Author Topic: Liturgy differences after Pascha  (Read 555 times)

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
Liturgy differences after Pascha
« on: May 08, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
I was getting a bit lost as to what should be sung where during the Liturgy yesterday, e.g "Christ is risen from the dead" was sung in various places that I wasn't expecting it, we sang "The Angel Cried" instead of "It is very meet to bless thee", but we didn't sing the Beatitudes. Does anyone know of an online guide as to how the liturgy works during this season? Also, do the changes continue until Ascension or until Pentecost?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Liturgy differences after Pascha
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »
Of course, it varies a bit from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and even from parish to parish. The changes are until the Ascension, but from the Ascension to Pentecost there still some changes, e.g still neither the Heavenly King nor We have seen the truly Light are chanted.

Generally speaking, I think these ones are applicable for every EO jurisdiction:
1. Christ is risen until Ascension in the beginning of the Liturgy and instead of We have seen the truly Light and Heavenly King ; from Ascension instead of We have seen the truly Light Ascension troparion is chanted
2. The Angel cried until Ascension instead of It is truly meet; from Ascension its own anti-axion instead of It is truly meet
3. No kneeling until Vespers of Pentecost Sunday
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
Of course, it varies a bit from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and even from parish to parish. The changes are until the Ascension, but from the Ascension to Pentecost there still some changes, e.g still neither the Heavenly King nor We have seen the truly Light are chanted.

Generally speaking, I think these ones are applicable for every EO jurisdiction:
1. Christ is risen until Ascension in the beginning of the Liturgy and instead of We have seen the truly Light and Heavenly King ; from Ascension instead of We have seen the truly Light Ascension troparion is chanted
2. The Angel cried until Ascension instead of It is truly meet; from Ascension its own anti-axion instead of It is truly meet

The use of Paschal antiphons isn't universal?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »

Only during Paschal Week.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:39:50 AM »

We're still using them, is this common to some particular tradition?

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »

We're still using them, is this common to some particular tradition?

Well, many traditions (Greeks, Arabs, Lemkos - including those ones in the Polish Church, probably Albanians etc.) use these antiphons, excluding the third one, on most of the Sundays during the liturgical year. So, these traditions use these antiphons on Sundays of the Paschal period too. I've noticed in my Antiochian Arabic app that Sundays of the Paschal periods have these two antiphons as usual plus the third Paschal antiphon.

Edit: in Poland, excluding Lemkos' parishes, on the Sundays after Pascha (well, at my parish after the Antipascha Sunday, since in our practice, as it's the 2nd parishional feast, the Liturgy is complety according to the Paschal rubrics) we sing psalm 102 and Beautidues; in monasteries, e.g Holy Mount Grabarka, to the Beautidues there are added special troparions of the particular Sundays that are prescribed in the Pentecostarion.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:08:06 PM by Dominika »

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »

Thank you :)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
Edit: in Poland, excluding Lemkos' parishes, on the Sundays after Pascha (well, at my parish after the Antipascha Sunday, since in our practice, as it's the 2nd parishional feast, the Liturgy is complety according to the Paschal rubrics) we sing psalm 102 and Beautidues

As I have understood it, based on fairly cursory reading, this is the practice of the Sabbaite typikon that predominates in Russia, Ukraine, and some other Slavic churches, as well as most monasteries. I believe Lemkos like other Rusyns follow the general practice codified by St Peter Mogila. The Greek practice, codified in the Violakes typikon, is similar.

“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum