Author Topic: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter  (Read 11997 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
I recently finished reading the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and I would like to retract all the bad things I ever said about Harry Potter.  If I offended anyone, I ask for forgiveness.

A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series.  Regardless, I enjoyed reading the first book, like reading Bewitched.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
Hey Sol! Haven't seen you in awhile. Good to see you; hope you are doing well.  :)
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:07:05 PM »
A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series.

That, of course, is your choice, but - beyond the glasses - Tim Hunter and Harry Potter can be worlds apart. You'd be missing out. :)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
+1
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »
I recently finished reading the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and I would like to retract all the bad things I ever said about Harry Potter.  If I offended anyone, I ask for forgiveness.

A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series.  Regardless, I enjoyed reading the first book, like reading Bewitched.

You shouldn't. Harry Potter is trash.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »

A friend of mine told me that J.K. Rowling's depiction of Harry Potter was similar to Neil Gaiman's depiction of a boy wizard; hence, I won't be reading the rest of the books in the Harry Potter series. 

Huh?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »

I enjoyed the series myself.  Read all the books during the summer of 2010.  Order of the Phoenix (book 5) was particularly difficult to get through (Dolores Umbridge was a true witch) but I agree with Arachne you should really read the entire series. 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »
Hey Sol! Haven't seen you in awhile. Good to see you; hope you are doing well.  :)

I am doing well.  Thanks for asking.

That, of course, is your choice, but - beyond the glasses - Tim Hunter and Harry Potter can be worlds apart. You'd be missing out. :)

I wanted to repudiate my own stereotypes of Harry Potter.  I accomplished that goal.   :)

Why do you say that?  Have you read any book in the series?

Huh?

See reply to Arachne.

Online rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
Years ago I saw a book in an Orthodox store connecting RocknRoll to Satanism. It was humorous enough for me that I bought the book. I think some conservative Orthodox can overreact to things. I had fun with Halloween as a child too.

That said, if one is deep in Orthodox spirituality, one can have a natural tendency or desire to avoid engaging in materials like Harry Potter. An easy reason is because the Torah bans the sorcery arts. Exodus 18 runs:

9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

13 Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.

The more one gets into criticising the Harry Potter series from a true, deep, godly Orthodox perspective, one can see how Orthodoxy, Christianity, belief in God and His light are like a candle against a black background compared to it.

In 2002, the Greek Orthodox Church authorities in Thrace released a statement denouncing the Harry Potter books as Satanic, saying that they "acquaint people with evil, wizardry, the occult and demonology." The statement also criticised the purported similarities between Harry Potter and Jesus Christ, saying, "It is beyond doubt that Harry was made to resemble a young savior. Upon his birth people try to kill him, he is forever subjected to injustice but always supernaturally manages to prevail and save others. Let us reflect, who else … is held to be the unjustly treated God?"[11]

In June 2004, soon after a native Bulgarian, Stanislav Ianevski, had been cast to portray the character Viktor Krum in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the Bulgarian Orthodox Church printed a front-page article in their official newspaper, claiming that "magic is not a children's game," and that the holy Synod had advised that a church in Sofia hold special liturgies every Thursday to cure those afflicted by spells or possessed by evil spirits. Pamphlets were posted throughout the city, claiming that reciting a Harry Potter spell "is as if you are praying to evil", and that "God hates magic."

Clive Leviev-Sawyer (2004). "Bulgarian church warns against the spell of Harry Potter". Ecumenica News International. Retrieved 2007-06-15.

"Church: Harry Potter film a font of evil". Kathimerini. 2003. Archived from the original on 4 March 2003
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_debates_over_the_Harry_Potter_series#cite_note-bulgaria-10

Anastasia Verina writes on the Pravoslavie website that we should not expect much spiritually from the Harry Potter series:
What do we want from the regular pagan Mrs. Rowling, which decided to earn money? That she praised the miracles of the Lord? ....

old fairy tales were written by Christians or people in general, whereas a modern neopagan legend doesn't have much to teach Christian children.
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/5740.html

The “Sorcerer's Stone" is also called the "Philosopher's Stone", and is purely Cabbalistic in nature.  Rosicrucianism as an example, teaches that an Initiate will pass through five stages to become the highest Adept possible, to be most proficient in exercising the power of Satanism.  They call this process the "Five Stages In The Transmutation of the Soul.”  The final stage is depicted by the Phoenix Bird; the Adept is then said to have achieved the "Sorcerer's Stone."  Thus, the fact that the term "Sorcerer's Stone" is the main title of the fifth book in this series, (and now a highly acclaimed movie) suggests that the ultimate goal of all students at Hogwarts is to achieve the holy Grail of the Sorcerer's Stone.
 It’s also very interesting that Rowling has made the creator of the Sorcerer's Stone 666 years old?  As we have seen many times in this study, 666 is synonymous with antichrist and his Mark.  [Revelation 13:18]
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Hellivision/harry_potter_is_evil.htm

Harry Potter...
Real Names and Real Witches

Nicholas Flamel, a real historic sorcerer, plays a key role in the book. Referring to the trading card of Albus Dumbledore, we read:
    "Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindlewald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's  blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel'!
Towards the end of the book, we are presented with the promotion of suicide as an honorable way of helping others. Flamel and his real wife Perenelle have killed themselves to hide the secret of the Philosopher's Stone, with Flamel being the significant age of 666 years. ... Occult encyclopedias state that legend teaches that Flamel and his wife faked their deaths and are still living. Which, would be why Rowlings showed Flamel alive and well working with Dumbledore, also a sorcerer.
The Basilisk, a giant creature with snake-like features and in the Chamber of Secrets, was presented as coming from the Slytherin statue, which came alive when Voldemort/Riddle spoke to it in snake language. If it looked in Harry's eye, he would die. Basilisk is another name for the Philosopher's Stone. [Names >http://www.levity.com/alchemy/gratacol.html] Meaning, that the symbol of Satan--a serpent, offers immortality or the Elixir of life.
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/harry_potter-real_names.htm
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

I wanted to repudiate my own stereotypes of Harry Potter.  I accomplished that goal.   :)

Huh?

See reply to Arachne.

Character X develops similarly to character Y, so I won't read the rest... that's a non sequitur, matey.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »

Huh?

See reply to Arachne.

Character X develops similarly to character Y, so I won't read the rest... that's a non sequitur, matey.

It's analogy, a basis of logic.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
I'm not a big fan of fiction, but in order to get my sister to read my brand of non-fiction, I am reading the Harry Potter series, and I admit, I'm enjoying them as well.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »
I wonder which series was bigger as gateway books that turned non-readers into readers: Lord of the Rings, Narnia, or Harry Potter. Anyone know of polls or whatever that explores that kind of thing?

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
If you make that The Hobbit, it might be a little fairer. Or maybe that what you meant.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
I've only just read the first Harry Potter book and part of the second. I like them.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
If you make that The Hobbit, it might be a little fairer. Or maybe that what you meant.

Yeah, I meant it to be included, so I should have mentioned it. I know Harry Potter has been wildly popular, but then The Hobbit and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe have been both popular and also common school texts for decades now (in the U.S. at least).

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

Yeah, I meant it to be included, so I should have mentioned it. I know Harry Potter has been wildly popular, but then The Hobbit and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe have been both popular and also common school texts for decades now (in the U.S. at least).

I've read The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series and I preferred the Harry Potter series.   :laugh:

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
^My sister said the same, only she gave up after the Hobbit, and didn't bother with the Lord of the Rings (Stephen Colbert would probably read this and be so irate)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 09:12:42 PM »
I wonder which series was bigger as gateway books that turned non-readers into readers: Lord of the Rings, Narnia, or Harry Potter. Anyone know of polls or whatever that explores that kind of thing?

Harry Potter. Kids in the '50s already read a lot, without TV and videogame distractions.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »

Harry Potter. Kids in the '50s already read a lot, without TV and videogame distractions.

What about kids in the 80s and 90s?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:19:33 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »

What about kids in the 80s and 90s?

I was a kid in the 80s, and reading for fun was already something that raised eyebrows.

The big difference between Tolkien/Lewis and Rowling is that the former have been school texts (which can be a right turn-off for many kids), and the latter has been hounded out of (several) schools, at least temporarily. The movies did bring Tolkien and Lewis back into the bestseller lists, but I bet most readers, even for Narnia, were adults.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Lion, Witch, Wardrobe was the first novel I ever read, followed soon by the Hobbit in 2nd grade. Absurdly the Hobbit was considered Satanic by many school teachers at the time where I lived.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:39 PM »

Oh, if I had made the comparisons between Harry Potter and Neil Gaiman's boy wizard character, that wouldn't be a non sequitur.

I like to learn how to stop making non sequiturs on this forum because they're impacting my sociability inside and outside this forum. 

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 06:15:02 PM »

Maybe....BUT HAVE YOU READ HARRY POTTER IN LATIN?

https://www.amazon.com/Harrius-Potter-Philosophi-Lapis-Philosophers/dp/1582348251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503353691&sr=8-1&keywords=harry+potter+latin

WHY DOES THIS EXIST
I'm done.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • Resident breeder-8 kids
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »
I had heard for years about how incredibly evil and demonic the Harry Potter series was. I was Protestant at the time and bought into the hype. My brother-in-law would go on long tiraides related to how evil the series was (he was a youth pastor).

Then I decided that I really couldn't judge something like that series as evil unless I read it myself. I read the first book while pregnant with our eldest son. I quickly made it thru the first 6 just in time for the release of the 7th. Soon after I decided that our eldest daughter should be able to read them. It was good timing because her friends were reading them too, so they could enjoy them together.

I pre-judged the series unjustly based upon secondhand information, and I am glad I revisited that judgement. Is it the best fiction series I've ever read? Absolutely not. Is it a fun series to read that furthered a passion for reading in our kids? Yes. That son I was pregnant with is enjoying the new illustrated versions being released now. He reads them over and over, and I've seen an improvement in his reading because of this new found passion for reading. Reading is a skill that takes practice, and the HP is excellent practice.

Here is a photo from one of these beautiful books:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:44:29 PM by Quinault »

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
The illustrated editions are wonderful.

I made the plunge and finally bought my own set of books last year after years of reading other peoples' and the ebooks. Decided to go with the adult-oriented UK paperbacks. They're beautiful, and don't take up about a mile of shelf space like the American hardbacks I was used to. Plus, all the weird British-isms!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:11:29 PM by Aram »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
The 20th anniversary editions of The Philosopher's Stone, although not illustrated, are lovely as well, with the house colours and all. We resisted, because we'd end up having three copies in the house (we number two Ravenclaws, a Gryffindor and a Slytherin among us). The young one got the complete set in ebook format on his tablet for free, but I still want the adult hardbacks to display... and they cost a small fortune. :-\

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • Resident breeder-8 kids
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 08:48:04 PM »
I've been seriously contemplating buying a set of the illustrated books for myself. They are simply beautiful, and I think it would be fun to have on hand to read to grandchildren.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
I'm up to the second book.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
I have read fantasy genre novels as entertainment on-and-off since my teen years.  Most recently I read the George RR Martin novels.

I never bought into the "beware of witchcraft" warnings but I also can't say there is anything especially edifying about reading and exploring these fictional worlds with one's imagination.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 11:54:27 PM »
I'm up to the second book.
Even though it's before Rowling really hits her stride (the universe really concretizes and the writing actually gets good in Book 3), Chamber of Secrets alternates with Goblet of Fire as my favorite Potter book. Savor reading these for the first time!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
Recently, I continued reading the Harry Potter series.  I read Prisoner of Azkaban first because it was available at the local library.  After finishing that book, I borrowed Chamber of Secrets and finished that in 3 days.  Next on the list is Goblet of Fire.

• High Elder
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 01:26:05 AM »
I had heard for years about how incredibly evil and demonic the Harry Potter series was. I was Protestant at the time and bought into the hype. My brother-in-law would go on long tiraides related to how evil the series was (he was a youth pastor).

Then I decided that I really couldn't judge something like that series as evil unless I read it myself. I read the first book while pregnant with our eldest son. I quickly made it thru the first 6 just in time for the release of the 7th. Soon after I decided that our eldest daughter should be able to read them. It was good timing because her friends were reading them too, so they could enjoy them together.

I pre-judged the series unjustly based upon secondhand information, and I am glad I revisited that judgement. Is it the best fiction series I've ever read? Absolutely not. Is it a fun series to read that furthered a passion for reading in our kids? Yes. That son I was pregnant with is enjoying the new illustrated versions being released now. He reads them over and over, and I've seen an improvement in his reading because of this new found passion for reading. Reading is a skill that takes practice, and the HP is excellent practice.

Here is a photo from one of these beautiful books:

Look forward to reading the series with my kids, assuming I have some, in the future. :)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
I've all the books of the series, and each a few times - last time was in February (coming back to them after a few years), when I was ill a whole week and prefered to read something I know and like. I'd say these books were important part of my late childhood and early adolescence.
I don't see any problem with them provided that you treat them as a fitin, the same way like e.g Cindirella.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
If I do ever get one it'll be the Scots Edition  ;D
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
Wife read all the Harry Potter to the family ~ we enjoyed them and the movies ~ along with the Phantom Stallion and many others ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
Just started Goblet of Fire.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »
My daughter was watching Goblet of Fire last night, and honestly Amos Diggory is the most sympathetic character in the entire thing. His final scene is really the most memorable thing about an otherwise terrible adaptation.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »
Harry Potter backward is Ret Topyr Rah. Which means Great Lord Rah. Everyone reading these books has been initiated into the cult of Rah. Unless I’m lying. And I might be.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »
i font like harry potter it leads people to the Wicca faith and to practice sorcery and witchcraft
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
i font like harry potter it leads people to the Wicca faith and to practice sorcery and witchcraft

Wiccans can confirm it does not. :)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »

Pretty sure the author belongs to the Church of England.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »

Scottish Episcopal Church, but close as makes no difference.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »

And then they stop after five minutes when they find out that brooms don't really fly and eyes-of-newt are harder to come by than they expected? ???

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »

And then they stop after five minutes when they find out that brooms don't really fly and eyes-of-newt are harder to come by than they expected? ???

Remember, kids, if your 11th birthday comes and goes without owl post from Hogwarts, you'll be squibs to the end of your days. Study didn't work for Mr Filch and won't work for you. :D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2018, 03:53:27 PM »

Scottish Episcopal Church, but close as makes no difference.

Thanks.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
Demon owls luring children to satanism.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
Demon owls luring children to satanism.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
The Harry Potter books should be read in the following order:

1. Redwall
2. Pages 126-233 of Harry Potter IV
3. The Hobbit until you get to the dragon
4. ASCII art depicting Cary Fischer's final moments
5. The eagles scene from Lord of the Rings overlayed with the intro music from Star Trek: First Contact
6. Harry Potter I, just the childhood abuse scenes
7. Lavar Burton's autobiography, read while glancing at a poster of wonder woman and an IDF recruitment pamphlet
8. The train scenes from the Narnia series
9. Rowling's tweet where she makes Harry and Hermione get together
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:55:57 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »
The Harry Potter books should be read in the following order:

1. Redwall
2. Pages 126-233 of Harry Potter IV
3. The Hobbit until you get to the dragon
4. ASCII art depicting Cary Fischer's final moments
5. The eagles scene from Lord of the Rings overlayed with the intro music from Star Trek: First Contact
6. Harry Potter I, just the childhood abuse scenes
7. Lavar Burton's autobiography, read while glancing at a poster of wonder woman and an IDF recruitment pamphlet
8. The train scenes from the Narnia series
9. Rowling's tweet where she makes Harry and Hermione get together

Wait, when do you read the comments she made about Johnny Depp? From what I've read on Twitter that's the most important stuff she's said in the last decade ???

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 10:00:25 PM »
Finished Goblet of Fire a few hours ago.  Next is Order of the Phoenix.  I hope I can read that in a week.

I wish I read these books when they were released.  My own hubris and incorrect assumptions kept me from reading them.  Plus, back then, I could read an entire book in 1-2 nights.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2018, 11:32:19 PM »
Finished Goblet of Fire a few hours ago.  Next is Order of the Phoenix.  I hope I can read that in a week.

I wish I read these books when they were released.  My own hubris and incorrect assumptions kept me from reading them.  Plus, back then, I could read an entire book in 1-2 nights.

Quit flagellating yourself, it's only a mediocre fiction series. I'm glad you like it, but sheesh...
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
Finished Order of the Phoenix on Saturday.  I've started on Half-Blood Prince and borrowed Deathly Hallows once I finish Half-Blood Prince.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
I've completed all 7 books in the Harry Potter series after finishing Deathly Hallows in a 10 hour binge session.  I enjoyed reading the series, which has elements of King Arthur, 1984, and James Bond.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »
We are impressed by your reading prowess, good job!
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
i still do not like harry potter.
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2018, 03:27:44 PM »
I've completed all 7 books in the Harry Potter series after finishing Deathly Hallows in a 10 hour binge session.

My husband read the hardback in about 6 hours - started when we came back from the midnight run on release day, went to bed after an hour or so, then resumed the next day after breakfast and he was done by lunchtime. :o

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
I've completed all 7 books in the Harry Potter series after finishing Deathly Hallows in a 10 hour binge session.  I enjoyed reading the series, which has elements of King Arthur, 1984, and James Bond.

Wow, did it take you a lot of caffeine?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2018, 08:10:01 PM »
i still do not like harry potter.

It's likely been ruined for me by overexposure, heh.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2018, 09:54:47 PM »
Wow, did it take you a lot of caffeine?

Just a Pepsi at dinner.  I was motivated to finish the series.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2018, 09:56:34 PM »
We are impressed by your reading prowess, good job!

Thanks Mor.   :)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2018, 12:06:52 AM »
I like Harry Potter.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2018, 01:50:41 AM »
Yep ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:10 AM »
A thought I had yesterday:

If the Paris School was divided into Hogwarts-style houses: Florovsky; Schmemann; Bulgakov; and Bloom (with their analogues being Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, respectfully).
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Lol nice
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
Do you ~ any or you ~ have a wand ~ close at hand ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »

Yes, a Ruger PC9.  You need it?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »

Of course. A cauldron, too.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
This laptop is sitting on two wands ~ that allows great air circulation ```

How about a Walther Luftwaffe Hammerless 9mm

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
but ~ not one ~ has a wand ~ not one ```

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
Polish priest apologises for Harry Potter book burning

A priest in northern Poland who led a public burning of books that included Harry Potter titles and other “evil” items parishioners wanted destroyed has apologised...

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Gregory the Great, pray for me, a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2019, 07:02:21 PM »
My opinion can be best summed up by a certain user on a Trad Cat forum I'm a member of (Suscipe Domine)

That’s a laugh. You’re the one, in complete ignorance of the subject matter, making appeals to the “authority” of a priest on a subject of which he appears to be almost as ignorant as you are. And he’d likely have to be, since he’d be forbidden to even study the occult and publically-available literature in question, like the Corpus Hermeticum, the Greek Magical Papyri, the Kabbalistic texts, the Picatrix, the Solomonic grimoires like the Hygromanteia, Lemegeton, Key of Solomon or Grimorium Verum, the collections of folk magic and spells, the classics on occult philosophy of Agrippa, Bruno and Paracelsus, the later writings of Eliphas Levi, A.E. Waite, Mathers, Regardie and the Golden Dawn manuals, or the modern practitioners.

If one is making the assertion that “real spells” exist in the pages of the Harry Potter books, then one ought to evidence that by example. Nobody has done so. But it’s absurd on the face of it, as waving a wand while uttering some fake Latin words is not a spell nor casting a spell, which requires preparation, astrological timing, ritual preliminaries and invocations, entering into gnostic trance, rhythmic repetition, and application of imagination and force of will; that is, if one is not invoking a spirit over days over ritually prepared device or evoking a spirit to manifestation to exorcise, bind and command it to perform a task, or forming a pact with it. But none of that appears in Rowling’s work, even in rudimentary or superficial form.

If one is making the assertion that the Harry Potter books contain the names of demons, then one ought to evidence that. Of course, that’s more unevudenced baloney, and consultation of any demonolological works or spirit lists, be they the Bible, Nag Hammadi library, Testament of Solomon, Hygromanteia, Ars Goetia, Steganographica, Ars Theurgia, Book of Abramelin etc., will leave one coming up empty handed.

If one is making the assertion that Rowling understands the occult and has written a “training manual”, then one ought to evidence that too. But she demonstrates not even a basic knowledge of meditative practice in any system east or west, how divination works from the perspective of the visionary, spiritual hierarchies, Neoplatonic cosmology, astrology as applied to magical practice, the elementary divisions of magic, the Kabbalistic “Tree of Life” and its worlds, or any magical theory on how it all fits together and works.

That’s not an appeal to authority. It’s a statement of facts which will be corroborated by anyone else in the know, and by in-the-know, I don’t mean someone who dabbled for six months in Gardnerian Wicca and read one Lewellyn-published book picked off the shelf of the local pop occult store when she was a teenager.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:07:21 PM by Eamonomae »
"Feast on wine or fast on water
And your honor shall stand sure,
God Almighty's son and daughter
He the valiant, she the pure;
If an angel out of heaven
Brings you other things to drink,
Thank him for his kind attention,
Go and pour them down the sink."

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
My opinion can be best summed up by a certain user on a Trad Cat forum I'm a member of (Suscipe Domine)

That’s a laugh. You’re the one, in complete ignorance of the subject matter, making appeals to the “authority” of a priest on a subject of which he appears to be almost as ignorant as you are. And he’d likely have to be, since he’d be forbidden to even study the occult and publically-available literature in question, like the Corpus Hermeticum, the Greek Magical Papyri, the Kabbalistic texts, the Picatrix, the Solomonic grimoires like the Hygromanteia, Lemegeton, Key of Solomon or Grimorium Verum, the collections of folk magic and spells, the classics on occult philosophy of Agrippa, Bruno and Paracelsus, the later writings of Eliphas Levi, A.E. Waite, Mathers, Regardie and the Golden Dawn manuals, or the modern practitioners.

If one is making the assertion that “real spells” exist in the pages of the Harry Potter books, then one ought to evidence that by example. Nobody has done so. But it’s absurd on the face of it, as waving a wand while uttering some fake Latin words is not a spell nor casting a spell, which requires preparation, astrological timing, ritual preliminaries and invocations, entering into gnostic trance, rhythmic repetition, and application of imagination and force of will; that is, if one is not invoking a spirit over days over ritually prepared device or evoking a spirit to manifestation to exorcise, bind and command it to perform a task, or forming a pact with it. But none of that appears in Rowling’s work, even in rudimentary or superficial form.

If one is making the assertion that the Harry Potter books contain the names of demons, then one ought to evidence that. Of course, that’s more unevudenced baloney, and consultation of any demonolological works or spirit lists, be they the Bible, Nag Hammadi library, Testament of Solomon, Hygromanteia, Ars Goetia, Steganographica, Ars Theurgia, Book of Abramelin etc., will leave one coming up empty handed.

If one is making the assertion that Rowling understands the occult and has written a “training manual”, then one ought to evidence that too. But she demonstrates not even a basic knowledge of meditative practice in any system east or west, how divination works from the perspective of the visionary, spiritual hierarchies, Neoplatonic cosmology, astrology as applied to magical practice, the elementary divisions of magic, the Kabbalistic “Tree of Life” and its worlds, or any magical theory on how it all fits together and works.

That’s not an appeal to authority. It’s a statement of facts which will be corroborated by anyone else in the know, and by in-the-know, I don’t mean someone who dabbled for six months in Gardnerian Wicca and read one Lewellyn-published book picked off the shelf of the local pop occult store when she was a teenager.

Love the new avatar, i cant read what it says but i know spice guy when i see him, and you do spice it up....

Like most things kids can overdose on Harry Potter, as with star wars, star trek, etc.

But after watching all 17 harry potter movies i can tell you with certainty, they arent very good. I read one book, (because i had too) and it was ok for a teenager novel, but i just dont see why grown adults get carried away with it.
Thats my 3 cents.

But i dont like 70% of the movies out today, and i hate 99% of those mind numbing superhero ones,  so take that into account

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »
We enjoyed them ```

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2019, 11:36:56 PM »
Love the new avatar, i cant read what it says but i know spice guy when i see him, and you do spice it up....

It says "Carthage must be destroyed" in Latin, it's a phrase attributed to Cato the Elder. According to legend, after the Romans had overrun Carthage in the end of the Third Punic War, they poured Salt on the remains of the city so nothing could ever grow there again.

Like most things kids can overdose on Harry Potter, as with star wars, star trek, etc.

But after watching all 17 harry potter movies i can tell you with certainty, they arent very good. I read one book, (because i had too) and it was ok for a teenager novel, but i just dont see why grown adults get carried away with it.
Thats my 3 cents.

Honestly, I can understand why many conservative Christian parents, and even Exorcists, are hesitant for these books.

Unlike say something like Lord of the Rings or Narnia, where Magic is simply a plot device, Harry Potter builds it's entire world as something fantastic and beautiful on magic, and creates an entire society based on magic.

However, I don't think that the "magic" that's described here is really connected to the Occult, as the quote I posted says.

When I was a kid, I was very much into Wizards - like Merlin and other things in the fantasy genre like that. What got me interested was a combination of AdventureQuest, Runescape and something I went to called "MagiQuest" in South Carolina for Vacation once. This place was a giant building, kind of like a pseudo-virtual reality game with interactive TV Screens and statues, and you had to do "quests" with an electronic wand that you purchase - the quests were "run around the building as fast as possible, going from Point A to Point B and Point B to Point D, and Point C to Point A" and you paid per hour. After you ran around the building enough, you get "runes" for doing what's required of you, and you fight these "duels" with monsters like a Goblin or Orc King and a Dragon, using the spells you "obtain."

I wasn't interested in Harry Potter until some time later, because I guess I was kind of a hipster as a kid. I was the weirdo interested in wizards - how could Harry Potter be good if nobody was into what I was into?

Needless to say that this led me to a book called "The Wizardology Handbook" - and while it was from a series of fantastical things and many of the things in this book were fantastical, like leprechauns, unicorns, dragons, etc., I will say that this book is far, far more dangerous for getting kids into the Occult - and I wonder if the author seriously had sinister intentions; perhaps the author was into the Occult himself - one of the most disturbing things about this book that I vividly remember was that the book personified the four elements of nature (fire, water, earth, and air) as "four spirits," and I remember the book basically told the reader that these four spirits are responsible for making magic work, and it had a page for veneration for these four spirits, which had a poem saying things along the lines of "Hail ----, the spirit of fire and power! Hail ----, the spirit of air and movement!"

Reading it and being interested in it violated my conscious. I thankfully didn't go further down the rabbit hole int actual Occult literature when my religious Catholic grandfather intervened and angrily told me that the only God I should be worshiping and praising is Jesus Christ, when he read the book itself.

My point is that I don't think Harry Potter will get kids into the Occult unless they come to the conclusion that Harry Potter isn't fantastical or get so obsessed with wizardry that they look more into it; in the case of me, Harry Potter wasn't even required for that temptation to occur to me in my life.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:40:23 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2019, 05:13:09 AM »
This thread spun off from this one: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52597.0.html

Hopefully we don't have to discuss it all over again for the new people.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2019, 05:25:42 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why I'm still on OCnet on a daily basis and then I see a thread called "retraction of all bad things said about Harry Potter" with 77 responses.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »

It says "Carthage must be destroyed" in Latin, it's a phrase attributed to Cato the Elder. According to legend, after the Romans had overrun Carthage in the end of the Third Punic War, they poured Salt on the remains of the city so nothing could ever grow there again.

Thats my 3 cents.

Honestly, I can understand why many conservative Christian parents, and even Exorcists, are hesitant for these books.

Unlike say something like Lord of the Rings or Narnia, where Magic is simply a plot device, Harry Potter builds it's entire world as something fantastic and beautiful on magic, and creates an entire society based on magic.

However, I don't think that the "magic" that's described here is really connected to the Occult, as the quote I posted says.

When I was a kid, I was very much into Wizards - like Merlin and other things in the fantasy genre like that. What got me interested was a combination of AdventureQuest, Runescape and something I went to called "MagiQuest" in South Carolina for Vacation once. This place was a giant building, kind of like a pseudo-virtual reality game with interactive TV Screens and statues, and you had to do "quests" with an electronic wand that you purchase - the quests were "run around the building as fast as possible, going from Point A to Point B and Point B to Point D, and Point C to Point A" and you paid per hour. After you ran around the building enough, you get "runes" for doing what's required of you, and you fight these "duels" with monsters like a Goblin or Orc King and a Dragon, using the spells you "obtain."

I wasn't interested in Harry Potter until some time later, because I guess I was kind of a hipster as a kid. I was the weirdo interested in wizards - how could Harry Potter be good if nobody was into what I was into?

Needless to say that this led me to a book called "The Wizardology Handbook" - and while it was from a series of fantastical things and many of the things in this book were fantastical, like leprechauns, unicorns, dragons, etc., I will say that this book is far, far more dangerous for getting kids into the Occult - and I wonder if the author seriously had sinister intentions; perhaps the author was into the Occult himself - one of the most disturbing things about this book that I vividly remember was that the book personified the four elements of nature (fire, water, earth, and air) as "four spirits," and I remember the book basically told the reader that these four spirits are responsible for making magic work, and it had a page for veneration for these four spirits, which had a poem saying things along the lines of "Hail ----, the spirit of fire and power! Hail ----, the spirit of air and movement!"

Reading it and being interested in it violated my conscious. I thankfully didn't go further down the rabbit hole int actual Occult literature when my religious Catholic grandfather intervened and angrily told me that the only God I should be worshiping and praising is Jesus Christ, when he read the book itself.

My point is that I don't think Harry Potter will get kids into the Occult unless they come to the conclusion that Harry Potter isn't fantastical or get so obsessed with wizardry that they look more into it; in the case of me, Harry Potter wasn't even required for that temptation to occur to me in my life.

I agree, i just see how certain people can dive deep into a subject, potter, star wars, superhero, etc.
Which in todays over stimulated society is pushed.

Potter is a teenager coming of age story, to me it read like that. I think kids will read and watch things that are like this, but so long as we dont let them see it to early (language, sexual themes, adult situations) or get carried away to much, it wont turn them into a wicca nuttjob who paints with blood.

But I'm sure there are people who got into wicca, satanism because of harry potter, or lord of the rings, or MLP, those people probably had messed up childhoods or cruddy parents

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
There are sexual themes in Harry Potter?

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »

Have you seen how big Dobby’s Nose is?

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »

Ah, but does it vibrate?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »
Oh, so that's why Harry gave him a sock.

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »

Sexual tension is noticeable to children

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »

How about a vibrating broomstick for girls?

https://www.methodshop.com/2003/12/harry-potter-broomstick.shtml

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »

What sexual tension are we talking about? Romeo and Juliet? The Bible? It seems strange to have a blanket ban on it.

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »

What sexual tension are we talking about? Romeo and Juliet? The Bible? It seems strange to have a blanket ban on it.

Why act like it wasnt geared towards adolescents, and how does Hollywood relate to people at that age?
Dont act like there wasnt sexual tension.

I never said it needs to be banned did I?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

Why act like it wasnt geared towards adolescents, and how does Hollywood relate to people at that age?

Sorry, I misspoke. By "ban" I meant "blanket moratorium on letting kids read it." It kind of has to be judged on a case by case basis, especially given the classic works that we do let kids read.

I'm not sure there's all that much tension in Harry Potter, just some mild stuff between the main characters (Rowling's attempts at gay retconning Dumbledore notwithstanding). Then again, I've not seen the movies nor read the books.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:24:09 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »

Adolescents are familiar with sexual tension in their lives, why is it problematic when it's fictional adolescents in books? We're talking about the source material here, not the movies.

By the way, here's an interesting little piece about how the significance of the kissing scenes in the books can shift in the movies.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »
Sexual tension ~ I guess I missed that ~ and Dobby's nose ~ Spider, you saw sexual something with Dobby's nose ```

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
Sexual tension ~ I guess I missed that ~ and Dobby's nose ~ Spider, you saw sexual something with Dobby's nose ```

Sorry, I don't read gibberish.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
Not a problem ```

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »

Adolescents are familiar with sexual tension in their lives, why is it problematic when it's fictional adolescents in books? We're talking about the source material here, not the movies.

By the way, here's an interesting little piece about how the significance of the kissing scenes in the books can shift in the movies.

I forgot what you push here for a minute. Im not surprised to see you arguing sexual situations are ok fo kids.
Whats next?

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
Not a problem ```

I understood you sethrak
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:54:27 PM by Rubricnigel »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
Kids may notice sexual tension, but they'll read it otherwise because they experience analogous situations.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2019, 04:51:46 AM »

That's a very good analysis. The kisses in Harry Potter are not sex ephasis, but of characters and circumstances.
Plus, there are no detail descriptions, that you can see in many, many books for adolscents.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2019, 05:51:18 AM »
There was a time when reading was viewed as a vapid and morally unproductive activity, similar to how we view television today. Reading for its own sake is not necessarily a virtue. What matters is what we read, why we read, and how we read. Nothing wrong with reading for entertainment and pleasure, but in doing so we must be spiritually cautious. I have ranted against Harry Potter on this forum, probably unnecessarily so. I haven't read the books and don't plan to. Most people here are probably spiritually mature enough and discerning enough to read the books without being negatively influenced by them. My concern is with children who have no sound spiritual and parental guidance to enable them to read these books for fun without being corrupted by the unorthodox ideas contained within. I think we are very naïve if we think that anything and everything that's intended "just for fun" is spiritually and morally innocuous. Just my two cents on it.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:56 PM »
There was a time when reading was viewed as a vapid and morally unproductive activity, similar to how we view television today. Reading for its own sake is not necessarily a virtue. What matters is what we read, why we read, and how we read. Nothing wrong with reading for entertainment and pleasure, but in doing so we must be spiritually cautious. I have ranted against Harry Potter on this forum, probably unnecessarily so. I haven't read the books and don't plan to. Most people here are probably spiritually mature enough and discerning enough to read the books without being negatively influenced by them. My concern is with children who have no sound spiritual and parental guidance to enable them to read these books for fun without being corrupted by the unorthodox ideas contained within. I think we are very naïve if we think that anything and everything that's intended "just for fun" is spiritually and morally innocuous. Just my two cents on it.

Selam

I agree.
Often we forget how impressionable children are, violent video games, sexual situations, adult themes, demonic or outright satanic elements are everywhere.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
We view television as vapid and unproductive?

Ms. Rowling is an Anglican. My grandmother, may she rest in peace, said the books' only message was, use your imagination.

Spells don't exist. The books couldn't hurt a kid if they wanted to.

As the old saying goes, no good girl was ever ruined by a book.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
We view television as vapid and unproductive?

Ms. Rowling is an Anglican. My grandmother, may she rest in peace, said the books' only message was, use your imagination.

Spells don't exist. The books couldn't hurt a kid if they wanted to.

As the old saying goes, no good girl was ever ruined by a book.

I think they're using "gateway drug" logic. That the fake spells in Harry Potter will lead kids to investigate actual Wicca.

And tbf it's not impossible for that to happen, but I just don't know why they don't expand the argument to all kinds of classical things that we give a pass to for kids (Shakespeare, for example). Heck, there was a time when school children read Homer and Plato but people don't seem to have expected that to lead to experimenting with homosexuality and Zeus-worship.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
Spells don't exist.

I realize you are probably eager to defend something you enjoy, but I wish you wouldn’t go overboard as you often tend to do.

Spells, and all manner of other diabolical things, exist and the demons are only too happy to be invited thereby to wreak havoc on people’s lives.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
Spells don't exist.

I realize you are probably eager to defend something you enjoy, but I wish you wouldn’t go overboard as you often tend to do.

Spells, and all manner of other diabolical things, exist and the demons are only too happy to be invited thereby to wreak havoc on people’s lives.

Is one believes in God, one most believe in the Devil as well.

Most people refuse  to acknowledge that evil reigns

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2019, 09:13:49 PM »
The pagan community in general doesn't credit Harry Potter for swelling their ranks. Some have read it, some haven't. Some enjoyed it, some didn't. A lot find its themes too Christian, and the reactions from churches and parents rather amusing.

Ultimately, what the series influenced mostly was kids' reading habits, by getting tweens into 800-page books. :D

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:33 PM »
Today Harry Potter, tomorrow War and Peace  ;)
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2019, 01:20:58 AM »
The pagan community in general doesn't credit Harry Potter for swelling their ranks. Some have read it, some haven't. Some enjoyed it, some didn't. A lot find its themes too Christian, and the reactions from churches and parents rather amusing.

Proof? How would you know?

I mean, having studied the Caucasus Emitrate, it was clear from looking at archives of their propaganda site that they were boasting of the fact that the Quran inspired young Chechens to take up Jihad. It doesn't mean that the majority of those who read the Quran will become Islamic Jihadists, but it's a massive claim to say that the Caucasus Emirate doesn't boast of using the Quran to draw up militant fighters.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:21:26 AM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2019, 02:44:20 AM »

Proof? How would you know?

I mean, having studied the Caucasus Emitrate, it was clear from looking at archives of their propaganda site that they were boasting of the fact that the Quran inspired young Chechens to take up Jihad. It doesn't mean that the majority of those who read the Quran will become Islamic Jihadists, but it's a massive claim to say that the Caucasus Emirate doesn't boast of using the Quran to draw up militant fighters.

That's... a strange comparison to draw for a number of reasons. I'm not sure the logic holds.

Anyway, Arachne knows a lot of Neopagans and Wiccans. I trust her reasonably well to know something about what they think.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
That's... a strange comparison to draw for a number of reasons. I'm not sure the logic holds.

Could you elaborate?

Anyway, Arachne knows a lot of Neopagans and Wiccans. I trust her reasonably well to know something about what they think.

If she is knowledgeable, then she can give evidence.

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »

Could you elaborate?

If she is knowledgeable, then she can give evidence.

I already have: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52597.msg972669.html#msg972669

Here's also something more recent: https://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1345

But if you expect me to somehow display two decades' worth of interactions with pagans to your satisfaction, lol, not happening. Don't take my word for anything, go do your own research. Go out and find yourself a single pagan who became so because of Harry Potter.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
Thank you. I appreciate that you responded.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:49:03 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2019, 03:52:06 PM »

Could you elaborate?

Well, like you said the Caucasus Emirate is a single group with a searchable archive. It's a pretty easy claim to confirm or not. Whereas with pagans it would be proving a negative to say that nobody anywhere ever became pagan because of Harry Potter. All you can do is say whether it's likely or not given general trends, and it doesn't seem like it.

Plus, joining a single specific terrorist organization seems like a more binary action than looking into paganism, but I could be wrong.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2019, 07:45:13 PM »
The Rapture doesn't exist, so I guess one could argue that therefore reading the "Left Behind" series is spiritually innocuous. However, I would argue that those books are indeed spiritually detrimental to many who read them.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Tannhouser

• Jurisdiction: Inquirer
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
I always found it odd where the Narnia series was held so highly, especially as an allegory to the Christian life. Even when we read non-believers entering Narnia heaven.

Yet HP series is clearly a work of fiction, but deemed rotten to read.

I get it. Young minds are malleable, and we should be watchful for any foothold.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
Go out and find yourself a single pagan who became so because of Harry Potter.

The pagans I've known have laughed at the suggestion, including one who is being baptized into Thelema. Nothing in HP resembles the ritual in Crowley's magick, in Wicca, in Norse paganism or anything from the East.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »

The pagans I've known have laughed at the suggestion, including one who is being baptized into Thelema. Nothing in HP resembles the ritual in Crowley's magick, in Wicca, in Norse paganism or anything from the East.

That's what my own pagan acquaintances have said as well, for years, but who's listening? Some of them even grumble that the underlying message is too Christian for their liking (not that they bar their kids from reading it, regardless).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:40:59 AM by Arachne »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

That's what my own pagan acquaintances have said as well, for years, but who's listening? Some of them even grumble that the underlying message is too Christian for their liking (not that they bar their kids from reading it, regardless).
:laugh: Poor Harry can’t get a break.

Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Katechon

• Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
Harry Potter is garbage literature used to initiate people into the occult.
With my generation growing up with this and for example Yu-Gi-Oh (you know, the card game back in the day where you conjure demonic entities and in whose TV adaption people got banned into hell by losing a match etc) it rather succeeded in this.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »
With my generation growing up with this and for example Yu-Gi-Oh (you know, the card game back in the day where you conjure demonic entities and in whose TV adaption people got banned into hell by losing a match etc) it rather succeeded in this.

How many people do you know that got into occult practices by the influence of Harry Potter and Yugioh?

Offline Katechon

• Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »

How many people do you know that got into occult practices by the influence of Harry Potter and Yugioh?

Well, that is only the next step. But do you know Wicca? And do you know the gnostic-satanic Goa techno culture spreading throughout Europe?
These are further initiatory experiences.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2019, 02:14:16 PM »
But do you know Wicca?

Yes. So?

And do you know the gnostic-satanic Goa techno culture spreading throughout Europe?

No. Please enlighten us.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2019, 02:57:47 PM »
<>

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2019, 03:14:32 PM »
But do you know Wicca?

Yes. So?

And do you know the gnostic-satanic Goa techno culture spreading throughout Europe?

No. Please enlighten us.

+1

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »

I used to think the same way until I sat down and read the first book.  After reading all 7 books, I concluded that Harry Potter is more James Bond and King Arthur than the occult.  It's not a sin to have an imagination, as long as it isn't lust.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
https://fcm.org/should-a-christian-do-magic/

view of magic and the Bible ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
https://fcm.org/should-a-christian-do-magic/

view of magic and the Bible ```

I don't think reading Harry Potter is "doing magic" in any sense of the word.  I haven't read the books because it's not a genre that interests me, but I have no spiritual qualms reading fiction.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:17 PM »
We've read them all ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2019, 10:47:34 PM »
We've read them all ```

Are you a family of ~~~Armenian~~~ witches now?

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
We've read them all ```

I personally am made of wood and weigh as much as a duck. Does that make me a witch?

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
We've read them all ```

I personally am made of wood and weigh as much as a duck. Does that make me a witch?

It definitely makes you good kindling. 8)

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
Hi hecma, no but I've made wands ~ nice ones, I have a couple under the laptop holding it above the table for better air flow ~ the Harry Potter movies were fun, enjoyed them ~ I watched the first one the other night ~ the whole thing is a battle between good and evil ~ with a little junk thrown in ~ the girl who wrote it wove much into the plot ~ she did well ```

Much can be done with the Lord that would be considered: "Witchcraft" by some ~ most things thought wrong and sinful if done with and by God ~ including speaking to those who have died ~ Saints or your parents when praying ```

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Hi hecma, no but I've made wands ~ nice ones, I have a couple under the laptop holding it above the table for better air flow ~ the Harry Potter movies were fun, enjoyed them ~ I watched the first one the other night ~ the whole thing is a battle between good and evil ~ with a little junk thrown in ~ the girl who wrote it wove much into the plot ~ she did well ```

Much can be done with the Lord that would be considered: "Witchcraft" by some ~ most things thought wrong and sinful if done with and by God ~ including speaking to those who have died ~ Saints or your parents when praying ```

Ive seen analysis where they feew parallels between Potter and Jesus.

I love you.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2019, 12:01:22 AM »
Spells don't exist.

Indeed so.  This is my main criticism of Harry Potter on a moral level compared to other fantasy, for example the works of CS Lewis, is that in general I dislike fantasy in which a witch, wizard or warlock who casts spells, with a wand or otherwise, is depicted in a positive light.  This is particularly the case with juvenile novels.  They invite dangerous youthful explorations of the occult; the child who gets a rush from Harry Potter and desires the ability to have magical powers (in the sense of casting spells, vs. illusioneering, which in contrast I think is a healthy performing art talent for children to engage in), is just a Google search away from texts describing dangerous occult practices.

Nor is JK Rowlings a model of Christian piety.  There are other much better works of fantasy much more suitable for Christian youth.  Harry Potter might be suitable for adults and older teenagers with a correct moral disposition, but even then, there is better literary material, and there are better films.  For example, all of the great animated features produced by Walt Disney before his premature repose, and a few of those produced by his successors, particularly during the early years of the Eisner era.

In the past I have joked about having a domestic church with full services from the horologion, assigning the children to the different liturgical functions; obviously I would not actually do that (except perhaps on one occasion if there was enthusiasm among boys for serving in the altar, that they might safely learn how to do things), but I am entirely serious when I say I would caution against the premature reading of Harry Potter and encourage the reading of other, older, better entertainment.

When it comes to children, I think that they should be baptised and raised in the Orthodox faith, encouraged to pursue their natural interests, rewarded for academic, intellectual, athletic and creative accomplishments proportionate to their properly assesed individual ability, not be subjected to corporal punishment, not be burdened with homework but instead complete at school their school work, not be pent up but rather welcomed and encouraged to play outdoors on beautiful days in the spring and summer, well nourished, properly and safely exercised, ensured interaction with peers and playmates, innoculated against diseases, taught decent manners, given the fullest parental love without passive aggression or emotional manipulation, not be granted a tablet device prematurely, nor be given other things potentially harmful, for example, Harry Potter books or certain forms of countercultural music.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2019, 12:16:46 AM »
Why not rail against the talking animals or mythical creatures in C.S. Lewis and Disney productions, which could lead innocent kids to read about pagan and other mythologies and thereby become ensnared in diabolical beliefs? And for that matter I think it putting it kindly to say that the storytelling of the Chronicles of Narnia is lackluster and uneven (I just re-trudged through them this summer)  Could it be that C.S. Lewis and Walt Disney just happen to be people whose work you like? Don't we all recommend things in that way? ;)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2019, 02:29:25 AM »
Why not rail against the talking animals or mythical creatures in C.S. Lewis and Disney productions, which could lead innocent kids to read about pagan and other mythologies and thereby become ensnared in diabolical beliefs? And for that matter I think it putting it kindly to say that the storytelling of the Chronicles of Narnia is lackluster and uneven (I just re-trudged through them this summer)  Could it be that C.S. Lewis and Walt Disney just happen to be people whose work you like? Don't we all recommend things in that way? ;)

Going through actual folk tales, from any culture, would leave the Disney fan crew traumatised. 8)

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2019, 03:51:25 AM »

No, because only a few of the Disney animated films I enjoy, and as far as CS Lewis is concerned, while I like his Space Trilogy, particularly Perelandra and the dystopian conclusion That Hideous Strength, with its vivid and charming description of the beautiful, tiny Bracton University located in what it emerges is the actual Heart of England, an adjacent walled-off wood, in the town of Edgestowe, which alas gets vaporized, I have always since my youth found the Chronicles of Narnia to be remarkably dull.  Only the very first few pages dealing with the wardrobe and the mysterious lamppost were interesting; once the children reach the other side, we find ourselves in Oz sans a tornado.  In fact, less than Oz, since Emerald City is my kind of town (aside from the poisonous sleep-inducing poppy fields; if I were appointed Lord Mayor I would seek Western subsidies in return for burning them, and use the money to replace the multicolored horse-drawn streetcars with a modern rapid transit system, and develop suburbs in the former poppy fields).

And in general, the alternative concern you raise is also negated by Arachne, in that the Disney films are quite a bit brightened up compared to the fairy tales they are based on.  The Brothers Grimm, the various Nordic sagas, the Thousand and One Nights, and so on, are both substantially frightening and sufficiently long, in some cases dramatically so, as to keep away younger and more naive children.  And in general wizards and warlocks and witches are depicted as evil or fraudulent, in L. Frank Baum, for example; the classic film adaptation of the Wizard of Oz manages to depict them as both, in that you have diabolical, yet incompetent, witches, and a fraudulent wizard who is actually an illusionist using smoke and mirrors and a giant projection system.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2019, 04:35:18 AM »
And in general wizards and warlocks and witches are depicted as evil or fraudulent, in L. Frank Baum, for example; the classic film adaptation of the Wizard of Oz manages to depict them as both, in that you have diabolical, yet incompetent, witches, and a fraudulent wizard who is actually an illusionist using smoke and mirrors and a giant projection system.

That's Glinda erasure, and I won't stand for it.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
And in general wizards and warlocks and witches are depicted as evil or fraudulent, in L. Frank Baum, for example; the classic film adaptation of the Wizard of Oz manages to depict them as both, in that you have diabolical, yet incompetent, witches, and a fraudulent wizard who is actually an illusionist using smoke and mirrors and a giant projection system.

ROFL!  You got me Arachne; I forgot about her.  How, I can’t imagine.  Although she falls into the category of a fairy godmother type ala Sleeping Beauty, but she is indeed referred to as a witch.  By the way, we have the Wicked Witch of the East, who was flatened, the Wicked Witch of the West, who was Meeeellllllllllttttteeeeeeedddddddddd (there is a lovely interview with that actress by Rev. Fred Rogers on an episode of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood), the Good Witch of the North, who I forgot about entirely (I remembered the ruby slippers but not how they were obtained), so who lives in the South?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:06:15 PM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »

ROFL!  You got me Arachne; I forgot about her.  How, I can’t imagine.  Although she falls into the category of a fairy godmother type ala Sleeping Beauty, but she is indeed referred to as a witch.

And this is another glorious instance of the infantilisation of fairy tales: only evil magical women are witches - nice magical women have to be fairies. Heh, in traditional folklore, fairies are terrifying; amoral at best, actively malevolent at worst. Calling them Fair Folk is the western equivalent of calling the Furies the Kindly Ones in an attempt to deflect their wrath.

In folk tales of the British Isles, with which Rowling is likely to have been familiar growing up, witches (and wizards) are people with knowledge that the common folk don't have, and they can use that knowledge to help or harm the common folk, depending on their character and the circumstances. They are often seen doing both; after all, a witch who cannot hex cannot heal. 8)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
Of the Oz films I much prefer Return to Oz.

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

ROFL!  You got me Arachne; I forgot about her.  How, I can’t imagine.  Although she falls into the category of a fairy godmother type ala Sleeping Beauty, but she is indeed referred to as a witch.

And this is another glorious instance of the infantilisation of fairy tales: only evil magical women are witches - nice magical women have to be fairies. Heh, in traditional folklore, fairies are terrifying; amoral at best, actively malevolent at worst. Calling them Fair Folk is the western equivalent of calling the Furies the Kindly Ones in an attempt to deflect their wrath.

In folk tales of the British Isles, with which Rowling is likely to have been familiar growing up, witches (and wizards) are people with knowledge that the common folk don't have, and they can use that knowledge to help or harm the common folk, depending on their character and the circumstances. They are often seen doing both; after all, a witch who cannot hex cannot heal. 8)

Good points.

In Ameirca witch craft has been characterized exactly opposite, satanic instead of gnostic or esoteric knowledge. And in typical American fashion, we only see things through our eyes and not the eyes of the creator.
Harry potter is just another in a long line of Good vs Evil stories.
People will take anything ans try to bend it to their beliefs.
I love you.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »
Of the Oz films I much prefer Return to Oz.

Yep.

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »

Good points.

In Ameirca witch craft has been characterized exactly opposite, satanic instead of gnostic or esoteric knowledge. And in typical American fashion, we only see things through our eyes and not the eyes of the creator.

You'll probably like this piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/why-the-british-tell-better-childrens-stories/422859/

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2019, 12:59:07 AM »
Yeh, I think there be nothing evil or against God in Harry Potter ~ clearly a struggle between Good and Evil ```

The Bible is full of Magic ~ magic done with the the help of evil is bad ~ Magic done by and through the Lord is Good ~ wouldn't you say ```
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:10:53 AM by Sethrak »

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
Yeh, I think there be nothing evil or against God in Harry Potter ~ clearly a struggle between Good and Evil ```

The Bible is full of Magic ~ magic done with the the help of evil is bad ~ Magic done by and through the Lord is Good ~ wouldn't you say ```

Id say so.
I love you.

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »

Good points.

You'll probably like this piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/why-the-british-tell-better-childrens-stories/422859/

That is a good article. To sum it up in one sentence, Americans tell stories with moral social issues, while the brits tell stories in a fantasy folklore way.

