Author Topic: Coptic Orthodox Synod (June 2017) News  (Read 467 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Coptic Orthodox Synod (June 2017) News
« on: June 02, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
Decisions and recommendations of the Holy Synod in its session of June 2017

First: Decisions

1. Considering 8 Amshir – 15 February of each year a day to commemorate modern age Coptic martyrs.

2. Creating a special department in the General Bishopric for Social Services to specialize in caring for the families of martyrs and confessors.

3. Acknowledgement of the monastery of St. Boctor in Khatatba for monks.

4. Reconfirming the decision made before that no ritual books are to be printed without written approval of the Holy Synod or the rituals committee.

5. No recording of Coptic hymns will be approved as a reference except if issued by the rituals committee of the Holy Synod.

6. Assuring that passing a church course in preparation for marriage or obtaining a certificate from one of the Church approved centers is one of the conditions before writing the engagement record.

Second: Recommendations

1. Care and Service Committee:
The Synod committee for combating addiction recommended that each parish appoint a priest or servant to be in charge of addiction cases, encouraging the parishes that have medical centers or hospitals to build a special department for psychiatry. The committee also recommended that parishes raise awareness on the dangers of addiction for the different educational levels. The committee has also requested that priests and servants of both sexes get training on the talents of combating addiction.

2. The Committee of Faith, Education and Legislation:
The committee values the efforts of His Holiness Pope Tawadros II in the ecumenical relations and His Holiness’s signing the joint statement with His Holiness Pope Francis the Pope of Rome on Friday, 28/4/2017 and it was published in Al Kiraza magazine, issues 17 & 18 for the year 45 issued on Friday, 5 May 2017 – 27 Baramuda 1733 in pages 6 & 7 of the magazine. This was followed with an impressive celebration in which ecumenical prayers were raised attended by His Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, Patriarch of Constantinople along with Their Holinesses, the Pope of Alexandria and the Pope of Rome and the Heads of Christian churches in Egypt at the church of St. Peter and St. Paul in honour of the martyrs of the church for this year. It was an eventful day for strengthening the ecumenical relations.

The committee has also assured that there has to be discrimination between the usual joint statements issued by Their Holinesses, the Heads of the churches in their ecumenical meetings and between the official agreements on belief, which have to be approved by the Holy Synods of their churches.⁠⁠⁠⁠

3. The Medical Committee
“Christian teaching announces clearly that any faithful person is defiled only by sin.

And that man is the temple for the Holy Spirit, which does not leave him except in the case of dying in sin. Thus, the woman is pure and a temple for the Holy Spirit in all days of her life.

But, due to piety and proper care for Holy Communion, and abiding by the traditions handed down to us, it is proper for man and woman to abstain from communion in periods of physical unpreparedness* except in special cases as decided by the spiritual priest for pastoral reasons.

We also assure that woman is not prohibited under all circumstances from performing all other spiritual practices including personal prayers, liturgy, reading the bible, service or being present in church.

We also confirm that a baby can be baptized (boy or girl) from the first day of its birth if necessary”

*(bodily discharge of all kinds: nocturnal emission, monthly period, post-birth bleeding, sexual intercourse)

https://www.facebook.com/CopticSP/posts/1396026123768855:0
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Coptic Orthodox Synod (June 2017) News
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
A statement on the occasion of the assembly of the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church

Regular session, Feast of the Pentecost, June 2017 A.D.

Our meeting for this session comes while our country and our church are going through painful circumstances as a result of the consecutive terrorist attacks on our churches and our children all over Egypt.

St. Peter’s church in Cairo, St. George Church in Tanta and St. Mark’s Church in Alexandria have been subject to terrorist bombings, which resulted in the martyrdom and injury of a large number of our church members as well as some policemen.
Also, a number of our sons and daughters have been martyred in Northern Sinai at the hands of evil terrorism, which forced some Christian families to relocate outside the governorate to avoid the imminent danger of terrorism.

A few days ago, another group of our sons and daughters have been murdered by the bullets of treacherous terrorism after being blockaded on the route to St. Samuel the Confessor Monastery in Qalamoun Mountain, Minya Governorate.

As the terrorists failed to make them forsake their faith, they opened fire on them, leaving them between testifying martyrs and injured confessors.

The Holy Synod with all its members, headed by His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, while proud of their sons and daughters, especially the children, who withheld to their Most Holy Christ and followed his steps in carrying the cross, express full support to the families of the martyrs and injured and share their pain and sorrow.

We look up with all faith to God, the Controller of all, to pour his solace abundantly in the hurting hearts and touch the injured with His healing touch, to protect his Holy Church and its blessed people, to preserve peace and security in Egypt and to have mercy on its strong and patient people.

We are sure that those pains and tribulations will only increase the Coptic Chruch’s faith in its Most Holy Christ and its Most Holy Faith.

The church will also remain holding strongly to its historic constants in withholding peace of society. Those incidents will only push us in the direction of Christian love to all partners of the nation. We are with no virtue and no use if we don’t love without discrimination, and we are reminded by the call of Jesus Christ “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:35)

In this context, the Holy Synod values the noble stand of the families of the martyrs and injured in all the previous incidents, as a living example of love, forgiveness to the abusers and aggressors “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matthew 5: 44)

On the other hand, we would like to confirm that the real Christian loves life and is not afraid of death, he does not deny faith or forsake love, he asks for justice and full citizenship based on the constitution and the laws, but martyrdom, when it comes as a price for withholding faith, is a beloved wish.

We would also like to mention that the Committee of Crisis Management at the Holy Synod has done its role in following up on the injured and transportation of bodies in all martyrdom incidents that have occurred and followed up on covering the needs of the Christian families of Al-Arish, exerting a great effort in coordinating with the relevant authorities.

It has been decided to create a special department at the General Bishopric of Social Services to care for the families of martyrs and confessors, directly supervised by His Holiness, Pope Tawadros II and His Grace, Bishop Youlious, the General Bishop.

While the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox church appreciates the efforts of the national authorities on all levels, we thank all authorities, institutions and persons, inside and outside Egypt, who have helped and supported the sons and daughters of the Church in those dire circumstances.

The Holy Synod has decided to make a comprehensive historic documentation for all those incidents to commemorate our martyrs and injured. The Synod had also decided to consecrate the day of 8 Amshir/15 February of each year (which is the Feast of presenting the Lord Christ to the temple and the memory of the Libya martyrs) to be an annual commemoration of all the contemporary martyrs.

The members of the Holy Synod ascertain that they love and cherish the Coptic Orthodox Church and His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, the successor of St. Mark the Apostle, who is considered the symbol of the Father and the Shepherd of whom we are proud and revere

We would also like to thank the Russian Orthodox Church for bestowing on His Holiness Pope Tawadros II the Award of the International Institution for Unity among Orthodox Peoples in appreciation to his efforts in strengthening love between the churches.

We pray for the peace and growth of God’s one and holy Church and for the protection of our the beloved nation Our Egypt.

https://www.facebook.com/CopticSP/posts/1395945367110264:0
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
Perhaps not the most important item, but a question about:

The committee has also assured that there has to be discrimination between the usual joint statements issued by Their Holinesses, the Heads of the churches in their ecumenical meetings and between the official agreements on belief, which have to be approved by the Holy Synods of their churches.⁠⁠⁠⁠

Is this in response to the thing about (maybe) accepting or recognizing RC baptisms?

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Perhaps not the most important item, but a question about:

Is this in response to the thing about (maybe) accepting or recognizing RC baptisms?

It would seem so.  I'm glad a distinction is being made, since the traditional reason behind re-baptizing converts from heterodox churches in the Coptic Church is the dictum of "one faith, one baptism" and many Copts are taking His Holiness' joint statement with the Pope of Rome to mean that we share one faith with the Catholics and are on the road to the reestablishment of full communion.  Whatever the position of the Church is going to be on this matter, it has to be stated with crystal clarity and all ambiguity must be removed for the sake of harmony the faithful.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
Decisions and recommendations of the Holy Synod in its session of June 2017
1. Considering 8 Amshir – 15 February of each year a day to commemorate modern age Coptic martyrs.

2. Creating a special department in the General Bishopric for Social Services to specialize in caring for the families of martyrs and confessors.

That's a great news.

4. Reconfirming the decision made before that no ritual books are to be printed without written approval of the Holy Synod or the rituals committee.
I'm surprised there is a need to reconfirm such thing. In the Polish Orthodox Church all the ritual books need the blessing of the local bishop; actually, some other Church books also have to be approved by the local bishop.

3. The Medical Committee
“Christian teaching announces clearly that any faithful person is defiled only by sin.

And that man is the temple for the Holy Spirit, which does not leave him except in the case of dying in sin. Thus, the woman is pure and a temple for the Holy Spirit in all days of her life.

But, due to piety and proper care for Holy Communion, and abiding by the traditions handed down to us, it is proper for man and woman to abstain from communion in periods of physical unpreparedness* except in special cases as decided by the spiritual priest for pastoral reasons.

We also assure that woman is not prohibited under all circumstances from performing all other spiritual practices including personal prayers, liturgy, reading the bible, service or being present in church.

That's the issue that needs to be explained, probably in all Orthodox Churches, so, glory to God, that the Coptic bishops have done it. I like the whole paragraph, but especially the the point I put in bold. I can say that's also my personal experience.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
I admit I glanced over this paragraph before with some disappointment, but I just realized that bolded sentence now, which looks promising.  This is the way in which the "Jerusalem restriction" also evolved, i.e. between yourself and your spiritual father.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.