OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:17:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Maria--the unknown saint? "Tale of A Nightingale"  (Read 693 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: September 14, 2005, 10:10:53 PM »

I have an english saint video with greek subtitles of a certain St. Maria who was a very beautiful young greek nun living in the 18th century in greece during the Muslim Occupation. Anyhow, one night her parents were deciding with her whom she should marry and the matchmaker woman came and offered them 7 choice young men for her to pick from....while they were making their decision they were reading to Gospel for guidance and they happened to be reading the passage where christ says "Behold I stand at the door and knock" A few moments later, they all heard a loud knock on the door yet no one was there but the chirping nightingale. This happened a second and a third time. Thus Maria took it as a sign from God that her groom should be Christ "the most beautiful one of all."

A while after she took her vows, the pasha stopped by the monastery and say Maria..he instantly fell in love with her beautiful eyes and lusted after her...he wanted to take her for himself...she refused so he theatened to burn down the monastery.

Maria then agreed to go with him but while she was "preparing to leave" she went to the church for a long time and prayed and gouged out her eyes and she presented them to the pasha. Basically he was so overwhelmed with her devotion that he asked the nuns to go in the church to pray to "her God" to heal her....the Theotokos icon became luminous and She spoke to Maria in the presence of all of them saying "Maria...you sacrficied everything for my Son and I. From now on you shall not be troubled with these temptations."

Its a wonderful story but does anyone know of any details about this particular saint? icons? biography? info? I've looked online and in bookstores but found null....maybe only ppl in the little horia (villages) in Greece know of her.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:02:25 AM »

All that we know of her is that her biography was told by St. Kosmas The Aitolan, and that she was his contemporary. It was the Ottoman era, and the lives of many Saints have been lost and are unknown. Occassionally, God allows some of their lives to come to light (such as Sts. Raphael, Nicholas and Irene of Lesvos, and St Ephrem of Nea Makri).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: