Author Topic: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter  (Read 12671 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2019, 04:35:18 AM »
And in general wizards and warlocks and witches are depicted as evil or fraudulent, in L. Frank Baum, for example; the classic film adaptation of the Wizard of Oz manages to depict them as both, in that you have diabolical, yet incompetent, witches, and a fraudulent wizard who is actually an illusionist using smoke and mirrors and a giant projection system.

That's Glinda erasure, and I won't stand for it.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
And in general wizards and warlocks and witches are depicted as evil or fraudulent, in L. Frank Baum, for example; the classic film adaptation of the Wizard of Oz manages to depict them as both, in that you have diabolical, yet incompetent, witches, and a fraudulent wizard who is actually an illusionist using smoke and mirrors and a giant projection system.

ROFL!  You got me Arachne; I forgot about her.  How, I can’t imagine.  Although she falls into the category of a fairy godmother type ala Sleeping Beauty, but she is indeed referred to as a witch.  By the way, we have the Wicked Witch of the East, who was flatened, the Wicked Witch of the West, who was Meeeellllllllllttttteeeeeeedddddddddd (there is a lovely interview with that actress by Rev. Fred Rogers on an episode of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood), the Good Witch of the North, who I forgot about entirely (I remembered the ruby slippers but not how they were obtained), so who lives in the South?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:06:15 PM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »

ROFL!  You got me Arachne; I forgot about her.  How, I can’t imagine.  Although she falls into the category of a fairy godmother type ala Sleeping Beauty, but she is indeed referred to as a witch.

And this is another glorious instance of the infantilisation of fairy tales: only evil magical women are witches - nice magical women have to be fairies. Heh, in traditional folklore, fairies are terrifying; amoral at best, actively malevolent at worst. Calling them Fair Folk is the western equivalent of calling the Furies the Kindly Ones in an attempt to deflect their wrath.

In folk tales of the British Isles, with which Rowling is likely to have been familiar growing up, witches (and wizards) are people with knowledge that the common folk don't have, and they can use that knowledge to help or harm the common folk, depending on their character and the circumstances. They are often seen doing both; after all, a witch who cannot hex cannot heal. 8)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
Of the Oz films I much prefer Return to Oz.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline CooperDog

• Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

ROFL!  You got me Arachne; I forgot about her.  How, I can’t imagine.  Although she falls into the category of a fairy godmother type ala Sleeping Beauty, but she is indeed referred to as a witch.

And this is another glorious instance of the infantilisation of fairy tales: only evil magical women are witches - nice magical women have to be fairies. Heh, in traditional folklore, fairies are terrifying; amoral at best, actively malevolent at worst. Calling them Fair Folk is the western equivalent of calling the Furies the Kindly Ones in an attempt to deflect their wrath.

In folk tales of the British Isles, with which Rowling is likely to have been familiar growing up, witches (and wizards) are people with knowledge that the common folk don't have, and they can use that knowledge to help or harm the common folk, depending on their character and the circumstances. They are often seen doing both; after all, a witch who cannot hex cannot heal. 8)

Good points.

In Ameirca witch craft has been characterized exactly opposite, satanic instead of gnostic or esoteric knowledge. And in typical American fashion, we only see things through our eyes and not the eyes of the creator.
Harry potter is just another in a long line of Good vs Evil stories.
People will take anything ans try to bend it to their beliefs.
I love you.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
  • I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
  • Faith: Lost
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »
Of the Oz films I much prefer Return to Oz.

Yep.
"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »

Good points.

In Ameirca witch craft has been characterized exactly opposite, satanic instead of gnostic or esoteric knowledge. And in typical American fashion, we only see things through our eyes and not the eyes of the creator.

You'll probably like this piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/why-the-british-tell-better-childrens-stories/422859/

Online Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2019, 12:59:07 AM »
Yeh, I think there be nothing evil or against God in Harry Potter ~ clearly a struggle between Good and Evil ```

The Bible is full of Magic ~ magic done with the the help of evil is bad ~ Magic done by and through the Lord is Good ~ wouldn't you say ```
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:10:53 AM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
Yeh, I think there be nothing evil or against God in Harry Potter ~ clearly a struggle between Good and Evil ```

The Bible is full of Magic ~ magic done with the the help of evil is bad ~ Magic done by and through the Lord is Good ~ wouldn't you say ```

Id say so.
I love you.

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »

Good points.

You'll probably like this piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/why-the-british-tell-better-childrens-stories/422859/

That is a good article. To sum it up in one sentence, Americans tell stories with moral social issues, while the brits tell stories in a fantasy folklore way.

Personally i love the first 3 star wars more than potter, or lotr. Theres notning like space. But i grew up back then, so maybe im a little biased.
I love you.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »

Is Jesus a magician?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »

Good points.

That is a good article. To sum it up in one sentence, Americans tell stories with moral social issues, while the brits tell stories in a fantasy folklore way.

Personally i love the first 3 star wars more than potter, or lotr. Theres notning like space. But i grew up back then, so maybe im a little biased.

If Star Wars isn't a fairytale, I don't know what is. 'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away' is literally 'Once upon a time'.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2019, 02:35:25 PM »
I still giggle every time a notification from this thread pops up.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2019, 08:47:30 PM »

Good points.

If Star Wars isn't a fairytale, I don't know what is. 'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away' is literally 'Once upon a time'.

Didnt say it was. Just that i prefer it more.

But, maybe it did happen in a galaxy fat far away, and george lucas is an alien spreading his peoples stories?  LoL
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:48:51 PM by CooperDog »
I love you.

Online Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2019, 12:55:39 AM »
Yep, the first Star Wars were good ~ the on and on sequels never seem to work ~ unless we suspend disbelief and make them work without question ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Online Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
The Holy Bible is full of magic, divination, dreams, spells, foretelling the future, even speaking to those no longer living on earth ~ what is considered witchcraft is only forbidden and evil when done with or by the help of shetan ~ all things done with God and by God are Good ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:03 PM »
That's not how things work.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2019, 08:17:29 PM »
Sethrak, are you insinuating that Harry Potter has God-like powers?

Online Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2019, 12:48:48 AM »
No~ I am Not ~ don't tell me what I think ~ I can speak for myself ~ Harry Potter is a made up nobody in a book, a movie ~ I think it is not a book or movie that is against Our God ~ that magic and raising the dead and all else is in the Holy Bible ~ that things of magic done by God are Good ~ magic or anything done by the devil is evil ~ wait a minute ~ let me not get upfenset ~ all you were doing is misquoting me and my thinking ~ Excuse me Eamonomae ~ but ~ Speak for yourself ~ thank youse ```

seth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
Every rational creature has God-like powers.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow,Russia.
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
Magic of Speaking God's Words into Creation
The first five books of the To-Rah.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
Is Jesus a magician?

Was the Lord's arrival announced by mages/magi(cians) using astrology?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:41:37 AM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
No~ I am Not ~ don't tell me what I think ~ I can speak for myself ~ Harry Potter is a made up nobody in a book, a movie ~ I think it is not a book or movie that is against Our God ~ that magic and raising the dead and all else is in the Holy Bible ~ that things of magic done by God are Good ~ magic or anything done by the devil is evil ~ wait a minute ~ let me not get upfenset ~ all you were doing is misquoting me and my thinking ~ Excuse me Eamonomae ~ but ~ Speak for yourself ~ thank youse ```

I'm not trying to "upfenset" you. But there's a very clear distinction between the capabilities of the devils and the capabilities of God, and the human interactions thereof.

The demons' capabilities are pretty limited and can only do so much. They have the intent to cause harm and destruction, mostly spiritually, but also socially and individually. When asking for demonic guidance, the goal is an immediate, certain benefit. The kind of communication between the demons and people is more one to one, negotiating and bargaining. Very specific rituals are used for magic and demons, involving a combination of many different things, including astrological timing, sinful acts, pagan and demonic invocation/worship, certain ritualistic requirements to be met, certain tools to be used in the aforementioned, etc.

God's capabilities are infinite, as God is omnipotent. The purpose is the salvation of our souls, but also for the functioning of human society and our individual well being. There is no guarantee of an immediate benefit when asking God or His Saints; rather, it's an act of Trust and Love that they will do what's best for the salvation of your soul, and the salvation of others. There is (or should be) no negotiating or bargaining for immediate benefits. To ask God, one simply needs prayer and the Liturgy.

There's clearly a difference between magic, which shares the qualities of the first category, and miracles / Divine Power / Grace, which share the qualities of the second category.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:15:51 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

That was for the purposes of showing that Christ came to both Jews and Gentiles. Far from a ringing endorsement of astrology.

Should we begin worshipping pagan gods when St. Paul saw the Gentiles worshipping the unknown God?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:18:13 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »

Gotta love the equivocation game.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »

Gotta love the equivocation game.

Actually it's the univocation game.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

That was for the purposes of showing that Christ came to both Jews and Gentiles. Far from a ringing endorsement of astrology.

Should we begin worshipping pagan gods when St. Paul saw the Gentiles worshipping the unknown God?

You must be a peach at coffee hour.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:29 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

You must be a peach at coffee hour.

Do not speak this way to me, accursed infidel!

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

Did Saul contact Samuel through a witch?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
What has my thread become?   :'(

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »
What has my thread become?   :'(

Jesus magic.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
This thread reminds me of when I went to a barbecue in a mental health clinic.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »

Good points.

Indeed so.  It even has magic via the force.  It is a Space Opera, to be sure, but one which leans towards what some people call “Science Fantasy.”  On that note, Arthur C. Clarke famously said any sufficiently advanced technology should be indistinguishable from magic, and the greatest living critic of science fiction and fantasy after the tragic death of his collaborator Peter Norman, that being the Canadian critic John Clute, has, in frustration with the grey area betwixt fantasy and science fiction, advocated the use of “Fantastika” to refer to the two genres in a unified sense, as a meta-genre.

This works because in many of the best cases, it can be really hard to tell the two apart.  Edmond Hamilton, Leigh Brackett and EE “Doc” Smith are obvious examples, the Space Trilogy of CS Lewis even more so, but people forget that even allegedly “hard sci fi” authors like Robert A. Heinlein, wrote, in addition to very technical stories such as The Roads Must Roll or The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, flamboyant space operas like Citizen of the Galaxy and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, fantastic fiction about Mars, such as Stranger in a Strange Land, and straight-up fantasy ranging from “And he built a crooked house” to Waldo, Magic Inc., Job, a Comedy of Justice, and The Number of the Beast, to name just a few.

And conversely, in writers like HP Lovecraft, whose works of supernatural horror are obvious fantasy, there is also a persistant science fiction element as well.

For that matter, Dune, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and, by its own admission in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, that series, all are fantasies as much as they are works of science fiction.  Science fiction which is devoid of a fantastic element tends to be dry and boring; the only author who accomplished it was Heinlein, and he was quite gifted (The Roads Must Roll is literally a story about a network of escalators and moving sidewalks, but it is also thrilling; how does one make escalators and moving walkways exciting?  That in itself comes across as magical, almost).

I have to confess Arachne I greatly admire your appreciation for the genre of fantastic literature.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »

Indeed so.  Although I would propose that what you are referring to could actually be considered a legitimate stylistic difference between American fantasy and European folk stories of the Brothers Grimm variety, which are very dark indeed.  Older American fantasy on the other hand tends to be light and frilly.

Now, I prefer the older European stories, but only some of them, and mainly, Romantic era syntheses thereof.  For example, the Ring cycle of Richard Wagner, which is much more exciting than the Niebelungenlied and the Nordic mythology it was adapted from. 

Out of curiosity, have you ever visited any of the palaces of King Ludwig II?  Schloss Neuschwanstein is fantastic, but sadly incomplete, and also overcrowded; the best part for me are the views between Neuschwanstein and the nearby castle of Hohenschwangau, which rises out of a lower peak in the beautiful Bavarian forest.  However, Schloss Linderhof is absolutely fantastic; it is the only palace King Ludwig II completed, and it is in the most charming town of Oberamgau, and there is a lovely hotel there with a splendid restaurant.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.