Author Topic: Book on Church Authority  (Read 447 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Book on Church Authority
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
I have a peculiar request.  I doubt it's an easy find, but someone was asking me if I can find any book or research on Church authority throughout history.  It has something to do with how our church heirarchs  seem inconsistent in their presentation of a particular ecumenical agreement.  In what sense during confusing times was proper authority or dogma determined?  It's not a simple answer, but is there any historical analysis to the diverse ways in which this was reached.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Book on Church Authority
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
It has something to do with how our church heirarchs  seem inconsistent in their presentation of a particular ecumenical agreement.

;)

Can you elabourate on the question? 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »
It has something to do with how our church heirarchs  seem inconsistent in their presentation of a particular ecumenical agreement.

;)

Can you elabourate on the question?

I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:22 PM »
LOL.  I didn't mean for Mina to elabourate on the one sentence I highlighted, I suspect we have an open thread(s) about that.  Re: the OP, the question being asked seems rather vague to me, like it's hinting at something but I'm not clear exactly what. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
lol!

let me get back to you on that one.  I asked him and am awaiting a response
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
It seems to evolve from Episcopate>Synod>Ecumenical Council (empire) and in the Roman Catholic scheme of things, the Pope. Are you asking the manner by which the  correctness of these authorities was determined? I am pretty sure it was an appeal to that, and tradition.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:02:21 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with one on that in particular...

(bump)