OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:09:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox ?  (Read 1283 times) Average Rating: 0
arjuna3110

« on: September 16, 2005, 12:43:38 AM »

Are there any converts here who weighed whether to convert to the Orthodox Church or to one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Coptic, Ethiopian, Armenian, etc.) ?   If so, which Church did you choose and why did you pick it over the other?  Thank you for any replies.
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:03:06 AM »

The question is loaded and I can't give any due respect to it since it's adherents are under this forum co-existing in peace with some animosities.With all semantics aside, I dare you to go do something uncomfortable arjuna that way your faith is tested by your theosis. Attain spiritual adivce with a blessing from a priest and I wish I could give blessings out but that would be self-satisfaction. Which is what you want this question to be answered for. However see yourself in good standing with a parish and then you will see whether or not you want to convert to orthodoxy or not..

I'll be praying for you....
arjuna3110

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 07:03:59 AM »

The question is loaded and I can't give any due respect to it since it's adherents are under this forum co-existing in peace with some animosities.With all semantics aside, I dare you to go do something uncomfortable arjuna that way your faith is tested by your theosis. Attain spiritual adivce with a blessing from a priest and I wish I could give blessings out but that would be self-satisfaction. Which is what you want this question to be answered for. However see yourself in good standing with a parish and then you will see whether or not you want to convert to orthodoxy or not..

I'll be praying for you....

I apologize if I expressed myself wrong in language or tone.  And I thank you for your prayers.

I'll try to re-state the question accurately and inoffensively.  I am genuinely curious if anyone who converted to Orthodoxy had to choose between Chalcedonian Orthodoxy or non-Chalcedonian Orthodoxy?  In other words, was anyone attracted or interested by both and had to pick one?  If so, and if it is not too personal, I would ask you to share what led you to choose one tradition of Orthodoxy over another. 

The reason for my question is this.  I am considering converting to Orthodoxy, but I am becoming aware of its different traditions / denominations (Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian), and I find this intriguing but confusing, and I was wondering if anyone else faced this same situation too. 

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »

I apologize if I expressed myself wrong in language or tone.ÂÂ  And I thank you for your prayers.

I'll try to re-state the question accurately and inoffensively.ÂÂ  I am genuinely curious if anyone who converted to Orthodoxy had to choose between Chalcedonian Orthodoxy or non-Chalcedonian Orthodoxy?ÂÂ  In other words, was anyone attracted or interested by both and had to pick one?ÂÂ  If so, and if it is not too personal, I would ask you to share what led you to choose one tradition of Orthodoxy over another.ÂÂ  

The reason for my question is this.ÂÂ  I am considering converting to Orthodoxy, but I am becoming aware of its different traditions / denominations (Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian), and I find this intriguing but confusing, and I was wondering if anyone else faced this same situation too.ÂÂ  

I know of some people who converted to a certain Orthodox family just because they like their theologians better, or the expression of faith is something they would rather express.ÂÂ  In addition, due to contemporary peace, it's possible, as I've seen with one, to become an EO, for example, but embrace OO theologians as well, or vice versa.  Many times people become what their nearest parish offers, regardless of the differences.

God bless.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 11:55:53 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »

I apologize if I expressed myself wrong in language or tone.ÂÂ  And I thank you for your prayers.

It's not that, it's just the wrong issue...I'm thinking that you've been around here long enough to see how any EO vs. OO issues can so easily explode (especially with characters like EA and myself around Grin ). So in my effort to keep the peace (for a little while longer anyway, as I am about as tired as the debates as everyone else (but no, this doesn't mean I'll back down Wink )), I encourage you to study the issues and pray.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
arjuna3110

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 09:44:43 PM »

Thank you, everyone, for your replies !   Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: