Author Topic: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter  (Read 12605 times)

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Re: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »
Sexual tension ~ I guess I missed that ~ and Dobby's nose ~ Spider, you saw sexual something with Dobby's nose ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
Sexual tension ~ I guess I missed that ~ and Dobby's nose ~ Spider, you saw sexual something with Dobby's nose ```

Sorry, I don't read gibberish.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
Not a problem ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
There are sexual themes in Harry Potter?

Sexual tension is noticeable to children

What sexual tension are we talking about? Romeo and Juliet? The Bible? It seems strange to have a blanket ban on it.

Why act like it wasnt geared towards adolescents, and how does Hollywood relate to people at that age?
Dont act like there wasnt sexual tension.

I never said it needs to be banned did I?

Adolescents are familiar with sexual tension in their lives, why is it problematic when it's fictional adolescents in books? We're talking about the source material here, not the movies.

By the way, here's an interesting little piece about how the significance of the kissing scenes in the books can shift in the movies.

I forgot what you push here for a minute. Im not surprised to see you arguing sexual situations are ok fo kids.
Whats next?

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
Not a problem ```

I understood you sethrak
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:54:27 PM by Rubricnigel »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
Kids may notice sexual tension, but they'll read it otherwise because they experience analogous situations.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2019, 04:51:46 AM »
By the way, here's an interesting little piece about how the significance of the kissing scenes in the books can shift in the movies.

That's a very good analysis. The kisses in Harry Potter are not sex ephasis, but of characters and circumstances.
Plus, there are no detail descriptions, that you can see in many, many books for adolscents.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2019, 05:51:18 AM »
There was a time when reading was viewed as a vapid and morally unproductive activity, similar to how we view television today. Reading for its own sake is not necessarily a virtue. What matters is what we read, why we read, and how we read. Nothing wrong with reading for entertainment and pleasure, but in doing so we must be spiritually cautious. I have ranted against Harry Potter on this forum, probably unnecessarily so. I haven't read the books and don't plan to. Most people here are probably spiritually mature enough and discerning enough to read the books without being negatively influenced by them. My concern is with children who have no sound spiritual and parental guidance to enable them to read these books for fun without being corrupted by the unorthodox ideas contained within. I think we are very naïve if we think that anything and everything that's intended "just for fun" is spiritually and morally innocuous. Just my two cents on it.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:56 PM »
There was a time when reading was viewed as a vapid and morally unproductive activity, similar to how we view television today. Reading for its own sake is not necessarily a virtue. What matters is what we read, why we read, and how we read. Nothing wrong with reading for entertainment and pleasure, but in doing so we must be spiritually cautious. I have ranted against Harry Potter on this forum, probably unnecessarily so. I haven't read the books and don't plan to. Most people here are probably spiritually mature enough and discerning enough to read the books without being negatively influenced by them. My concern is with children who have no sound spiritual and parental guidance to enable them to read these books for fun without being corrupted by the unorthodox ideas contained within. I think we are very naïve if we think that anything and everything that's intended "just for fun" is spiritually and morally innocuous. Just my two cents on it.

Selam

I agree.
Often we forget how impressionable children are, violent video games, sexual situations, adult themes, demonic or outright satanic elements are everywhere.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
We view television as vapid and unproductive?

Ms. Rowling is an Anglican. My grandmother, may she rest in peace, said the books' only message was, use your imagination.

Spells don't exist. The books couldn't hurt a kid if they wanted to.

As the old saying goes, no good girl was ever ruined by a book.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
We view television as vapid and unproductive?

Ms. Rowling is an Anglican. My grandmother, may she rest in peace, said the books' only message was, use your imagination.

Spells don't exist. The books couldn't hurt a kid if they wanted to.

As the old saying goes, no good girl was ever ruined by a book.

I think they're using "gateway drug" logic. That the fake spells in Harry Potter will lead kids to investigate actual Wicca.

And tbf it's not impossible for that to happen, but I just don't know why they don't expand the argument to all kinds of classical things that we give a pass to for kids (Shakespeare, for example). Heck, there was a time when school children read Homer and Plato but people don't seem to have expected that to lead to experimenting with homosexuality and Zeus-worship.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
Spells don't exist.

I realize you are probably eager to defend something you enjoy, but I wish you wouldn’t go overboard as you often tend to do.

Spells, and all manner of other diabolical things, exist and the demons are only too happy to be invited thereby to wreak havoc on people’s lives.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
Spells don't exist.

I realize you are probably eager to defend something you enjoy, but I wish you wouldn’t go overboard as you often tend to do.

Spells, and all manner of other diabolical things, exist and the demons are only too happy to be invited thereby to wreak havoc on people’s lives.

Is one believes in God, one most believe in the Devil as well.

Most people refuse  to acknowledge that evil reigns

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2019, 09:13:49 PM »
The pagan community in general doesn't credit Harry Potter for swelling their ranks. Some have read it, some haven't. Some enjoyed it, some didn't. A lot find its themes too Christian, and the reactions from churches and parents rather amusing.

Ultimately, what the series influenced mostly was kids' reading habits, by getting tweens into 800-page books. :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:33 PM »
Today Harry Potter, tomorrow War and Peace  ;)
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
  • I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
  • Faith: Lost
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2019, 01:20:58 AM »
The pagan community in general doesn't credit Harry Potter for swelling their ranks. Some have read it, some haven't. Some enjoyed it, some didn't. A lot find its themes too Christian, and the reactions from churches and parents rather amusing.

Proof? How would you know?

I mean, having studied the Caucasus Emitrate, it was clear from looking at archives of their propaganda site that they were boasting of the fact that the Quran inspired young Chechens to take up Jihad. It doesn't mean that the majority of those who read the Quran will become Islamic Jihadists, but it's a massive claim to say that the Caucasus Emirate doesn't boast of using the Quran to draw up militant fighters.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:21:26 AM by Eamonomae »
"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2019, 02:44:20 AM »

Proof? How would you know?

I mean, having studied the Caucasus Emitrate, it was clear from looking at archives of their propaganda site that they were boasting of the fact that the Quran inspired young Chechens to take up Jihad. It doesn't mean that the majority of those who read the Quran will become Islamic Jihadists, but it's a massive claim to say that the Caucasus Emirate doesn't boast of using the Quran to draw up militant fighters.

That's... a strange comparison to draw for a number of reasons. I'm not sure the logic holds.

Anyway, Arachne knows a lot of Neopagans and Wiccans. I trust her reasonably well to know something about what they think.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
That's... a strange comparison to draw for a number of reasons. I'm not sure the logic holds.

Could you elaborate?

Anyway, Arachne knows a lot of Neopagans and Wiccans. I trust her reasonably well to know something about what they think.

If she is knowledgeable, then she can give evidence.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »

Could you elaborate?

If she is knowledgeable, then she can give evidence.

I already have: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52597.msg972669.html#msg972669

Here's also something more recent: https://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1345

But if you expect me to somehow display two decades' worth of interactions with pagans to your satisfaction, lol, not happening. Don't take my word for anything, go do your own research. Go out and find yourself a single pagan who became so because of Harry Potter.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
Thank you. I appreciate that you responded.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:49:03 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2019, 03:52:06 PM »

Could you elaborate?

Well, like you said the Caucasus Emirate is a single group with a searchable archive. It's a pretty easy claim to confirm or not. Whereas with pagans it would be proving a negative to say that nobody anywhere ever became pagan because of Harry Potter. All you can do is say whether it's likely or not given general trends, and it doesn't seem like it.

Plus, joining a single specific terrorist organization seems like a more binary action than looking into paganism, but I could be wrong.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2019, 07:45:13 PM »
The Rapture doesn't exist, so I guess one could argue that therefore reading the "Left Behind" series is spiritually innocuous. However, I would argue that those books are indeed spiritually detrimental to many who read them.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Tannhouser

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Inquirer
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
I always found it odd where the Narnia series was held so highly, especially as an allegory to the Christian life. Even when we read non-believers entering Narnia heaven.

Yet HP series is clearly a work of fiction, but deemed rotten to read.

I get it. Young minds are malleable, and we should be watchful for any foothold.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
Go out and find yourself a single pagan who became so because of Harry Potter.

The pagans I've known have laughed at the suggestion, including one who is being baptized into Thelema. Nothing in HP resembles the ritual in Crowley's magick, in Wicca, in Norse paganism or anything from the East.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »

The pagans I've known have laughed at the suggestion, including one who is being baptized into Thelema. Nothing in HP resembles the ritual in Crowley's magick, in Wicca, in Norse paganism or anything from the East.

That's what my own pagan acquaintances have said as well, for years, but who's listening? Some of them even grumble that the underlying message is too Christian for their liking (not that they bar their kids from reading it, regardless).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:40:59 AM by Arachne »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

That's what my own pagan acquaintances have said as well, for years, but who's listening? Some of them even grumble that the underlying message is too Christian for their liking (not that they bar their kids from reading it, regardless).
:laugh: Poor Harry can’t get a break.

Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Katechon

• Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
Harry Potter is garbage literature used to initiate people into the occult.
With my generation growing up with this and for example Yu-Gi-Oh (you know, the card game back in the day where you conjure demonic entities and in whose TV adaption people got banned into hell by losing a match etc) it rather succeeded in this.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »
With my generation growing up with this and for example Yu-Gi-Oh (you know, the card game back in the day where you conjure demonic entities and in whose TV adaption people got banned into hell by losing a match etc) it rather succeeded in this.

How many people do you know that got into occult practices by the influence of Harry Potter and Yugioh?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Katechon

• Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »

How many people do you know that got into occult practices by the influence of Harry Potter and Yugioh?

Well, that is only the next step. But do you know Wicca? And do you know the gnostic-satanic Goa techno culture spreading throughout Europe?
These are further initiatory experiences.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2019, 02:14:16 PM »
But do you know Wicca?

Yes. So?

And do you know the gnostic-satanic Goa techno culture spreading throughout Europe?

No. Please enlighten us.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2019, 02:57:47 PM »
<>

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2019, 03:14:32 PM »
But do you know Wicca?

Yes. So?

And do you know the gnostic-satanic Goa techno culture spreading throughout Europe?

No. Please enlighten us.

+1
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »

I used to think the same way until I sat down and read the first book.  After reading all 7 books, I concluded that Harry Potter is more James Bond and King Arthur than the occult.  It's not a sin to have an imagination, as long as it isn't lust.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
https://fcm.org/should-a-christian-do-magic/

view of magic and the Bible ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
https://fcm.org/should-a-christian-do-magic/

view of magic and the Bible ```

I don't think reading Harry Potter is "doing magic" in any sense of the word.  I haven't read the books because it's not a genre that interests me, but I have no spiritual qualms reading fiction.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:17 PM »
We've read them all ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2019, 10:47:34 PM »
We've read them all ```

Are you a family of ~~~Armenian~~~ witches now?

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
We've read them all ```

I personally am made of wood and weigh as much as a duck. Does that make me a witch?

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
We've read them all ```

I personally am made of wood and weigh as much as a duck. Does that make me a witch?

It definitely makes you good kindling. 8)

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
Hi hecma, no but I've made wands ~ nice ones, I have a couple under the laptop holding it above the table for better air flow ~ the Harry Potter movies were fun, enjoyed them ~ I watched the first one the other night ~ the whole thing is a battle between good and evil ~ with a little junk thrown in ~ the girl who wrote it wove much into the plot ~ she did well ```

Much can be done with the Lord that would be considered: "Witchcraft" by some ~ most things thought wrong and sinful if done with and by God ~ including speaking to those who have died ~ Saints or your parents when praying ```

Offline CooperDog

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Hi hecma, no but I've made wands ~ nice ones, I have a couple under the laptop holding it above the table for better air flow ~ the Harry Potter movies were fun, enjoyed them ~ I watched the first one the other night ~ the whole thing is a battle between good and evil ~ with a little junk thrown in ~ the girl who wrote it wove much into the plot ~ she did well ```

Much can be done with the Lord that would be considered: "Witchcraft" by some ~ most things thought wrong and sinful if done with and by God ~ including speaking to those who have died ~ Saints or your parents when praying ```

Ive seen analysis where they feew parallels between Potter and Jesus.

I love you.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2019, 12:01:22 AM »
Spells don't exist.

Indeed so.  This is my main criticism of Harry Potter on a moral level compared to other fantasy, for example the works of CS Lewis, is that in general I dislike fantasy in which a witch, wizard or warlock who casts spells, with a wand or otherwise, is depicted in a positive light.  This is particularly the case with juvenile novels.  They invite dangerous youthful explorations of the occult; the child who gets a rush from Harry Potter and desires the ability to have magical powers (in the sense of casting spells, vs. illusioneering, which in contrast I think is a healthy performing art talent for children to engage in), is just a Google search away from texts describing dangerous occult practices.

Nor is JK Rowlings a model of Christian piety.  There are other much better works of fantasy much more suitable for Christian youth.  Harry Potter might be suitable for adults and older teenagers with a correct moral disposition, but even then, there is better literary material, and there are better films.  For example, all of the great animated features produced by Walt Disney before his premature repose, and a few of those produced by his successors, particularly during the early years of the Eisner era.

In the past I have joked about having a domestic church with full services from the horologion, assigning the children to the different liturgical functions; obviously I would not actually do that (except perhaps on one occasion if there was enthusiasm among boys for serving in the altar, that they might safely learn how to do things), but I am entirely serious when I say I would caution against the premature reading of Harry Potter and encourage the reading of other, older, better entertainment.

When it comes to children, I think that they should be baptised and raised in the Orthodox faith, encouraged to pursue their natural interests, rewarded for academic, intellectual, athletic and creative accomplishments proportionate to their properly assesed individual ability, not be subjected to corporal punishment, not be burdened with homework but instead complete at school their school work, not be pent up but rather welcomed and encouraged to play outdoors on beautiful days in the spring and summer, well nourished, properly and safely exercised, ensured interaction with peers and playmates, innoculated against diseases, taught decent manners, given the fullest parental love without passive aggression or emotional manipulation, not be granted a tablet device prematurely, nor be given other things potentially harmful, for example, Harry Potter books or certain forms of countercultural music.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2019, 12:16:46 AM »
Why not rail against the talking animals or mythical creatures in C.S. Lewis and Disney productions, which could lead innocent kids to read about pagan and other mythologies and thereby become ensnared in diabolical beliefs? And for that matter I think it putting it kindly to say that the storytelling of the Chronicles of Narnia is lackluster and uneven (I just re-trudged through them this summer)  Could it be that C.S. Lewis and Walt Disney just happen to be people whose work you like? Don't we all recommend things in that way? ;)
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2019, 02:29:25 AM »
Why not rail against the talking animals or mythical creatures in C.S. Lewis and Disney productions, which could lead innocent kids to read about pagan and other mythologies and thereby become ensnared in diabolical beliefs? And for that matter I think it putting it kindly to say that the storytelling of the Chronicles of Narnia is lackluster and uneven (I just re-trudged through them this summer)  Could it be that C.S. Lewis and Walt Disney just happen to be people whose work you like? Don't we all recommend things in that way? ;)

Going through actual folk tales, from any culture, would leave the Disney fan crew traumatised. 8)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2019, 03:51:25 AM »

No, because only a few of the Disney animated films I enjoy, and as far as CS Lewis is concerned, while I like his Space Trilogy, particularly Perelandra and the dystopian conclusion That Hideous Strength, with its vivid and charming description of the beautiful, tiny Bracton University located in what it emerges is the actual Heart of England, an adjacent walled-off wood, in the town of Edgestowe, which alas gets vaporized, I have always since my youth found the Chronicles of Narnia to be remarkably dull.  Only the very first few pages dealing with the wardrobe and the mysterious lamppost were interesting; once the children reach the other side, we find ourselves in Oz sans a tornado.  In fact, less than Oz, since Emerald City is my kind of town (aside from the poisonous sleep-inducing poppy fields; if I were appointed Lord Mayor I would seek Western subsidies in return for burning them, and use the money to replace the multicolored horse-drawn streetcars with a modern rapid transit system, and develop suburbs in the former poppy fields).

And in general, the alternative concern you raise is also negated by Arachne, in that the Disney films are quite a bit brightened up compared to the fairy tales they are based on.  The Brothers Grimm, the various Nordic sagas, the Thousand and One Nights, and so on, are both substantially frightening and sufficiently long, in some cases dramatically so, as to keep away younger and more naive children.  And in general wizards and warlocks and witches are depicted as evil or fraudulent, in L. Frank Baum, for example; the classic film adaptation of the Wizard of Oz manages to depict them as both, in that you have diabolical, yet incompetent, witches, and a fraudulent wizard who is actually an illusionist using smoke and mirrors and a giant projection system.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.