Author Topic: Pittsburgh Catholic Diocese mergers to start in 2019  (Read 831 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Pittsburgh Catholic Diocese mergers to start in 2019
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh plans to merge parishes struggling with declining attendance and finances starting in 2019, the diocese said Friday...

Eighty-six diocesan priests are working past the retirement age of 70 or are planning to retire within five years, and the diocese anticipates the total number of priests serving the region will dip from 211 to 112 by 2025...

Between 1980 and 2015, the number of active Catholics in the Pittsburgh diocese declined by 30 percent. Since 2000, weekly mass attendance has dropped by 40 percent and K-8 Catholic school enrollment by 50 percent...
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline christiane777

• Elder
  • and drinketh water of the raine of heauen
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: God
Re: Pittsburgh Catholic Diocese mergers to start in 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh plans to merge parishes struggling with declining attendance and finances starting in 2019, the diocese said Friday...

Eighty-six diocesan priests are working past the retirement age of 70 or are planning to retire within five years, and the diocese anticipates the total number of priests serving the region will dip from 211 to 112 by 2025...

Between 1980 and 2015, the number of active Catholics in the Pittsburgh diocese declined by 30 percent. Since 2000, weekly mass attendance has dropped by 40 percent and K-8 Catholic school enrollment by 50 percent...

So much for the Francis effect.   :)
I was in the spirit on the Lords day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:29:55 PM »

It apparently only works in the South. The Raleigh diocese is finishing a new cathedral, started what might be the world's first St. Theresa of Calcutta parish, and is ordaining priests somewhat regularly.
Or, maybe everyone from Pittsburgh is moving here? It's Pittsburgh, after all (ducking...!)
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:53:37 PM »
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »
The Raleigh diocese is finishing a new cathedral, started what might be the world's first St. Theresa of Calcutta parish

There've been churches named for her in PA and NJ for years.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »

And the Pope Benedict effect, and Pope St John Paul II effect.  The numbers have been in decline a long time.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:12:01 AM »
The Raleigh diocese is finishing a new cathedral, started what might be the world's first St. Theresa of Calcutta parish

I thought it was specifically as St. but I probably remembered it wrong  ::)
never mind
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:13:10 AM by Justin Kolodziej »
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:30 AM »

I thought it was specifically as St. but I probably remembered it wrong  ::)
never mind

I know that the church in NJ was "Blessed" or something for a long time, but as soon as the canonization was announced, they had the signs with "Saint" on them ready to go the next day!  ;D
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline christiane777

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 02:13:42 AM »

And the Pope Benedict effect, and Pope St John Paul II effect.  The numbers have been in decline a long time.

That's true, even before that. It started to really decline in the 1950s in the US. Vatican II was just gasoline on the decline fire.   And I think different parts of the country are affected differently.  Same with the world really.  Look at Africa or Asia, then at the US, Europe, South America.   And in parts of the US, Catholicism is doing very well, the South for example.  But the Northeast and Rust Belt are in trouble.  The West Coast ain't doing so great either.  The RCC relies to a degree on Hispanics, but will they stay over time, as younger generations assimilate?  In South America, they go Protestant in pretty large numbers.  Or secular.  My point about Francis is that I don't see any energy or focus to understand/stop this (besides AL, more gasoline) - the so-called new Evangelization is stalled - the places where the Church is growing are places that are more traditional, orthodox in terms of the faith, not Francis-oriented.  The long term trends seem pretty Pittsburgh.  I could be wrong.  Besides, this is true of most Christian denominations.  I am not saying the Protestants or Orthodox are in a better situation necessarily.
I was in the spirit on the Lords day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »

Philly schools and churches are suffering through the same closings.... I think its mainly an inner city problem

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »
Demographic shift.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 10:16:19 PM »

Yep. It's called the Vatican II effect.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »

It seems that there are many reasons for the deterioration, and these are problems which the Orthodox in the area are also struggling with. Though based on articles I've seen, for example on the GOA website, the problems aren't isolated to the rust belt.

Offline nothing

• Deplorable Lives Matter
  • Archon
  • 1951-2017 James Hodgkinson - 40 Days of Mourning
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 01:51:50 AM »

Put that on a bumpersticker.
This post was paidtaxed forby the Silent Majority.

“I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke.” - President Trump

Americanism, Not Globalism, Will Be Our Credo

Quote from: Daedelus1138
the salvation about getting into heaven or theosis, is religious interpretation filtered through a good dose of politically convenient ideology. It is always politically convenient and reactionary to make sin and reform an individual issue and privatize suffering and human misery.

Offline christiane777

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »

It seems that there are many reasons for the deterioration, and these are problems which the Orthodox in the area are also struggling with. Though based on articles I've seen, for example on the GOA website, the problems aren't isolated to the rust belt.

Agreed.  The larger issue is increasing secularism, 'post-Christian' society - all of us in the West live in it.  Christians of all denominations face common struggles on a greater scale beyond the serious theological differences that divide us.

It is a fact that the Rust Belt, along with the Northeast, used to be Catholic strongholds - I mean up to the mid-20th century.  Vatican II, really the spirit of Vatican II, which is what it was on the ground, had a huge impact in these regions.  Changes to the liturgy.  Shift of focus away from 'traditional' Catholicism.  Social justice emphasized; moral doctrine downplayed, neglected, revised, updated.  Clergy, bishops, even laity, who opposed the new trends ostracized.  Liberals packing Church leadership roles, Church institutions, schools, higher education.  This part of the country has been hit about the hardest for the longest time.  Pew clearing.  (scandals, anyone?)

You do also see this in the Protestants:  the emergence of so-called 'non-denominational' Evangelicalism replacing the older more traditional, shall we say 'Calvinist leaning'/fundamentalist' Evangelicalism, which was quite strong up to maybe the 1980s.  I know little about this in the Orthodox Church and various jurisdictions, but my guess is, again, the Northeast/parts of Rust Belt would be a door to modernity, 'openness'.  I don't see how Orthodoxy can resist it completely.  I mean look at what Rod Dreher is saying.  (I am personally looking to Orthodoxy right now as a potentially greener pasture than Catholicism in this regard (this is only one reason; it is also spiritual, change of heart) but my eyes are open.  I think you notice this modernizing, pew clearing trend more in the Catholics and Protestants in the West because of their size relative to Orthodoxy.  The sheer number of people in these Churches creates a sort of natural vulnerability/receptivity to a wide variety of different influences.

In a larger sense, the question for all Christians is what to do about this post-Christian culture.  Do we pull out or stay in, to evangelize or not to evangelize.  Papa Francis is not going be much help I fear; but he is not a bad man.  I don't oppose everything he does by any means.  I'll take the RCC over a lot of what is out there, even in its current dilapidated state.  I still think it is the original, valid Church - as is the Orthodox (please let's not go there - off topic anyway).

Offline Lepanto

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
Too much defeatism.
As if the church did not see through way bigger crises before: Persecution to the extent of attempted extinction, arianism, reformation - to name but a few.
Each generation is convinced that the challenges it is facing are unprecedented and things are worse than they ever were. Ridiculous. If it was possible, ask a Christian in 3rd century Rome about hardships. Ask the Egyptian Copts today. Merging dioceses is not the end of the world. It's a sign of decline rather than growth, sure. But do not panic for no good reason and blame Vatican II once more. I am not a big fan either, but to explain a very complex thing with many contributing factors-  which the evaporation of faith in the western hemisphere is - only through it is just plain wrong.
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline christiane777

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
I think there is something almost a little tragic about what Francis is up to - trying to push through CDR (AL), mercy mercy mercy - push back the 'rigid' traditionalists; heal the sick, poor, broken-hearted.  There are more days I would care to admit when I agree with him, in intention for sure.  I personally could not care less about CDR in its official very limited set of applications.  I find self-proclaimed traditionalists (not all) can be hair-raisingly cold and rigid - usually for reasons that have nothing to do with actually being a Christian in any meaningful way - i.e., Pharisee.  (why is that observation not 'judgmental'? as an aside - I just said it, but I think it lacks charity - why is ok when the Pope says it, and/or 'liberals') 

For example, everything Francis wants would be 'ok' under Orthodoxy, as I see it.  He could actually be trying to bring about positive change and progress in the Roman Catholic Church.  The tragic part is...this is NOT what will happen with his changes on the ground, in the US, Europe, South America, anywhere really.  The Cardinal Kaspers / Jesuits, etc., of the world will see to that.  What Francis wants and what the Church will get are very different things.  We will get more 'spirit' of Francis, than real Francis.  Because of the already very entrenched liberal, modern views within the Church (bishops/clergy/laity), the changes from Francis will just serve to further fan these flames:  CDR essentially relegates sin to conscience.  This will flourish, with official sanction - as 'mercy' and 'love'.  The new kinder, gentler RCC.  There is no functioning authentic backbone of Catholic doctrine in so much of the Church is so many many places. We will further undermine doctrine and embolden, bless even, liberal, secularizing forces at all levels in the Church.   Francis thinks he is 'medicine' - he is bleeding us, when we were already sick, weak and disoriented, again, within the institution of the Church itself.

Dear christiane777, it is next (out of a few here) your post without using the proper title of the RC Pope; you should have been written "Pope Francis". The way you write is against the forum Rules; see the section "Regarding Clergy Titles", point 3.
I am giving you 10% warning.
Dominika, section moderator
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:05:12 PM by Dominika »

Online William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »

Is this new for Pittsburgh?  Ohio and Michigan have been doing this since the late 90's.  Lots of schools and smaller Diocese have closed, including some sentimental favorites of mine.  Still; I'm surprised this would be new for Pittsburgh if it's old hat for Toledo, Cleveland, and Detroit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:24:12 PM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 05:53:31 PM »
Is this new for Pittsburgh?  Ohio and Michigan have been doing this since the late 90's.  Lots of schools and smaller Diocese have closed, including some sentimental favorites of mine.  Still; I'm surprised this would be new for Pittsburgh if it's old hat for Toledo, Cleveland, and Detroit.

Nah, I grew up in the diocese next door (Altoona-Johnstown), but so far as I can tell it's been happening in both for a while. However, it seems like the slow decline year-over-year, with sporadic mergers when necessary, are about to give way to a huge change (major plans for merging, the expectation that half the priests currently serving will be gone within 8 years, etc.)

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »

The Archdiocese of Detroit went through a major wave of parish consolidations in 1989, and another one about 5-10 years ago. Boston and Chicago did on roughly the same timeline, too. This is a pretty normal occurrence in big cities with declining or changing demographics, and the Catholics have pretty set procedures for how it happens. Parishes are told they're being merged, buildings are deconsecrated and sold, everything that can be moved and repurposed gets sent somewhere else, etc. Most big dioceses have churches and/or warehouses used to store surplus fixtures and the like. It's all pretty swift, bureaucratic, and often quite cold for the old folks and lifetime members who don't want theirs to be the parish being closed.

Online William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »

The Archdiocese of Detroit went through a major wave of parish consolidations in 1989, and another one about 5-10 years ago. Boston and Chicago did on roughly the same timeline, too. This is a pretty normal occurrence in big cities with declining or changing demographics, and the Catholics have pretty set procedures for how it happens. Parishes are told they're being merged, buildings are deconsecrated and sold, everything that can be moved and repurposed gets sent somewhere else, etc. Most big dioceses have churches and/or warehouses used to store surplus fixtures and the like. It's all pretty swift, bureaucratic, and often quite cold for the old folks and lifetime members who don't want theirs to be the parish being closed.

Yeah, I've seen some schools close too.  It's very sad.  But we live in times where younger generations en mass in America aren't really too interested in what's being offered.  I don't know what else can be done when you have masses of people dropping out of something like that. 

That said, I am used to seeing Orthodox Parishes stay open well past their glory days.  In Toledo there are 2 Antiochian Churches, there really should probably only be one anymore (frankly, there should have only been one to begin with... but that's a different story).  Maybe the Orthodox are a naturally more stubborn people.  Certainly, I think we are naturally a lot less bureaucratic than the Catholics!

Offline MLPB

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
While it might be nice to tie this to VII ...it appears to be general...and Orthodoxy is not immune:

http://ocl.org/pew-study-reveals-critical-decline-in-orthodox-religious-membership/