OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 03:14:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Divine Office  (Read 3204 times) Average Rating: 0
SeanMc

« on: September 11, 2005, 09:37:08 PM »

What books do you need for it?

And... do you ever use Catholic/Western (such as the Anglican Breviary) office books? If so, how would you work that into the Orthodox liturgical calendar?
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 09:52:29 PM »

1 Horologion

8 Oktoihos books

12 Menaia books

1 Triodion

1 Pentakostarion

There is nothing close to a simple version that is in use among the RC.  Most Orthodox have a "prayer rule" from their spiritual father, rather than daily liturgical prayer. In the Greek custom, small compline (there is a great compline used primarily during lent) is said by most people everynight for their standard "evening prayers."  Of this is a lot of freedom for experimentation, throwing in an akathist or canon etc.  The standard morning prayers are a shortened form of the midnight hour. 
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »

Also a Psalter, for reading the kathismata. And an Irmologion wouldn't hurt, either. And if you weren't relying on a pre-printed liturgical calendar for putting everything together, you'd probably need a Typikon at some point.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 01:33:29 AM by yBeayf » Logged
Michael

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 06:57:25 AM »

I currently use the Sarum Hours, but this has been used as a source for the new Saint Colman Prayer Book, a list of the contents of which may be found on this thread.

My copy has already been ordered and it should arrive soon enough.  This will be a great help for me.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 07:29:33 PM »

Most interesting, Michael.  Where can one go about ordering this Breviary?

As an aside, how large of a group is the St. Petroc monastery in the website - are they just starting up?  I found some of the information on their webpage interesting, and perahaps a little shocking (they were very negative towards St. Gregory the Great and St. Augustine of Canturberry). 
Michael

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 04:41:15 AM »

Most interesting, Michael.ÂÂ  Where can one go about ordering this Breviary?

As an aside, how large of a group is the St. Petroc monastery in the website - are they just starting up?ÂÂ  I found some of the information on their webpage interesting, and perahaps a little shocking (they were very negative towards St. Gregory the Great and St. Augustine of Canturberry).ÂÂ  

Dear Silouan,

A quick message to the monastery or specifically to Fr Michael (who started the thread I linked to) will get you a response about the Prayer Book.  The monastery used to be Continuing Anglican but converted to Orthodoxy some years back now.  There seems to be a healthy community there, and i know of at least one family that is moving from the USA to live in Tasmania specifically to be associated with the community and the riches of the Western Rite there.  I have been in touch with Fr Michael for nearly a year now and he has been instrumental in my developing a love for Orthodoxy, partly because of how the Church extends her love for all of her children by making available rites indigenous to both East and West alike.

I haven't come across the parts where they speak ill of those divines, but I'd be interested if you could point me in that direction.  I was under the impression that Augustine of Hippo is the "Saint" and Augustine of Canterbury the "Blessed", not recognised as a Saint because of some interesting doctrinal views he held.  I have never delved into the reasons why but this is what my spiritual Father told me, and the comments on the St Petroc site may be related to this.  Not having seen them first-hand, I cannot say definitely.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »

I was under the impression that Augustine of Hippo is the "Saint" and Augustine of Canterbury the "Blessed", not recognised as a Saint because of some interesting doctrinal views he held.

I believe you have the two reversed. They are both saints, but there has been some controversy about Augustine of Hippo in the past because his writings contain certain mistakes, such as the filioque and a form of proto-predestination. He is also the one who is usually referred to as "Blessed" rather than "Saint"  in the east.
Michael

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »

Thank you, Beayf.  I'm easily confused. Huh
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 04:58:50 PM »

I believe you have the two reversed. They are both saints, but there has been some controversy about Augustine of Hippo in the past because his writings contain certain mistakes, such as the filioque and a form of proto-predestination. He is also the one who is usually referred to as "Blessed" rather than "Saint"ÂÂ  in the east.

What he said.

Michael,
Bl. Augustine is a Saint as any other in Orthodoxy, but we emphasize his Confessions and piety.  Yes, he has some theological issues, but if your spiritual Father seems to denigrate Bl. Augustine, why don't you ask him about St. Gregory of Nyssa's controversial theology at the same time?  The extreme critiquing of Bl. Augustine in western Orthodox circles is something rather recent (past 100 years) for the more academic type.  Things need to be kept in perspective.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: