Author Topic: Metropolitan Hilarion of ROCOR Defrocks Two Pakistani Priests  (Read 1416 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
Fraud Alert

Metropolitan Hilarion of ROCOR Defrocks Two Pakistani Priests
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/metropolitan-hilarion-of-rocor-defrocks-two-pakistani-priests/
georgy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Metropolitan Hilarion of ROCOR Defrocks Two Pakistani Priests
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
What's the background here?

My understanding is that Fr Cyril had been instrumental in the initial mission in Pakistan. What a shame.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
A shame, indeed. Any further explanation?

And can anyone explain why the ROCOR archdiocese of Eastern America and New York is the one who covers Pakistan?
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
A shame, indeed. Any further explanation?

And can anyone explain why the ROCOR archdiocese of Eastern America and New York is the one who covers Pakistan?

Because he is the First Heirarch of ROCOR.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »
What's the background here?

My understanding is that Fr Cyril had been instrumental in the initial mission in Pakistan. What a shame.

From the link in the OP:
His Beatitude Metropolitan Hilarion (First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Outside Russia) has defrocked two Priests in Pakistan for canonical violations and pastoral disobedience.

The two Priests are Cyril Amer and Anthony Shamaoon. They are involved in several criminal activities including human trafficking.

All believers are hereby advised not to engage with Cyril Amer or Anthony Shamoon in any manner. Believers are also advised not to fund any of their activities in Pakistan or elsewhere. Please be advised that Cyril Amer and his friends are still using the name of ROCOR to raise funds for their illegal activities. All faithful are advised to exercise high caution.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
Oh, I didn't see that in the initial article. Not sure if I missed it or if was added later. That's... a very serious allegation.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
Oh, I didn't see that in the initial article. Not sure if I missed it or if was added later. That's... a very serious allegation.

Quite. Metropolitan Hilarion is known for tolerating a lot, most of the criticism of him that I've heard has been around his exceeding compassion clouding his judgement, not his strictness.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
The two Priests are Cyril Amer and Anthony Shamaoon. They are involved in several criminal activities including human trafficking.

Gross.  Sounds like a job for "village justice". 

Is there any indication of what, if anything, the Church is doing to help victims? 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »
The Mission in Pakistan is still growing, under a different priest. There was an interesting article on Pravoslavie.com just the other day.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/103633.htm

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure these two left for an Old Calendarist schismatic group a few years ago. Not sure why its taken this long to defrock them. The human trafficking thing is new. I had not heard about that.
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure these two left for an Old Calendarist schismatic group a few years ago. Not sure why its taken this long to defrock them. The human trafficking thing is new. I had not heard about that.

Evidently they were suspended some time ago.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »

+1
The Mission in Pakistan is still growing, under a different priest. There was an interesting article on Pravoslavie.com just the other day.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/103633.htm

Glory be to God! Furthemore, there is also one parish with 1 priest under EP.

Anyway, if it's true abotu these 2 defrocked priests - I mean, criminal stuff - we should pray for the flock under them, since they're not aware that priests serving to them are not actually priests and these people chose Orthodoxy in totally Muslim country, so they sacrificed a lot...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »

Because he is the First Heirarch of ROCOR.

Thanks. Makes sense, I suppose. So long as it makes sense that ROCOR has a mission in Sargodha.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »

Sounds about right.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »

Sounds about right.

Assuming it's not that they helped some mother escape the U.S. with her children because the courts wouldn't accept that the father was an abuser. Modern legal terms can be sophistical.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 07:11:30 PM »
We also have a Pakistani priest and mission under the Coptic Orthodox Church guided by HG Bishop Suriel of Melbourne.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »

Sounds about right.

Assuming it's not that they helped some mother escape the U.S. with her children because the courts wouldn't accept that the father was an abuser. Modern legal terms can be sophistical.

I agree.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »

Sounds about right.

I agree.

Friends of my family's who are missionaries in Honduras underwent something of the sort when they accepted a refugee and her child from an American pastor they knew. In that case, the mother was running from a court decision that took custody from her for having violated a previous custody agreement; but she violated the previous agreement because she had decided the child shouldn't see the other legal parent because she was homosexual. I'm not saying I agree with what she did, or what the pastor did, or what our friends in Honduras did -- however, as wrong as their choices may have been, to see them described in the American newsmedia over and over as an international human trafficking ring was unsettling.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »
We also have a Pakistani priest and mission under the Coptic Orthodox Church guided by HG Bishop Suriel of Melbourne.
Excellent!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
According to this, the community has been received into some Old Believers group (which one, I have no idea):

http://chelorg.com/2017/07/10/residents-of-pakistan-are-transferred-to-the-russian-old-believers/

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »

Sounds about right.

I agree.
And if the father wasn't an abuser......?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »
According to this, the community has been received into some Old Believers group (which one, I have no idea):

http://chelorg.com/2017/07/10/residents-of-pakistan-are-transferred-to-the-russian-old-believers/

The article being quoted in the one above is found here, on the website of the Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church under Metropolitan Korniliy (Titov). Fr. Cyril had evidently been received by them sometimes in the spring, and the Facebook page for his group invokes the Metropolitan aplenty. Their website is only partially converted to their new allegiances but he is likewise listed on their clergy page.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:32:42 AM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 03:55:42 AM »

This seems unsurprising, but the Old Believers will probably suffer for it...  Pray for that church.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.