Author Topic: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter  (Read 1268 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
I recently finished reading the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and I would like to retract all the bad things I ever said about Harry Potter.  If I offended anyone, I ask for forgiveness.

A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series.  Regardless, I enjoyed reading the first book, like reading Bewitched.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
Hey Sol! Haven't seen you in awhile. Good to see you; hope you are doing well.  :)
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:07:05 PM »
A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series.

That, of course, is your choice, but - beyond the glasses - Tim Hunter and Harry Potter can be worlds apart. You'd be missing out. :)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
+1

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »
I recently finished reading the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and I would like to retract all the bad things I ever said about Harry Potter.  If I offended anyone, I ask for forgiveness.

A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series.  Regardless, I enjoyed reading the first book, like reading Bewitched.

You shouldn't. Harry Potter is trash.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »

A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series. 

Huh?
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »

I enjoyed the series myself.  Read all the books during the summer of 2010.  Order of the Phoenix (book 5) was particularly difficult to get through (Dolores Umbridge was a true witch) but I agree with Arachne you should really read the entire series. 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »
Hey Sol! Haven't seen you in awhile. Good to see you; hope you are doing well.  :)

I am doing well.  Thanks for asking.

That, of course, is your choice, but - beyond the glasses - Tim Hunter and Harry Potter can be worlds apart. You'd be missing out. :)

I wanted to repudiate my own stereotypes of Harry Potter.  I accomplished that goal.   :)

Why do you say that?  Have you read any book in the series?

Huh?

See reply to Arachne.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
Years ago I saw a book in an Orthodox store connecting RocknRoll to Satanism. It was humorous enough for me that I bought the book. I think some conservative Orthodox can overreact to things. I had fun with Halloween as a child too.

That said, if one is deep in Orthodox spirituality, one can have a natural tendency or desire to avoid engaging in materials like Harry Potter. An easy reason is because the Torah bans the sorcery arts. Exodus 18 runs:

9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

13 Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.

The more one gets into criticising the Harry Potter series from a true, deep, godly Orthodox perspective, one can see how Orthodoxy, Christianity, belief in God and His light are like a candle against a black background compared to it.

In 2002, the Greek Orthodox Church authorities in Thrace released a statement denouncing the Harry Potter books as Satanic, saying that they "acquaint people with evil, wizardry, the occult and demonology." The statement also criticised the purported similarities between Harry Potter and Jesus Christ, saying, "It is beyond doubt that Harry was made to resemble a young savior. Upon his birth people try to kill him, he is forever subjected to injustice but always supernaturally manages to prevail and save others. Let us reflect, who else … is held to be the unjustly treated God?"[11]

In June 2004, soon after a native Bulgarian, Stanislav Ianevski, had been cast to portray the character Viktor Krum in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the Bulgarian Orthodox Church printed a front-page article in their official newspaper, claiming that "magic is not a children's game," and that the holy Synod had advised that a church in Sofia hold special liturgies every Thursday to cure those afflicted by spells or possessed by evil spirits. Pamphlets were posted throughout the city, claiming that reciting a Harry Potter spell "is as if you are praying to evil", and that "God hates magic."

Clive Leviev-Sawyer (2004). "Bulgarian church warns against the spell of Harry Potter". Ecumenica News International. Retrieved 2007-06-15.

"Church: Harry Potter film a font of evil". Kathimerini. 2003. Archived from the original on 4 March 2003
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_debates_over_the_Harry_Potter_series#cite_note-bulgaria-10

Anastasia Verina writes on the Pravoslavie website that we should not expect much spiritually from the Harry Potter series:
What do we want from the regular pagan Mrs. Rowling, which decided to earn money? That she praised the miracles of the Lord? ....

old fairy tales were written by Christians or people in general, whereas a modern neopagan legend doesn't have much to teach Christian children.
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/5740.html

The “Sorcerer's Stone" is also called the "Philosopher's Stone", and is purely Cabbalistic in nature.  Rosicrucianism as an example, teaches that an Initiate will pass through five stages to become the highest Adept possible, to be most proficient in exercising the power of Satanism.  They call this process the "Five Stages In The Transmutation of the Soul.”  The final stage is depicted by the Phoenix Bird; the Adept is then said to have achieved the "Sorcerer's Stone."  Thus, the fact that the term "Sorcerer's Stone" is the main title of the fifth book in this series, (and now a highly acclaimed movie) suggests that the ultimate goal of all students at Hogwarts is to achieve the holy Grail of the Sorcerer's Stone.
 It’s also very interesting that Rowling has made the creator of the Sorcerer's Stone 666 years old?  As we have seen many times in this study, 666 is synonymous with antichrist and his Mark.  [Revelation 13:18]
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Hellivision/harry_potter_is_evil.htm

Harry Potter...
Real Names and Real Witches

Nicholas Flamel, a real historic sorcerer, plays a key role in the book. Referring to the trading card of Albus Dumbledore, we read:
    "Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindlewald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's  blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel'!
Towards the end of the book, we are presented with the promotion of suicide as an honorable way of helping others. Flamel and his real wife Perenelle have killed themselves to hide the secret of the Philosopher's Stone, with Flamel being the significant age of 666 years. ... Occult encyclopedias state that legend teaches that Flamel and his wife faked their deaths and are still living. Which, would be why Rowlings showed Flamel alive and well working with Dumbledore, also a sorcerer.
The Basilisk, a giant creature with snake-like features and in the Chamber of Secrets, was presented as coming from the Slytherin statue, which came alive when Voldemort/Riddle spoke to it in snake language. If it looked in Harry's eye, he would die. Basilisk is another name for the Philosopher's Stone. [Names >http://www.levity.com/alchemy/gratacol.html] Meaning, that the symbol of Satan--a serpent, offers immortality or the Elixir of life.
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/harry_potter-real_names.htm
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

I wanted to repudiate my own stereotypes of Harry Potter.  I accomplished that goal.   :)

Huh?

