Author Topic: An Index of Syriac Literature by Sebastian Brock (PDF from archive.org)  (Read 481 times)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
https://ia800300.us.archive.org/22/items/ABriefOutlineOfSyriacLiterature/BrockABriefOutlineOfSyriacLiterature1997noSamplePassages1_text.pdf

Those interested in the Syriac Orthodox Church, as well as those interested in the other Syriac communities (the Maronites, Assyrians, the Chalcedonians, and the extinct Gnostics such as the Tatianists and the author of The Acts of Thomas, etc) might find this work rather useful.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
This by the way is my favorite work of Syriac Orthodox literature:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/asia/lsbh/lsbh26.htm

Comtaining amusing and profitable sayings and legends, it concludes with a most pious set of momento mori, ending with a mourning elegy of grief the compiler, Mar Bar Hebraeus, the Maphrian or Catholicos of the Syriac Orthodox Church in what is now Iraq and Iran, for his beloved Patriarch who had reposed in the Lord.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
This by the way is my favorite work of Syriac Orthodox literature:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/asia/lsbh/lsbh26.htm

Comtaining amusing and profitable sayings and legends, it concludes with a most pious set of momento mori, ending with a mourning elegy of grief the compiler, Mar Bar Hebraeus, the Maphrian or Catholicos of the Syriac Orthodox Church in what is now Iraq and Iran, for his beloved Patriarch who had reposed in the Lord.

From the sayings of the Greek philosophers:

X. Aristotle commanded Alexander [the Great], saying, "Do not reveal thy secret unto two men lest, if it be revealed, thou be unable to be certain which of the two hath made it public, and if thou punishest both of them thou wilt then certainly inflict an injury upon him that revealed it not, and if thou forgivest both of them thou wilt not do even an act of grace because of him who revealed it not."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.