Author Topic: How does the Coptic Church make the sign of the cross  (Read 555 times)

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
How does the Coptic Church make the sign of the cross
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:28:09 PM »
Could someone please explain to me how the Coptic Church does the sign of the Cross?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:28:30 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: How does the Coptic Church make the sign of the cross
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »
Interested to hear for sure, since as far as I know only Byzantines (and Muslims) do crossings (or processions) widdershins.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »
Could someone please explain to me how the Coptic Church does the sign of the Cross?

All OOs cross themselves with their right hand first by forehead (In the name of the Father), then by the navel (and the Son), and then left shoulder to right shoulder (and the Holy Spirit, One God! Amen!)

Hand configurations vary.  There isn't one particular manner to do so.  Some use the thumb, some the index finger, others put three fingers together, others use a more complex hand configuration called the Christogram (google it).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:23:21 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:24:06 PM »

All OOs cross themselves with their right hand first by forehead (In the name of the Father), then by the navel (and the Son), and then left shoulder to right shoulder (and the Holy Spirit, One God! Amen!)

Hand configurations vary.  There isn't one particular manner to do so.  Some use the thumb, some the index finger, others put three fingers together, others use a more complex hand configuration called the Christogram (google it).
Armenians conclude with an open palm over the middle of your sternum on the "Amen."

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »

They do it the same way Roman Catholics do.
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:28:22 PM »

And other churches of the West. And the Far East. And anywhere that isn't Byzantine. As a Greek by jurisdiction, I just comfort myself by realizing left- vs. right-handed direction is just a matter of perspective.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
The Far East Assyrians actually go from right to left.  If I'm not mistaken, the Greek Catholics might also be the same as the Greek Orthodox as well
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
The Far East Assyrians actually go from right to left.  If I'm not mistaken, the Greek Catholics might also be the same as the Greek Orthodox as well

Oh well that's nice. What direction do they process?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

Nope.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »

Oh well that's nice. What direction do they process?

I don't know the direction of their procession around the church.