Author Topic: Service times in major Orthodox cities  (Read 273 times)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Service times in major Orthodox cities
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »
In places like Moscow, Belgrade, Sofia, Bucharest or Athens, or from an OO perspective, Cairo or Addis Ababa or Yerevan, can one find daily service of the divine liturgy at the major cathedrals, or multiple liturgies served by different priests on different altars?  For example, Sunday liturgies at the monastic time of midnight or the "dangerous neighborhood Pascha" time of 8 PM on Saturday, or early in the morning on Sunday, such as at 6 or 7 AM, in addition to the more common times?

Or is that kind of scheduling and availability primarily an RC/Western phenomenon, driven by the historic Roman Rite prohibition on concelebration and the requirement for all priests, even retirees, to say mass daily?
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Service times in major Orthodox cities
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Frankly speaking, I'm not sure, if I have understood your questions properly.

I can say that in Belgrade there are some parishes that have daily Liturgies, some also have other services (mainly Vespers and Akathists); it applies also to other cities and even small towns in Serbia and Bosnia. It also take places in the Warsaw cathedral and in some parishes in Białystok (one of the biggest Polish cities, and amogn them the one with the strongest Orthodox population).

In Poland many parishes, including mine, have 2 (some even 3) Sunday Liturgies - they are celebrated on different altars by different priests.
If I'm not mistaken, today (Holy Spirit Monday) in the cathedral in Białystok there are two Liturgies: the first one in the basement churhc at 5 AM and the second one at 8 or 9 AM in the ground (main) church.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Service times in major Orthodox cities
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
Frankly speaking, I'm not sure, if I have understood your questions properly.

I can say that in Belgrade there are some parishes that have daily Liturgies, some also have other services (mainly Vespers and Akathists); it applies also to other cities and even small towns in Serbia and Bosnia. It also take places in the Warsaw cathedral and in some parishes in Białystok (one of the biggest Polish cities, and amogn them the one with the strongest Orthodox population).

In Poland many parishes, including mine, have 2 (some even 3) Sunday Liturgies - they are celebrated on different altars by different priests.
If I'm not mistaken, today (Holy Spirit Monday) in the cathedral in Białystok there are two Liturgies: the first one in the basement churhc at 5 AM and the second one at 8 or 9 AM in the ground (main) church.

Very good.   That's precisely the kind of information I was seeking, and also your answer is what I was hoping to read.

Regarding Yerevan by the way; Brigidsboy, corrrect me if I am wrong, but there, the Armenian church with a few exceptions like Holy Thursday does not serve the Eucharist except on Sunday, right?  So I wonder if on Sunday there are different service times available, and also if people attend divine office services like Vespers during thr week, or if that tends to be limited to the monks.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.