Author Topic: Why ecumenism holds me back from the Oriental Orthodox  (Read 491 times)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
Why ecumenism holds me back from the Oriental Orthodox
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »
I'm going through a spiritual crisis at the moment, I post on Euphrosynoscafe and know their Opinion of the Oriental Orthodox as they regard them as Monophysite. But I'm still drawn to the Oriental Church. But the main thing that keeps me back is the meetings with the Pope of Rome. Can somebody give their thoughts on this?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Re: Why ecumenism holds me back from the Oriental Orthodox
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
Why are meetings with the Pope of Rome so troubling to you? 

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
Because I believe that the Pope of Rome is heretical. I personally believe we shouldn't be initiating dialog with heretics.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
Because I believe that the Pope of Rome is heretical. I personally believe we shouldn't be initiating dialog with heretics.

Personally, that sounds a lot like staying with the ninety-nine sheep and letting that one lost sheep go and kill himself. 

I'm aware that it's more complicated than that (it always is), but I think a similar sentiment is really at the heart of a lot of "anti-ecumenism".  The ecumenical movement surely has its problems, but the wholesale retreat and self-imposed quarantine its opponents often advocate is also problematic.  The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

What do you think goes on in these meetings with the Pope of Rome, by the way?  Why are the meetings themselves a problem?   

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »
I guess I could just be paranoid that every dialog they initiate could be one step closer to unity. Sorry for my anxious behavior.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
I guess I could just be paranoid that every dialog they initiate could be one step closer to unity. Sorry for my anxious behavior.

I don't think we're any closer to unity with Rome than we were before these meetings became a somewhat regular occurrence.  Frankly, I think they are worth having for a lot of non-doctrinal reasons. 

Don't apologise for being concerned for the purity of the faith.  It's a good instinct, even if it misfires now and then (not saying that happened here, btw).   

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Eastern Orthodox Patriarchs have also met with Pope Francis, e.g. Patriarch Kirill of the Russian Orthodox Church met him in Cuba last year. It doesn't mean we are about to become Catholic, but it does mean we can work together on issues that affect us jointly. In the case of that meeting, there was a focus on helping persecuted Christians in the Middle East, which is something we can do together without any compromise on doctrine.