Author Topic: Deaconesses in OO  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
Deaconesses in OO
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »
I heard that HH Pope Tawadros II appointed a deaconess, is this true and are deaconesses allowed in OO?
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Deaconesses in OO
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »
There are deaconesses, yes.  There aren't so many, and what they are and what they do varies depending on the particular OO Church in question, but they certainly exist. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:03:33 PM »
At present, female deacons in the Coptic Church have very little liturgical function.  They're usually consecrated servants for social services.  In the convents, they might have a larger liturgical role.

In the Armenian Church, if I'm not mistaken, they might have a liturgical role in a regular parish, if there are any.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:04:35 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
Long explanation of the Armenian deaconess, a relatively rare and exceptional office that is virtually non-existent today.

http://armenianweekly.com/2013/07/06/a-nearly-forgotten-history-women-deacons-in-the-armenian-church/

In other words, the Armenian Church is not in the general practice of ordaining deaconesses, particularly since female monasticism is also virtually non-existent today.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »
Long explanation of the Armenian deaconess, a relatively rare and exceptional office that is virtually non-existent today.

http://armenianweekly.com/2013/07/06/a-nearly-forgotten-history-women-deacons-in-the-armenian-church/

In other words, the Armenian Church is not in the general practice of ordaining deaconesses, particularly since female monasticism is also virtually non-existent today.
That's sad... why?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
Found this accidentaly:

A doll presenting Armenian deaconess
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »
Found this accidentaly:

Oh wow you can actually purchase it! I know what my daughters are getting for Christmas. ;)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »

I would advise the poster to search on thos fprum for all the other discussions on this topic.

This is a video of an Armenian Orthodox deaconess chanting the Gospel at Ortakoy Holy Mother of God Armenian Church, Istanbul, May 2016
https://www.facebook.com/ortakoymeryemanakilisesi/videos/vb.814716448597803/1033845960018183/?type=2&theater

Also one of the articles previoulsy posted mentioned that an Armenian deaconess travelled to the USA a few years ago.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »
Youssef, I would note that having women in the choir is not the same as having deaconesses.  Pope Shenouda did apparenrly consecrate several, and more have been consecrated, for social work in Egypt, some of whom I think are connected with monasteries and others of whom are involved in the operation of the large number of Coptic orphanages (required due to the evil Islamic law, present in the Egyptian civil code, that forbids adoption; as a result the Coptic church has to operate orphanages instead of the foster parenting and adoption that has become the norm in the US, Europe and elsewhere, due to Islamic cruelty).

The Coptic Church is definitely in the minority among Orthodox churches in that the choir of psaltis and readers lacks women.   This is not an element of the Oriental Orthodox faith but rather an aspect of Coptic Orthodox liturgical tradition, one which I am comfortable with and see no reason to change (just as I see no reason to remove the female choirs from Syriac and Armenian churches).  It's just an aspect of the Coptic liturgical rite.   At a Coptic convent however, one would likely see the Psaltis and Readers offices being held by the women.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 10:04:23 PM »

I would advise the poster to search on thos fprum for all the other discussions on this topic.

This is a video of an Armenian Orthodox deaconess chanting the Gospel at Ortakoy Holy Mother of God Armenian Church, Istanbul, May 2016
https://www.facebook.com/ortakoymeryemanakilisesi/videos/vb.814716448597803/1033845960018183/?type=2&theater

Also one of the articles previoulsy posted mentioned that an Armenian deaconess travelled to the USA a few years ago.

The link isn't working.  Could you post another?  And more info about the deaconess' journey to the US please?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »

I'm Armenian. I know they exist. But as I said, they're exceedingly rare, and what you've posted doesn't change or contradict anything I wrote. It's not like there are deaconesses being ordained on a regular basis, for normal parish life--they're rare, and limited to very particular communities and situations. Cool video, though.

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 04:34:06 AM »
Are deaconesses in the Orthodox Churches ordained in one of the major orders or, despite the name, into a minor order, like reader or porter?
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 04:53:28 AM »
Are deaconesses in the Orthodox Churches ordained in one of the major orders or, despite the name, into a minor order, like reader or porter?

In the Eastern Orthodox Church (not the OO) the ordination of a deaconess is a major order. 
English translation of Ordination Service for Deaconess in Eastern Orthodox Church

https://web.archive.org/web/20160311134142/http://www.anastasis.org.uk/woman_deacon.htm

Ordination Service for Deaconess in Georgian Orthodox Church
https://catholicapedia.net/Documents/Revue-de-l.Orient-chretien/19-1914_revue-de-l.orient-ch_paris.pdf

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »

The link isn't working.  Could you post another?  And more info about the deaconess' journey to the US please?

IreneOlinyk could you please post another link to this video and the accompanying article?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:10:28 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »

IreneOlinyk could you please post another link to this video and the accompanying article?

The link worked for me Antonious.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »

For me it says: "Sorry, this content isn't available right now...The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »
Huh. It works for me too. "Archdeaconess Hripsime" -- fantastic!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »
What is the name of the Facebook page so I can search for it?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »

For me it says: "Sorry, this content isn't available right now...The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

I am guessing it was unavailable and your browser may be working off of the cache file. I confirmed that it also works in firefox private browsing which may work if you want to keep your cache.

I suggest trying this page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/ortakoymeryemanakilisesi/videos/?ref=page_internal
and clicking on the May 31 2016 video. I cannot imagine this not getting around the problem.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
ps - I do not have a facebook account, so usually I cannot view the content of a facebook page.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
Thank you, Opus!  It worked.  :)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »

Is that the name of the deaconess in the video?  Or the one who visited the US?

And does anyone know where I can read about that please?

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »
Found this accidentaly:

I need this. Immediately.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »

Archdeaconess Hripsime is the name of the deaconess in the video.  I do  not understand why the link is not working for you. 
I will look through my files and find the article you asked for.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »

Archdeaconess Hripsime is the name of the deaconess in the video.  I do  not understand why the link is not working for you. 
I will look through my files and find the article you asked for.

Thank you for your help.  :)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Antonius, here is the quote about the Armenian Orthodox deaconess who visited the USA.

“Ervine writes of Sasunian: ‘In 1986, Deacon Hripsime Sasunian visited the Western Diocese of America, where she served the liturgy in a different parish of the Diocese on each Sunday of her visit. "

Also: 
“In 1984, Archbishop Vatche Hovsepian, Primate of the Western Diocese, ordained Seta Simonian Atamian acolyte at the holy altar of St. Andrew Armenian Church, in Cupertino, Calif. In 2002, Archbishop Gisak Mouradian, Primate of Argentina, ordained Maria Ozkul to the diaconate."

http://www.armenianweekly.com/2013/07/06/a-nearly-forgotten-history-women-deacons-in-the-armenian-church/print/

See also:
Ervine, Roberta R. “The Armenian Church’s Women Deacons.” St. Nerses Theological Review (New Rochelle) 12 (2007).
Oghlukian, Fr. Abel. The Deaconess In The Armenian Church – A Brief Survey. New Rochelle, NY: St. Nerses Armenian Seminary, 1994.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Thank you so much, Irene!  :)