Author Topic: Why don't the OO accept Chalcedon  (Read 672 times)

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
Why don't the OO accept Chalcedon
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
I'm new to Oriental Orthodoxy and would like to know, why the OO reject the council of Chalcedon?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:05:16 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Why don't the OO accept Chalcedon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
Oh boy...
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:44:57 PM »
We seriously need a FAQ section for OOs.

Hmmmmmm...trying to see how to answer this one without stepping on toes...

Our Church took a particular theological principle that we felt was violated by this council.  We still stand by this principle today, but we understand that a whole lot of the problems at that time, according to discussions throughout the centuries and more recently in the 1960s, were more political and semantics than they were dogmatic.  Nevertheless, we stressed the principle of oneness in Christ, but to say "one nature" does not mean the integrity of either the humanity or the divinity is lost.  "One nature" was the preferred theological language of St. Cyril of Alexandria, and it was this emphasis that also stressed the importance of our oneness and deification in Christ.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Holy See of Cilicia
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
+100
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »
We seriously need a FAQ section for OOs.

Yes, that would be useful.  :)  Likely a lot of work, though.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »

Hmmmmmm...trying to see how to answer this one without stepping on toes...

You've already said too much. Lol
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »
They do though, kinda.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline Tonedawg

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »
What Mina said!
But at the time, we understood it to be Nestorianizing! But most of these issues we fixed in the past, we should focus on the present now, both families have a lot in common and agreed on a lot of the same terminology that was so divisive in the past.   
“How needful the human being is of service of the spirit, in an age where materialism, atheism, apostasy and deviant intellectual trends prevail. How needful people are to see Christ in our lives and to smell His sweet fragrance in us." St. Kyrillos (Cyril) VI

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
What Mina said!
But at the time, we understood it to be Nestorianizing! But most of these issues we fixed in the past, we should focus on the present now, both families have a lot in common and agreed on a lot of the same terminology that was so divisive in the past.
Tonedawg,
One of my hopes is for reconciliation between EOs and OOs, so I like alot of what you are saying. And I agree that our communities have a lot in common. So I would like to talk more with you about what you wrote.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:43:41 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »
St. Cyril's Christological definition is accepted by EO's and OO's. That's good enough for me.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »
I'm new to Oriental Orthodoxy and would like to know, why the OO reject the council of Chalcedon?

1. The Tome of Leo
2. The exoneration of Ibas the heresiarch
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.