OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:49:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, new to orthodoxy  (Read 1178 times) Average Rating: 0
newbiefound

« on: September 14, 2005, 01:57:24 PM »

I am completely new to orthodoxy,ÂÂ  I have been going to RCIA for a week now and recently I've looked into the big issues that the two of you differ on.ÂÂ  After studying these issues the best I could I came to realize that I favor your position on Original Sin (that it doesn't exist), the Pope not being supreme, and requiring everyone to take in the body and blood during communion.ÂÂ  There may be other major issues of controversy that I'm not aware of and if so please bring them to my attention if you would be so kind.ÂÂ  Today I looked into local orthodox churches and I didn't know how to get started.ÂÂ  I'll start calling them a few moments after I post this message.ÂÂ  

Please help me, how do I get started?ÂÂ  Is there a learning program I must endure before I can take in the communion?ÂÂ  Which church would be best for a beginner in the faith like myself?ÂÂ  Greek Orthodox?  Do you guys use the catechism?ÂÂ  Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

newbiefound
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 02:02:10 PM by newbiefound » Logged
donkeyhotay

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »

Welcome.

This website has a pretty complete list of churches.

Talk to one of the priests at one of the churches in your area.   A priest can best guide you on your spiritual path.  Some parishes have classes, and some priests will work with catechumens one on one.

I can't stress this enough:  Step one - talk to the priest.  This is another one of those subtle differences between Orthodoxy and the rest of Christendom.  We think of the priest less as a mediator, and more like a physician for our spiritual health.  And just like a physician, everyone is treated individually according to their own condition.

As for some of your other questions:  The best church for a beginner is the one in which you feel most welcome.  Just like anywhere else, some churches are more welcoming of newcomers than others.  That is why talking to the priest first is so important.  If you find a priest who is interested in your spiritual well-being, and heartily invites you to Divine Liturgy, chances are his parish will likewise welcome you.  I feel fortunate that in my area, all the EO churches are welcoming to visitors and newcomers (I happened to choose the Greek parish).

To my knowledge, there is no official EO catechism.  There are a number of books which might act as such:  Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Way, and Clark Carlton's The Faith come to mind, but really, the priest can best direct your studies. 

God bless you on your spiritual journey.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: