Author Topic: The date of saint George feast  (Read 343 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
The date of saint George feast
« on: May 06, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
Saint George feast is celebrated on the 23rd of April. So, this century according to the old calendar it's the 6th of May.
But I find it surprising - and it happens not only this year, but actually, every year - that some new calendar communities celebrate this feast also on the 6th May. And it is not eveng according to jurisdiction or country, since I find in Syria or Greece some parishes celebrating it on the 23rd April, and some on the 6th May. It's the case also of (some? all?) Bulgars.

I know that if Pascha is after the 23rd April (new calendar), the feast is rather (but also, not always!) moved on Paschal Monday, as some hymns of st. George feasts relate to the Resurrection time. But what's for other cases, like this year?

Does anybody know something about it?

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: The date of saint George feast
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B3%D1%8C%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BD

Can translate it to english.

St. George is national feast of our country and then of our city. He is protector of our army.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:53:27 AM by Indocern »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
Saint George feast is celebrated on the 23rd of April. So, this century according to the old calendar it's the 6th of May.
But I find it surprising - and it happens not only this year, but actually, every year - that some new calendar communities celebrate this feast also on the 6th May. And it is not eveng according to jurisdiction or country, since I find in Syria or Greece some parishes celebrating it on the 23rd April, and some on the 6th May. It's the case also of (some? all?) Bulgars.

I know that if Pascha is after the 23rd April (new calendar), the feast is rather (but also, not always!) moved on Paschal Monday, as some hymns of st. George feasts relate to the Resurrection time. But what's for other cases, like this year?

Does anybody know something about it?

I can't speak for EO practice, but this happens a lot in India(n Church), where St George is rather popular and many churches are named for him.  After the switch to the new calendar in the 1950s, the day on which St George's feast occurred switched from (civil) 6 May to (civil) 23 April, coinciding with the date in the liturgical books.  But not all the parishes switched their annual celebrations (i.e., festival, processions) to 23 April, so some celebrate on the "new" date and others on the "old" date.  In places with more than one church dedicated to him, or where more than one parish wants to honour him, it's not uncommon for each to pick which date they'll celebrate on, and so St George's day becomes more like St George's fortnight.  In America, for example, some St George parishes celebrated in April, some this weekend, and at least one is celebrating next weekend (!).   
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
My parish is named for St. George. We're in the GOAA. We celebrated the feast on the 23rd.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
My parish is named for St. George. We're in the GOAA. We celebrated the feast on the 23rd.

My Antiochian Parish named for St George as well, it was also celebrated on the 23rd.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:19:07 PM by William T »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
I forgot to add that I don't recall any other saint with such situation, and that's the fact it makes me curious.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

Mine too!
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.