Author Topic: eastern voicing support of the pope  (Read 572 times)

Offline n8nrgmi

eastern voicing support of the pope
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »

i concluded with the first few centuries, that the orthodox position made most sense. that is, the controversies with popes victor, stephan, and comments with Iranaeous and augustine. there was a certainly plausibility for the roman position, but on balance i went with orthodoxy on closer inspection. when it came to augustine reverting to councils and never saying much of rome the way rome spins things, the silence is defeanening.

does anyone have any words of wisdom about this quote?
"Flavian Patriarch of Constantinople to Pope Leo, AD 449   "The whole question needs only your single decision and all will be settled in peace and quietness. Your sacred letter will with God's help completely suppress th heresy which has arisen and the disturbance which it has caused; and so the convening of a council which is in any case difficult will be rendered superfluous."

one thing i can say is that this is four hundred and fifty years after jesus. too long to be too serious a foundation. but we still see a big figure from the east trying to get the pope's ideas regardless of a council. it's still possible he viewed a council as the highest authority, but it's not exactly clear.

does anyone know off hand if there are any other quotes that pull the thread on orthodox claims like this could be said?

i still say it's too weak to unravel all the other conclusions ive come to.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: eastern voicing support of the pope
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
St. Leo the Great was, whether one likes him or not, an irreplaceable part of the Chalcedonian Controversy, which had lots to do with his power as Pope of Rome, but nothing with some supposed predestination of the Roman See to infalibility. Power is a normal way to have doctrines prevail, historically. Many emperors, as well as bishops of other sees, occasionally did this job in lieu of the Pope.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »
St. Leo the Great was, whether one likes him or not, an irreplaceable part of the Chalcedonian Controversy, which had lots to do with his power as Pope of Rome, but nothing with some supposed predestination of the Roman See to infalibility. Power is a normal way to have doctrines prevail, historically. Many emperors, as well as bishops of other sees, occasionally did this job in lieu of the Pope.

But could one also make the argument that the Papal Supremacy undertones surrounding Chalcedon are therefore a possible reason to just reject it and become OO?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
But could one also make the argument that the Papal Supremacy undertones surrounding Chalcedon are therefore a possible reason to just reject it and become OO?
One could.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:03:41 PM »
I personally think the 5th Ecumenical Council excommunicating the Pope is a much bigger reason to reject Roman Catholicism than subtle undertones in Chalcedon to reject Eastern Orthodoxy.
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:30:08 PM »
I personally think the 5th Ecumenical Council excommunicating the Pope is a much bigger reason to reject Roman Catholicism than subtle undertones in Chalcedon to reject Eastern Orthodoxy.

Agreed.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.