Author Topic: Anyone here a subdeacon?  (Read 818 times)

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
Anyone here a subdeacon?
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
The thought has crossed my mind to become a subdeacon.  What are all the responsibilities involved in being one?  What are the steps to become one?
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Anyone here a subdeacon?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
What are you now, if you don't mind me asking?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
The thought has crossed my mind to become a subdeacon.  What are all the responsibilities involved in being one? 

LOL.

In the EO church, the short answer is to be a glorified altar boy. The slightly longer answer is to be a glorified altar boy and the bishop's lackey whenever he's in town.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »

I am a lay person. But I feel like helping to some degree.  What about being a deacon?

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
The thought has crossed my mind to become a subdeacon.  What are all the responsibilities involved in being one? 

LOL.

In the EO church, the short answer is to be a glorified altar boy. The slightly longer answer is to be a glorified altar boy and the bishop's lackey whenever he's in town.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. lol  I used to be an altar boy when I was younger.  But at my church, the subdeacon reads many of the "deacon" parts of the liturgy.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »

I am a lay person. But I feel like helping to some degree.  What about being a deacon?
Now you're jumping from the minor to major orders.

If you want to help, spend a while vacuuming the church and cleaning the windows. Take the trash out of the parish hall. Mow the grass. Man the grill at church barbecues. Attend typically ill-attended services. Give generously out of whatever finances you have.

I'm not trying to be snarky here.

You're still new in the church. Focus on praying from the pews for a while. You may find a role in a cassock one day, but the work of God is wider than the liturgy.

LOL.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. lol  I used to be an altar boy when I was younger.  But at my church, the subdeacon reads many of the "deacon" parts of the liturgy.

Like the litany?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

If you want to help, spend a while vacuuming the church and cleaning the windows. Take the trash out of the parish hall. Mow the grass. Man the grill at church barbecues. Attend typically ill-attended services. Give generously out of whatever finances you have.

You're still new in the church. Focus on praying from the pews for a while. You may find a role in a cassock one day, but the work of God is wider than the liturgy.

LOL.

Like the litany?

How do you know how long I've been at the church? :)

I help out where I can.  I read the epistle pretty regularly at church.  I get invited by the priest and the deacons to read a bunch of prayers in the sanctuary with them after the liturgy.  I think its very enjoyable.

Yes, the subdeacon mostly reads during the litanies.

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »

LOL.

Like the litany?

I help out where I can.  I read the epistle pretty regularly at church.  I get invited by the priest and the deacons to read a bunch of prayers in the sanctuary with them after the liturgy.  I also go to vespers when I can... and sometimes I'm the only one reading/"chanting".  I think its very enjoyable.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »

LOL.

Like the litany?

I help out where I can.  I read the epistle pretty regularly at church.  I get invited by the priest and the deacons to read a bunch of prayers in the sanctuary with them after the liturgy.  I think its very enjoyable.

You desire a good blessing.  Live up to it and serve your parish with a greater capacity as a layman.  Ask your priest that you want to serve in anyway you can that he needs you for.  If you feel like you can handle more, tell him you want to do more.

When the right time comes, you'll be chosen to the orders your priest will recommend you for.

And inasmuch you serve more, you pray more and you read more.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:48:42 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
Your posts here. No need to rehash the whole Melkite-Antiochian transition.

I help out where I can.  I read the epistle pretty regularly at church.  I get invited by the priest and the deacons to read a bunch of prayers in the sanctuary with them after the liturgy.
Post-communion prayers? Good. I wish more people stuck around for them.

I think its very enjoyable.
If only more people enjoyed praying. :)

I've never heard of that. What I've understood to be the norm is that the priest does both parts if a deacon is unavailable.

Anyway, what Mina said is probably best. Offer to help wherever the priest thinks you'll best fit. Worry about formal titles and ordinations later.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:14:50 PM by Agabus »

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
I've never heard of that. What I've understood to be the norm is that the priest does both parts if a deacon is unavailable.

Anyway, what Mina said is probably best. Offer to help wherever the priest thinks you'll best fit. Worry about formal titles and ordinations later.

http://www.antiochian.org/sites/default/files/GuidetoReadersandSubdeacons.pdf

Subdeacons and Ektenias:
A practice unique to the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America has been
for subdeacons to recite the Great and two Small Ektenias at the beginning of
the Divine Liturgy only. This is not normative Orthodox practice and a
blessing must be given by the hierarch for permission for these to be done.

There is no general blessing for subdeacons to recite these litanies. Within
the Diocese of Wichita it is not blessed for subdeacons to recite ektenias.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:28:12 PM by Bob2 »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 09:35:20 PM »

http://www.antiochian.org/sites/default/files/GuidetoReadersandSubdeacons.pdf

Subdeacons and Ektenias:
A practice unique to the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America has been
for subdeacons to recite the Great and two Small Ektenias at the beginning of
the Divine Liturgy only. This is not normative Orthodox practice and a
blessing must be given by the hierarch for permission for these to be done.

There is no general blessing for subdeacons to recite these litanies. Within
the Diocese of Wichita it is not blessed for subdeacons to recite ektenias.

Many thanks.

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »

I help out where I can.  I read the epistle pretty regularly at church.  I get invited by the priest and the deacons to read a bunch of prayers in the sanctuary with them after the liturgy.

Ah ok, didn't realize others read it.  I guess I'm more "famous" than I thought. :)

Is it common for laymen to be in the sacturary and participate in the post communion prayers?  I felt honored to be there.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 11:20:47 PM »

Ah ok, didn't realize others read it.  I guess I'm more "famous" than I thought. :)

Is it common for laymen to be in the sacturary and participate in the post communion prayers?  I felt honored to be there.

In my former Antiochian parish, we did them in the nave, with someone reading from the chanter stand. In the OCA church I attended for several years, it was just kind of part of the end of the service, with parts sung. In my current GOARCH parish, they're read in the sanctuary and anyone in the nave can hear them. I've never been behind the iconostasis.