusing!

May God strengthen His Holiness Abune Antonios and keep him for many more years!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
Amen. Lord, have mercy.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »
Eritrean authorities have stage-managed the first public appearance in 10 years of Patriarch Abune Antonios, rights group Christian Solidarity Worldwide has told RFI. The former head of the country’s Orthodox Church had been under house arrest for opposing the government's attempts to control one of the country’s largest Christian denominations.

“Everything points to trying to manage a narrative because of international pressure,” said Christian Solidarity Worldwide’s Khataza Gondwe, referring to Antonios’s appearance during mass at a cathedral in Asmara on Sunday.

Despite being present at the service, Antonios was not allowed to say anything, people were forbidden from taking photographs and afterwards he was returned to where he is being detained, said Gondwe. “There were suspicions that this might not be all that it cracked up to be,” she added.

http://m.en.rfi.fr/africa/20170718-eritrea-manipulates-reappearance-detained-orthodox-church-leader

^ Sadly, this is what is happening.  It's good to see that international pressure is having some effect.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
georgy