Personally i love the first 3 star wars more than potter, or lotr. Theres notning like space. But i grew up back then, so maybe im a little biased.
I love you.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »

Is Jesus a magician?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »

Good points.

That is a good article. To sum it up in one sentence, Americans tell stories with moral social issues, while the brits tell stories in a fantasy folklore way.

Personally i love the first 3 star wars more than potter, or lotr. Theres notning like space. But i grew up back then, so maybe im a little biased.

If Star Wars isn't a fairytale, I don't know what is. 'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away' is literally 'Once upon a time'.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2019, 02:35:25 PM »
I still giggle every time a notification from this thread pops up.

Offline CooperDog

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2019, 08:47:30 PM »

Good points.

If Star Wars isn't a fairytale, I don't know what is. 'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away' is literally 'Once upon a time'.

Didnt say it was. Just that i prefer it more.

But, maybe it did happen in a galaxy fat far away, and george lucas is an alien spreading his peoples stories?  LoL
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:48:51 PM by CooperDog »
I love you.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2019, 12:55:39 AM »
Yep, the first Star Wars were good ~ the on and on sequels never seem to work ~ unless we suspend disbelief and make them work without question ```

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
The Holy Bible is full of magic, divination, dreams, spells, foretelling the future, even speaking to those no longer living on earth ~ what is considered witchcraft is only forbidden and evil when done with or by the help of shetan ~ all things done with God and by God are Good ```

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:03 PM »
That's not how things work.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2019, 08:17:29 PM »
Sethrak, are you insinuating that Harry Potter has God-like powers?

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2019, 12:48:48 AM »
No~ I am Not ~ don't tell me what I think ~ I can speak for myself ~ Harry Potter is a made up nobody in a book, a movie ~ I think it is not a book or movie that is against Our God ~ that magic and raising the dead and all else is in the Holy Bible ~ that things of magic done by God are Good ~ magic or anything done by the devil is evil ~ wait a minute ~ let me not get upfenset ~ all you were doing is misquoting me and my thinking ~ Excuse me Eamonomae ~ but ~ Speak for yourself ~ thank youse ```

seth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
Every rational creature has God-like powers.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
Magic of Speaking God's Words into Creation

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
Is Jesus a magician?

Was the Lord's arrival announced by mages/magi(cians) using astrology?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:41:37 AM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
No~ I am Not ~ don't tell me what I think ~ I can speak for myself ~ Harry Potter is a made up nobody in a book, a movie ~ I think it is not a book or movie that is against Our God ~ that magic and raising the dead and all else is in the Holy Bible ~ that things of magic done by God are Good ~ magic or anything done by the devil is evil ~ wait a minute ~ let me not get upfenset ~ all you were doing is misquoting me and my thinking ~ Excuse me Eamonomae ~ but ~ Speak for yourself ~ thank youse ```

I'm not trying to "upfenset" you. But there's a very clear distinction between the capabilities of the devils and the capabilities of God, and the human interactions thereof.

The demons' capabilities are pretty limited and can only do so much. They have the intent to cause harm and destruction, mostly spiritually, but also socially and individually. When asking for demonic guidance, the goal is an immediate, certain benefit. The kind of communication between the demons and people is more one to one, negotiating and bargaining. Very specific rituals are used for magic and demons, involving a combination of many different things, including astrological timing, sinful acts, pagan and demonic invocation/worship, certain ritualistic requirements to be met, certain tools to be used in the aforementioned, etc.

God's capabilities are infinite, as God is omnipotent. The purpose is the salvation of our souls, but also for the functioning of human society and our individual well being. There is no guarantee of an immediate benefit when asking God or His Saints; rather, it's an act of Trust and Love that they will do what's best for the salvation of your soul, and the salvation of others. There is (or should be) no negotiating or bargaining for immediate benefits. To ask God, one simply needs prayer and the Liturgy.

There's clearly a difference between magic, which shares the qualities of the first category, and miracles / Divine Power / Grace, which share the qualities of the second category.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:15:51 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

That was for the purposes of showing that Christ came to both Jews and Gentiles. Far from a ringing endorsement of astrology.

Should we begin worshipping pagan gods when St. Paul saw the Gentiles worshipping the unknown God?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:18:13 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »

Gotta love the equivocation game.

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »

Gotta love the equivocation game.

Actually it's the univocation game.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

That was for the purposes of showing that Christ came to both Jews and Gentiles. Far from a ringing endorsement of astrology.

Should we begin worshipping pagan gods when St. Paul saw the Gentiles worshipping the unknown God?

You must be a peach at coffee hour.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:29 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

You must be a peach at coffee hour.

Do not speak this way to me, accursed infidel!

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »
Is Jesus a magician?

Did Saul contact Samuel through a witch?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
What has my thread become?   :'(

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »
What has my thread become?   :'(

Jesus magic.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
This thread reminds me of when I went to a barbecue in a mental health clinic.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »

Good points.

Indeed so.  It even has magic via the force.  It is a Space Opera, to be sure, but one which leans towards what some people call “Science Fantasy.”  On that note, Arthur C. Clarke famously said any sufficiently advanced technology should be indistinguishable from magic, and the greatest living critic of science fiction and fantasy after the tragic death of his collaborator Peter Norman, that being the Canadian critic John Clute, has, in frustration with the grey area betwixt fantasy and science fiction, advocated the use of “Fantastika” to refer to the two genres in a unified sense, as a meta-genre.

This works because in many of the best cases, it can be really hard to tell the two apart.  Edmond Hamilton, Leigh Brackett and EE “Doc” Smith are obvious examples, the Space Trilogy of CS Lewis even more so, but people forget that even allegedly “hard sci fi” authors like Robert A. Heinlein, wrote, in addition to very technical stories such as The Roads Must Roll or The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, flamboyant space operas like Citizen of the Galaxy and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, fantastic fiction about Mars, such as Stranger in a Strange Land, and straight-up fantasy ranging from “And he built a crooked house” to Waldo, Magic Inc., Job, a Comedy of Justice, and The Number of the Beast, to name just a few.

And conversely, in writers like HP Lovecraft, whose works of supernatural horror are obvious fantasy, there is also a persistant science fiction element as well.

For that matter, Dune, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and, by its own admission in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, that series, all are fantasies as much as they are works of science fiction.  Science fiction which is devoid of a fantastic element tends to be dry and boring; the only author who accomplished it was Heinlein, and he was quite gifted (The Roads Must Roll is literally a story about a network of escalators and moving sidewalks, but it is also thrilling; how does one make escalators and moving walkways exciting?  That in itself comes across as magical, almost).

I have to confess Arachne I greatly admire your appreciation for the genre of fantastic literature.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »

Indeed so.  Although I would propose that what you are referring to could actually be considered a legitimate stylistic difference between American fantasy and European folk stories of the Brothers Grimm variety, which are very dark indeed.  Older American fantasy on the other hand tends to be light and frilly.

Now, I prefer the older European stories, but only some of them, and mainly, Romantic era syntheses thereof.  For example, the Ring cycle of Richard Wagner, which is much more exciting than the Niebelungenlied and the Nordic mythology it was adapted from. 

Out of curiosity, have you ever visited any of the palaces of King Ludwig II?  Schloss Neuschwanstein is fantastic, but sadly incomplete, and also overcrowded; the best part for me are the views between Neuschwanstein and the nearby castle of Hohenschwangau, which rises out of a lower peak in the beautiful Bavarian forest.  However, Schloss Linderhof is absolutely fantastic; it is the only palace King Ludwig II completed, and it is in the most charming town of Oberamgau, and there is a lovely hotel there with a splendid restaurant.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.