Author Topic: Narthex - what is it?  (Read 219 times)

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Narthex - what is it?
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
Where does one draw the line: secular concert singing, secular dancing, churchly dancing, acrobatics?
Is there a canon on the question of dancing in church?

The Church restricted Ivan the Terrible to the Narthex when he was excommunicated.
If Ivan the Terrible can be in the Narthex, maybe acrobatics for fundraising can be there too. Seems iffy though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:21:25 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Narthex - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »

That was not the Narthex.  It looked like the Nave, with a screen set up in an attempt to preserve some sense of decorum. 

I don't care if it was raining cats and dogs outside, this kind of thing does not belong inside a church.

We don't allow running around, talking, cellphones, etc....but, we allow the circus?

Pitch a tent outside and do all the acrobatics you want. 
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
Where does one draw the line: secular concert singing, secular dancing, churchly dancing, acrobatics?
Is there a canon on the question of dancing in church?

The Church restricted Ivan the Terrible to the Narthex when he was excommunicated.
If Ivan the Terrible can be in the Narthex, maybe acrobatics for fundraising can be there too. Seems iffy though.

Very iffy.  As in "entirely separate issues" very iffy.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
Here is a map of a nave vs. a Narthex. A Narthex is much more narrow than the nave, the Narthex has ikons too: Box #2 in my graph a few messages ago has ikons on the walls of the Narthex. And the nave is the separate room with the ikonostasis. And the archway separating them is much narrower than either room:

If you go watch the video, you can see that the room with the dancing is much more narrow than the nave. It does have ikons on the wall, just like Narthexes do.  Only two or three people standing shoulder to shoulder would fit through that arch. The nave is a larger separate room with the ikonostasis.

Here is a video where they set up fences at 1:45 into the clip, and then at 2:20 the priest opens the ceremony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrA_x3RGho

Here is a question I don't know the answer to:
Is there a canon against dancing in church?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:44:51 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
Here is a map of a nave vs. a Narthex. A Narthex is much more narrow than the nave, the Narthex has ikons too: Box #2 in my graph a few messages ago has ikons on the walls of the Narthex. And the nave is the separate room with the ikonostasis. And the archway separating them is much narrower than either room:

If you go watch the video, you can see that the room with the dancing is much more narrow than the nave. It does have ikons on the wall, just like Narthexes do.  Only two or three people standing shoulder to shoulder would fit through that arch. The nave is a larger separate room with the ikonostasis.

Here is a video where they set up fences at 1:45 into the clip, and then at 2:20 the priest opens the ceremony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrA_x3RGho

Here is a question I don't know the answer to:
Is there a canon against dancing in church?

Is that the floor plan of the church in the OP?  If not, stop spinning. 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »

http://hram-rpb.cerkov.ru/velikoe-osvyashhenie-xrama/

In that last photo, you can see someone wearing a white boot standing in a shaded area.  That is a narthex.  What you thought was a narthex is actually a nave. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:48:52 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »

http://hram-rpb.cerkov.ru/velikoe-osvyashhenie-xrama/

In that last photo, you can see someone wearing a white boot standing in a shaded area.  That is a narthex.  What you thought was a narthex is actually a nave.

without getting into the fight...isn't the white booted lady just outside under the covered porch?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
without getting into the fight...isn't the white booted lady just outside under the covered porch?

I usually count the covered porch as part of the narthex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narthex

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »

fair enough....although in terms of the clowns...a bit odd in this case since they were not outside in the outer narthex.....

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »

fair enough....although in terms of the clowns...a bit odd in this case since they were not outside in the outer narthex.....

The article in the OP claims the local diocese explained that cold weather forced them all indoors.  If you look at the parish website, where there are more photos, it seems there were a lot of children performing, so their health may have been a reasonable concern.  Still, they had an outdoor cross-procession before the performances, so who knows. 

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »

The article in the OP claims the local diocese explained that cold weather forced them all indoors.  If you look at the parish website, where there are more photos, it seems there were a lot of children performing, so their health may have been a reasonable concern.  Still, they had an outdoor cross-procession before the performances, so who knows.

indeed...and i am not taking a side here....well other than....'a porch is not a narthex, in Russia, Finland or Northern parts of the US or Europe'

;)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

Dear Mor,
That is a floor plan showing the difference between Narthexes and Naves, so it's relevant even if it is not of this particular church. Naves hold the ikonostasis, whereas a room separated by an arch so narrow that only 2-3 people could walk through in a row is commonly a Narthex.

I'm going to take a moment and laugh that you're trying to lecture Mor on Church design.

Floor plans are great for your Intro to Liturgics classes, but not for discussions of the practical ramifications of holding performance art in the Church.  For many Churches, the division between Narthex and Nave, if it exists, is minimal.  Narthex and Nave are supposed to have a more solid division - doors that close - if you're going to go and cite theory in this discussion.  The Narthex is worship space for those who are  excommunicated, catechumens, etc. - and when we call for the doors to close, they get shut out. 

So an "archway" does not sufficiently separate Narthex and Nave, for the purposes of this thread.  The temporary division that they erected is a nod to the fact that they know the behavior doesn't belong in Church, and that the division between the spaces is insufficient as is.  They're doing the best they can, and in this internet age the decisions of local parishes to respond to local problems pastorally get applied to big Church problems as examples for precedent.  I don't think they'd argue that this was a good thing, and it seems that few here think it's a good thing.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »

Dear Mor,
That is a floor plan showing the difference between Narthexes and Naves, so it's relevant even if it is not of this particular church. Naves hold the ikonostasis, whereas a room separated by an arch so narrow that only 2-3 people could walk through in a row is commonly a Narthex.

I'm going to take a moment and laugh that you're trying to lecture Mor on Church design.

Floor plans are great for your Intro to Liturgics classes, but not for discussions of the practical ramifications of holding performance art in the Church.  For many Churches, the division between Narthex and Nave, if it exists, is minimal.  Narthex and Nave are supposed to have a more solid division - doors that close - if you're going to go and cite theory in this discussion.  The Narthex is worship space for those who are  excommunicated, catechumens, etc. - and when we call for the doors to close, they get shut out. 

So an "archway" does not sufficiently separate Narthex and Nave, for the purposes of this thread.  The temporary division that they erected is a nod to the fact that they know the behavior doesn't belong in Church, and that the division between the spaces is insufficient as is.  They're doing the best they can, and in this internet age the decisions of local parishes to respond to local problems pastorally get applied to big Church problems as examples for precedent.  I don't think they'd argue that this was a good thing, and it seems that few here think it's a good thing.

+1

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »

Narthex, or not, it is inappropriate inside of a church.....even though they are Russian, and Russians permitted it.

Some guy in Russia is on trial, and may serve 3 years in prison because he was trying to capture a Pokemon character with his cellphone inside a church....but, a circus inside the church is permitted.

If this was happening in any other Orthodox jurisdiction, or even in a Protestant church, you would all be aghast and expounding on how the faithful have fallen away from the Faith...but, here....all is well.

At least be consistent.
Tell me about it! ;)

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/99286.htm
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:02:41 PM by Antonis »
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

"The human being is earth that suffers."
Letter of Barnabas 6.9