See reply to Arachne.

Character X develops similarly to character Y, so I won't read the rest... that's a non sequitur, matey.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »

Huh?

See reply to Arachne.

Character X develops similarly to character Y, so I won't read the rest... that's a non sequitur, matey.

It's analogy, a basis of logic.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
I'm not a big fan of fiction, but in order to get my sister to read my brand of non-fiction, I am reading the Harry Potter series, and I admit, I'm enjoying them as well.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »
I wonder which series was bigger as gateway books that turned non-readers into readers: Lord of the Rings, Narnia, or Harry Potter. Anyone know of polls or whatever that explores that kind of thing?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
If you make that The Hobbit, it might be a little fairer. Or maybe that what you meant.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
I've only just read the first Harry Potter book and part of the second. I like them.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
If you make that The Hobbit, it might be a little fairer. Or maybe that what you meant.

Yeah, I meant it to be included, so I should have mentioned it. I know Harry Potter has been wildly popular, but then The Hobbit and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe have been both popular and also common school texts for decades now (in the U.S. at least).

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

Yeah, I meant it to be included, so I should have mentioned it. I know Harry Potter has been wildly popular, but then The Hobbit and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe have been both popular and also common school texts for decades now (in the U.S. at least).

I've read The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series and I preferred the Harry Potter series.   :laugh:

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
^My sister said the same, only she gave up after the Hobbit, and didn't bother with the Lord of the Rings (Stephen Colbert would probably read this and be so irate)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 09:12:42 PM »
I wonder which series was bigger as gateway books that turned non-readers into readers: Lord of the Rings, Narnia, or Harry Potter. Anyone know of polls or whatever that explores that kind of thing?

Harry Potter. Kids in the '50s already read a lot, without TV and videogame distractions.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »

Harry Potter. Kids in the '50s already read a lot, without TV and videogame distractions.

What about kids in the 80s and 90s?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:19:33 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »

What about kids in the 80s and 90s?

I was a kid in the 80s, and reading for fun was already something that raised eyebrows.

The big difference between Tolkien/Lewis and Rowling is that the former have been school texts (which can be a right turn-off for many kids), and the latter has been hounded out of (several) schools, at least temporarily. The movies did bring Tolkien and Lewis back into the bestseller lists, but I bet most readers, even for Narnia, were adults.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Lion, Witch, Wardrobe was the first novel I ever read, followed soon by the Hobbit in 2nd grade. Absurdly the Hobbit was considered Satanic by many school teachers at the time where I lived.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:39 PM »

Oh, if I had made the comparisons between Harry Potter and Neil Gaiman's boy wizard character, that wouldn't be a non sequitur.

I like to learn how to stop making non sequiturs on this forum because they're impacting my sociability inside and outside this forum. 

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 06:15:02 PM »

Maybe....BUT HAVE YOU READ HARRY POTTER IN LATIN?

https://www.amazon.com/Harrius-Potter-Philosophi-Lapis-Philosophers/dp/1582348251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503353691&sr=8-1&keywords=harry+potter+latin

WHY DOES THIS EXIST
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »
I had heard for years about how incredibly evil and demonic the Harry Potter series was. I was Protestant at the time and bought into the hype. My brother-in-law would go on long tiraides related to how evil the series was (he was a youth pastor).

Then I decided that I really couldn't judge something like that series as evil unless I read it myself. I read the first book while pregnant with our eldest son. I quickly made it thru the first 6 just in time for the release of the 7th. Soon after I decided that our eldest daughter should be able to read them. It was good timing because her friends were reading them too, so they could enjoy them together.

I pre-judged the series unjustly based upon secondhand information, and I am glad I revisited that judgement. Is it the best fiction series I've ever read? Absolutely not. Is it a fun series to read that furthered a passion for reading in our kids? Yes. That son I was pregnant with is enjoying the new illustrated versions being released now. He reads them over and over, and I've seen an improvement in his reading because of this new found passion for reading. Reading is a skill that takes practice, and the HP is excellent practice.

Here is a photo from one of these beautiful books:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:44:29 PM by Quinault »

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
The illustrated editions are wonderful.

I made the plunge and finally bought my own set of books last year after years of reading other peoples' and the ebooks. Decided to go with the adult-oriented UK paperbacks. They're beautiful, and don't take up about a mile of shelf space like the American hardbacks I was used to. Plus, all the weird British-isms!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:11:29 PM by Aram »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
The 20th anniversary editions of The Philosopher's Stone, although not illustrated, are lovely as well, with the house colours and all. We resisted, because we'd end up having three copies in the house (we number two Ravenclaws, a Gryffindor and a Slytherin among us). The young one got the complete set in ebook format on his tablet for free, but I still want the adult hardbacks to display... and they cost a small fortune. :-\

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 08:48:04 PM »
I've been seriously contemplating buying a set of the illustrated books for myself. They are simply beautiful, and I think it would be fun to have on hand to read to grandchildren.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
I'm up to the second book.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
I have read fantasy genre novels as entertainment on-and-off since my teen years.  Most recently I read the George RR Martin novels.

I never bought into the "beware of witchcraft" warnings but I also can't say there is anything especially edifying about reading and exploring these fictional worlds with one's imagination.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 11:54:27 PM »
I'm up to the second book.
Even though it's before Rowling really hits her stride (the universe really concretizes and the writing actually gets good in Book 3), Chamber of Secrets alternates with Goblet of Fire as my favorite Potter book. Savor reading these for the first time!