OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:58:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the chances . . .  (Read 6172 times) Average Rating: 0
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 05:47:49 PM »

I mean no disrespect here, but I would suggest that a "prophecy" is not "true" until what was spoken of actually happens.

Oh, I thought the episcopalian Church did not believe in the whole prophecy issue? Isn't it true, Ebor?

Well, if it is a translation of a translation of a translation, we're not reading the actual words.  It's a third hand source at best.  Many of these "prophecies" read like the ones that have been floating around in certain US religious circles for over 30 years, ones that are more over on the Fundi-gelical side, though there was an RC "prophet" that was also apocalyptic in Long Island, New York (the RC officials did NOT support her "Prophecies" btw).

It is not a translation of a translation of a translation, it's the greek original right at this page: http://www.rel.gr/index.php?rpage=paisios&rpage2=showkeimeno.php&link_id=16 saying the same things about the 6-6-6 and the third world war and the rest of the stuff.

OzGeorge met Elder Paisios.  He has first hand experience.  Silouan has *read* the Elders writings in English and Greek and has seen none of this sort of thing.  He has knowledge.  Both of them, imho, are more trustworthy then a website of unknown provenence and reliability or many such websites that merely post the same thing.  Just because something is in more then one place does not make it True.

Ozgeorge just said he met him when he was a child.
Silouan has still to inform us on whether the books I mentioned are in his collection of books on Elder Paissios.

the www.rel.gr is one of the most trustworthy greek orthodox websites you can find after the www.ecclesia.gr.

Both of them say that monks are more likely to talk about repentance and humility. This does not exclude the fact that the elder could have said the prophecies. On the contrary, taking into consideration the fact that there are quite some prophecies concerning the same things from saints even from Byzantium or Holy Russia, or even Soviet Russia, this should have someone alarmed so as to whether this text is valid or not.

Or is this also to be doubted?
I believe the same way we can climb up the path to atheism, do you agree?

Silouan has *read* the Elders writings in English and Greek and has seen none of this sort of thing.  He has knowledge.

Actually, don't force me to go down to the Ecclesiastical bookshop of the Metropolis tomorrow to get both books. I remember my theologian referring to these prophecies just a few years ago.

Questioning assertions and disagreeing with someone else's opinion are not the equivalent of hating them.  Asking for documentation or proof is not a sign of animosity.  if even ordinary claims require proof, why should not Extraordinary ones?

Depends on how it is done. And also depends on how it is repeated, and how many times the same way.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:53:35 PM by Ntinos » Logged

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 06:43:37 PM »

If you had read my post carefully I said that there were three conclusions that could be drawn from this: "1) the Elder didn't say them and they forged 2) He did say them but nobody attached enough importance to them to publish them 3) Conspiracy time!"

Personally I would lean towards number two, as there have been prophecies that I have read that are from legitimate sources - so it is not as if prophecy is foriegn to Orthodoxy.  But at the same time, none of the Athonite monks I know make a big deal of them.  What dominates a balanced Orthodox spiritual life is the themes of repentence, humility, love and prayer.   I have seen though among certain laypeople though an extreme fascination with end times prophecies, miracles and the like.  But to quote Elder Paisios, "We should not ask for lights or miracles, or prophecies, or gifts of the spirit, only for repentance." 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: