Author Topic: Hand Crosses?  (Read 412 times)

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
Hand Crosses?
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »
Does anybody know where can I acquire a hand cross? Or are they just for priests?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:12:04 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Hand Crosses?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:23:53 PM »
Some parishes might sell some in their gift shops.  They're not just for priests.  It's nice to remind you to always carry the cross.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:29 PM »
just for priests

Not according to the OO question.  I had a handmade hand cross that I carried on walks, that I made with leftover material after constructing a decorative cross for Chorepiscopus George of the Assyrian Church of the East in the pattern of the Assyrian church to commemorate the reopening of his Cathedral.

My hand cross was originally intended to be not a pectoral but a heavy cross to be worn under the shirt for devotional purposes, but I had what one might call some craftmanship fail and after having done the fairly elaborate Assyrian cross correctly, managed to put the hole for the chain through the wrong sides of the cross, like an ankh only with a tiny loop.   When I realized my error, it was too late to fix. It was a slight moment of banging my head with my fist; I think if I were an Assyrian I would exclaim in the Assyrian Neo Aramaic tongue "It's mother cried!" 

The hand cross was decorated with a jerusalem cross pattern, and I also used it as a placemarker when reading sacred scripture or a liturgical book.

My home thurible also came from the Assyrians, but St. Anthony's Coptic Monastery has some beautiful and inexpensive thuribles which are smaller and more ornately decorated, that I might augment it.  I also need to learn the art of proper management of vigil lamps (oil, wick); right now I use electric candles for this purpose by my icons, which is admittedly lame.   :-[
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
Ebay is a good source of nice ones, including Ethiopian.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
I have this one. You can find similar ones on Amazon and eBay.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
Ebay is a good source of nice ones, including Ethiopian.

Very true.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
I'm looking for an new Ethiopian pectoral cross and Ebay has a lot of options. And in the church in Liverpool where I often pray, there is a lovely small Ethiopian hand cross on the altar that I'd like to get one like. I have some large Ethiopian hand crosses but they are indeed rather large.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
I'm looking for an new Ethiopian pectoral cross and Ebay has a lot of options. And in the church in Liverpool where I often pray, there is a lovely small Ethiopian hand cross on the altar that I'd like to get one like. I have some large Ethiopian hand crosses but they are indeed rather large.

Have you seen the Syriac Orthodox pectoral crosses and hand crosses?  In my archdiocese, the pectoral cross worn by Syriac priests is beautiful, gold, with amethyst gems, which align with the purple color associated with the clergy, whereas the bishops have pectoral crosses with rubies.

Syriac Orthodox bishops priest and give blessings holding a large hand cross with a distinctive red velvet or silk cloth suspended from it.  I have not seen a priest use one of them.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
I have this one. You can find similar ones on Amazon and eBay.

That's really pretty!
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.