Author Topic: The Theotokos icon with child Jesus  (Read 527 times)

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
The Theotokos icon with child Jesus
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:18:55 PM »
Why is it very common, it seems, for Orthodox churches (I've also seen this in Melkite churches as well) to have a huge icon of the Theotokos and child Jesus in the back of the sacturary?  Since it appears to be a common thing, I take it there is a significant reason for it.
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Re: The Theotokos icon with child Jesus
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
Why is it very common, it seems, for Orthodox churches (I've also seen this in Melkite churches as well) to have a huge icon of the Theotokos and child Jesus in the back of the sacturary?  Since it appears to be a common thing, I take it there is a significant reason for it.

Mary is a type or symbol of the whole Church in whom Christ dwells. And at the Divine Liturgy of the Church, like Mary, the Church bearing Christ in its heart--in the hearts of all the faithful--intercedes for the universe. Or Christ through the Church intercedes to the Father. This is one of the reasons why the icon is placed where it is in the Apse (the curved dome above and behind the Altar) of the Church.

From here.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:54:22 PM »

Mary is a type or symbol of the whole Church in whom Christ dwells. And at the Divine Liturgy of the Church, like Mary, the Church bearing Christ in its heart--in the hearts of all the faithful--intercedes for the universe. Or Christ through the Church intercedes to the Father. This is one of the reasons why the icon is placed where it is in the Apse (the curved dome above and behind the Altar) of the Church.

From here.

Thanks for sharing!  Very interesting!
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:09 AM »
God showed himself to the Levites on the Ark of the Covenant, where sacrifices were sprinkled, hidden before the curtains of the Holy of Holies. The Ark of the Covenant is a type of the Theotokos, and the sacrifice of lambs a type of Christ's final sacrifice. Now, God shows himself to all through the Theotokos in the Holy of Holies, where the bloodless sacrifice (the Eucharistic Liturgy) is performed.

Edit: I don't know if this explanation is ad hoc, but at least it makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:03:33 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »

From here.

AHA! I knew that the "Woman with a Crown of 12 Stars" was Typologically both the Virgin Mary and the Church, and this interpretation connects it!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:28:04 PM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt