Author Topic: Greatest Theologian in your opinion?  (Read 10634 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
Re: Greatest Theologian in your opinion?
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
Why would the Church glorify Jan Hus?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »

Metropolitan Christopher of Prague, for one, expressed the opinion that Jan Hus and Jerome of Prague were martyrs for the Orthodox faith. He also claims that the Churches of Greece and Cyprus agree with him on this. I have not seen anything else corroborating this.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »

Metropolitan Christopher of Prague, for one, expressed the opinion that Jan Hus and Jerome of Prague were martyrs for the Orthodox faith. He also claims that the Churches of Greece and Cyprus agree with him on this. I have not seen anything else corroborating this.

Also one of Polish Orthodox proffesors says that Jan Hus was persecuted for coming back to the Moravian Orthodox tradition.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Greatest Theologian in your opinion
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »

Also one of Polish Orthodox proffesors says that Jan Hus was persecuted for coming back to the Moravian Orthodox tradition.

Indeed so.  Jan Hus, like many Czechs, was incensed by the imposition of the Latin Rite and denying the chalice to the laity.  This prompted the formation of several churches which I see as attempts by the Czechs to restore what they had previously, including the Moravians and the Utraquists (who used the Latin Rite but allowed the laity to partake of the chalice).  I can find no theological fault with the Utraquists.

In the case of the Moravians, they were so severely persecuted and chased across central Europe that relatively few remained when they settled in Saxony on the estate of Count Zinzendorf.  By that time, they were tired and bedraggled, with little left in the way of clergy or a clear understanding of their faith; their plight was arguably worse than that of the Assyrian Church of the East in the early 20th century.  While living in the safety of Zizendorf’s lands, they came naturally to look up to him as a holy man, a divine agent who had saved their lives, and as a result Zinzendorf’s various Pietist theological errors took root, and the Moravian theology took on a disagreeable Pietist Protestant bent.

I recently watched a video of one of their recent Sunday services, and it looked like a standard Lutheran, Anglican or Methodist service; I saw nothing offensive, and at the very least the Moravians are not iconoclasts or Calvinists.  They have a strong Eucharistic focus and retain some Orthodox customs like the Agape.  I believe ecumenical reconciliation with the Moravians is possible and potentially in the future of the Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church.

That church, meanwhile, I think it should be stressed, is the true heir to Jan Hus and the Utraquists; it restores everything they were missing.  It has evolved beyond a church catering largely to the ethnic minority of Rusyns into a proper national Orthodox church, which I believe will grow to fill the gap left by the withering and decrepit Roman Catholic church in that region, and which unlike the Carpathian Greek Catholic Church, is not limited to a specific ethnolinguistic group (e.g. Rusyns), but rather embraces the whole lot of Czechs, Bohemians, Carpathians, Moravians and Slovaks.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »
Is he still actually Metropolitan of Prague? I've seen some strange stuff online within the Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia trying to figure out if Jan Hus was actually venerated there, so I gave up. (I care because I'm part Slovak)
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
Is he still actually Metropolitan of Prague? I've seen some strange stuff online within the Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia trying to figure out if Jan Hus was actually venerated there, so I gave up. (I care because I'm part Slovak)

No, he is no longer a ruling bishop. If what he and Dominika's prof say is a common opinion, I imagine Jan Hus is quietly venerated even if not officially glorified.

There was a real drive among at least some Hussites to unite with Orthodoxy, and their envoy to Constantinople converted. Unfortunately war and other events made further talks impracticable.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
An interesting article in Czech summarizes Orthodox attitudes to Jan Hus over the centuries. At first he seems to have been mostly relegated to the Protestant camp and condemned accordingly- this is easy to understand since the Hussite movement had been thoroughly appropriated by the Protestants and the Catholics were all too willing to concede it. In the 19th century a new attitude emerged, with many Orthodox scholars of a pan-Slavic bent arguing for Jan Hus' orthodoxy. In the early 20th century some Czech Orthodox applied, twice, to the Russian Holy Synod to canonize Hus; the Synod refused to make a ruling either way. However the Church in Prague began to serve a panakhida for Hus and continues to do so every July 5.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:24:57 PM by Iconodule »
- Berdyaev

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
An interesting article in Czech summarizes Orthodox attitudes to Jan Hus over the centuries. At first he seems to have been mostly relegated to the Protestant camp and condemned accordingly- this is easy to understand since the Hussite movement had been thoroughly appropriated by the Protestants and the Catholics were all too willing to concede it. In the 19th century a new attitude emerged, with many Orthodox scholars of a pan-Slavic bent arguing for Jan Hus' orthodoxy. In the early 20th century some Czech Orthodox applied, twice, to the Russian Holy Synod to canonize Hus; the Synod refused to make a ruling either way. However the Church in Prague began to serve a panakhida for Hus and continues to do so every July 5.

Very interesting indeed.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.