Author Topic: How to properly chant two prokeimena and two epistles  (Read 264 times)

Offline candora

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
How to properly chant two prokeimena and two epistles
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
A few months ago I moved from a Carpatho-Russian parish to an OCA church and I have just been tonsured/ordained a reader in the OCA parish.  A priest and I will be traveling (separately) to a small mission parish and he has asked me to perform the duties of a reader this Sunday (I normally serve around the altar).  The liturgics vary a good bit between ACROD and the OCA and I was wondering if I could get some guidance on how I should handle two prokeimena and two epistles.

I know if there is one prokeimenon, it would be done like so:

Priest: Wisdom!
Rdr: chant prokeimenon
Choir: sing prokeimenon
Rdr: chant verse
Rdr: chant first half of prokeimenon
Choir: sing second half of prokeimenon

How does it differ when there's a second prokeimenon thrown in there?

Regarding the epistle, do you normally pause in between and wait for the priest to say "Wisdom!" or do you just go straight into the second epistle?  I've seen it done both ways.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: How to properly chant two prokeimena and two epistles
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
A few months ago I moved from a Carpatho-Russian parish to an OCA church and I have just been tonsured/ordained a reader in the OCA parish.  A priest and I will be traveling (separately) to a small mission parish and he has asked me to perform the duties of a reader this Sunday (I normally serve around the altar).  The liturgics vary a good bit between ACROD and the OCA and I was wondering if I could get some guidance on how I should handle two prokeimena and two epistles.

I could be wrong, but I think it goes like this:

Rdr: chant second prokeimenon
Choir: sing second prokeimenon

And then the reading of the epistles.

Regarding the epistle, do you normally pause in between and wait for the priest to say "Wisdom!" or do you just go straight into the second epistle?  I've seen it done both ways.

Straight into the second. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »

I could be wrong, but I think it goes like this:

Rdr: chant second prokeimenon
Choir: sing second prokeimenon

And then the reading of the epistles.
Yes, it's correct. So, the second prokimnon without the verse.

Yes.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »

No pause, but each reading is ended with a vocal flourish to indicate the ending, but then immediately begin the next one.

Offline candora

• Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »
Ok, that seems simple enough.  Thank you for your help Mor Ephrem, Dominika, and Bob2.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »
You could have a maximum of 3 Epistle readings for one liturgy, because readings may occasionally be transferred because of daily readings moving forward (or backward) because of a feast, or multiple commemorations (2 Saints with readings for each, and Sunday, or Sunday, a Feast of the Theotokos, and a Saint with readings). In that case, the principle is similar (you will not have 3 prokimena or 3 sets of Alleluia verses), but the execution is slightly different (2 readings will be read as if they were one, with no flourish at the end of the first, and the second and third readings with the appropriate stylistic flourishes at the end).

However, I believe that this is Church Reading 301- level information.  What Liza and Mor said is correct, and would apply for any parish of the Russian tradition type (OCA, UOC-USA, MP (Patriarchal Parishes in the USA), or ROCOR), and still stands. I wanted to build on their knowledge a little, and apologize if my post confused you, candora.