Author Topic: George R.R. Martin Fans, Rejoice  (Read 732 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
George R.R. Martin Fans, Rejoice
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
Game of Thrones forever: HBO developing 4 different spinoffs

HBO is doubling down — no, quadrupling down — on its epic quest to replace Game of Thrones. The pay TV network is determined to find a way to continue the most popular series in the company’s history and has taken the highly unusual step of developing four different ideas from different writers. The move represents a potentially massive expansion of the popular fantasy universe created by author George R.R. Martin. If greenlit, the eventual show or shows would also mark the first time HBO has ever made a follow-up series to one of its hits...
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: George R.R. Martin Fans, Rejoice
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »
I think Martin's had his moment, it's time for Moorcock to get some shows.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »

Nah, someone'll try to give the Chronicles of Prydain a gritty makeover first.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »

I agree I think Martin's time has come and gone.  HBO is gonna finish the story before the final books are released (assuming Martin ever finishes them) and Martin is a millionaire.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
HBO has a chance for another cash cow, but you all really think they'll pass because... why exactly?  I'm not heavily invested either way; I enjoy the TV show but after reading the first novel I didn't have much interest in reading any more. This is pretty much the same thing with The Hobbit, though... sure they made a boatload of money off LOTR, but afterwards they not only went back and did the earlier material, but also stretched it out over 3 movies to maximize the returns on their investment. As far as I understand it there is lots of backstory and side stories to work with. The 'Dunk and Egg' stuff, from what I've heard, sounds like it'd be a bit different: more swashbuckling adventure, more humor, less dour glaring and killing and so on.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:45:11 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline AlioshaKaramazov

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
At this pace we'll have these spin-offs before Martin finishes The Winds of Winter.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Gross
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »

Or at least some kind of decent film adaptation, one would hope (Disney's Black Cauldron was terribly dull).

When you think about it, David Cronenberg's A History of Violence is a gritty makeover of Sister Act.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:44:33 AM »

Or at least some kind of decent film adaptation, one would hope (Disney's Black Cauldron was terribly dull).

I've never seen it, but I'm going to assume not enough necromancy and the ending was changed to be happier.

When you think about it, David Cronenberg's A History of Violence is a gritty makeover of Sister Act.
Watched Sister Act with a couple of my kids a few weeks back, and after the end I actually turned to my wife and made a joke about giving the franchise a gritty reboot. Now I know. A History of Violence is one of those I always meant to get around to, but haven't yet despite having a real soft spot for noir.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »

We could pool our pennies and crowdfund an adaptation of The Sarantine Mosaic, if you prefer...
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 01:41:16 AM »
lol...

George R.R. Martin Says Fifth Potential Game of Thrones Spinoff in Development

Game of Thrones scribe George R.R. Martin has revealed that there are potentially five spinoff Game of Thrones series in development, one more than the originally reported four. In a blog post, Martin said that the fifth is a recent development. "We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five," the author wrote...

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
In other news...

'Game of Thrones' was pirated more than a billion times - far more than it was watched legally

HBO’s “Game of Thrones” isn’t only popular with the network’s subscribers. The show’s seventh season, which wrapped up on Aug. 27, was pirated 1.03 billion times as of Sept. 3...

The season seven premiere made headlines for its record-breaking legal viewership of 16.1 million viewers who watched the show either live or later on HBO’s streaming platform, Variety reported. That number pales in comparison to its illegal downloads or steams: a whopping 187.4 million...

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
That's the nature of the modern economy. If they made it easier and worthwhile to purchase it, then people will. It's all about incentives. If there is no incentive to purchase it, and a huge incentive to watch it illegally, that's what people will do.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
When did the gritty reboot phenomenon take hold?  nBSG was in 2003, but I recall something before that...
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
I'm only on book three.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 12:58:26 AM »
Does anyone find Martin's cosmology very interesting? I think he does a good job with the intrigue etc amongst the nations/leaders but the fantasy side of it I always found lackluster ... also the geography of the world is dumb. I've only read the books.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
I'm only on book three.

I don't know about the show, but it's after book three that the series sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooows down. Book four is basically "everyone takes a long walk, sees something, and then walks some more."