Author Topic: Paschal Rush service  (Read 840 times)

Offline kuddes6

• Faith: Becoming Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese USA
Paschal Rush service
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
Hey, a quick question from a n00b Orthodox: what is the origin and/or meaning of the term "Rush" regarding the rush service at Pascha?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Paschal Rush service
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:25:50 AM »
Perhaps rushing to the empty tomb.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
In Slavic tradition it's not named "rush". But in the Arabic one, indeed, it's  هجمة - hajme, meaning  an attack. I think it's related to the last part of this service: opening of the door with priest shouting "Let the King of the Glory may enter" and knocking (or even hiting) the door of the church 3 times.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
In Slavic tradition it's not named "rush". But in the Arabic one, indeed, it's  هجمة - hajme, meaning  an attack. I think it's related to the last part of this service: opening of the door with priest shouting "Let the King of the Glory may enter" and knocking (or even hiting) the door of the church 3 times.

Or this...
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

Or this...

Trying to shoot him down before Transfiguration!
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »

Or this...

Well, I meant this
and this
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »

Or this...

Well, I meant this
and this

I knew that!   :-*
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline kuddes6

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »

Got it, so you're saying it doesn't have a "Rushian" origin?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »

Slavic does not mean only "Russian". Anyway, in Slavic tradition this part of Paschal service is called "zautrenia", it means "before-matins" or "before the dawn".

Offline kuddes6

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »

Slavic does not mean only "Russian". Anyway, in Slavic tradition this part of Paschal service is called "zautrenia", it means "before-matins" or "before the dawn".

Oh dear, I was afraid that my humor would go over like a lead balloon. I'm aware of all that, I was making a bad pun for humor. Pray for me... 😃

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 06:37:11 PM »

Oh dear, I was afraid that my humor would go over like a lead balloon. I'm aware of all that, I was making a bad pun for humor. Pray for me... 😃

Being a Polish Orthodox, I'm very vulnerable to assigment Orthodox (the best) traditions to Russians :P

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »

Offline kuddes6

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »

I won't deny that my first Pascha liturgy this year did seem like it was 2112 hours 😋

Offline kuddes6

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »

Being a Polish Orthodox, I'm very vulnerable to assigment Orthodox (the best) traditions to Russians :P

Wow, that's cool, I mean I haven't been Orthodox long, but I've never met any Polish Orthodox. As a convert from Catholicism, I will say that the Poles seemed to be among the most zealous Catholics, I bet you have your work cut out for you

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:27 AM »

Wow, that's cool, I mean I haven't been Orthodox long, but I've never met any Polish Orthodox. As a convert from Catholicism, I will say that the Poles seemed to be among the most zealous Catholics, I bet you have your work cut out for you

We, Polish Orthodox, form an autocephalus Church ;) But yeah, tehre are very few Polish Orthodox in US, and there are no Polish Orthodox parishes - Orthodox people of Polish descent attend various jurisdictions.

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »
I have only heard this term in the Greek Church. I always understood it to mean that the service was performed more quickly than a normal Liturgy.  Of course, this might not be the case in a monastery, where the Paschal Liturgy could extend all the way till dawn.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?