Author Topic: Laptop to Laptop Transfer  (Read 486 times)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Laptop to Laptop Transfer
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
So, I need to move a bunch of church related files from my laptop to the laptop of a fellow servant who is taking over a role I used to play in church.  It is a lot of stuff.  PowerPoint presentations, audio files, video clips, entire books in PDF, etc.  Is there a cable I can connect from the USB port of one computer to the other and just slide it all over?  Or something else that wouldn't involve flash drives, email, or other arduous methods of transferring things a little at a time?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Laptop to Laptop Transfer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:59:08 PM »
I would just prepare an external hard drive of your stuff ready for transfer.  That's the easiest way.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:00:08 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »
I would just prepare an external hard drive of your stuff ready for transfer.  That's the easiest way.

And how exactly does one do that?  Forgive my ignorance of things technical please. :-[
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:06:05 PM »
How many gigabytes are you planning to transfer?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:06:14 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:12 PM »
How many gigabytes are you planning to transfer?

I really have no clue.  So, an external HD is something I can buy and then simply drag and drop in mass quantities, right?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Pretty much...but if you don't have that much you don't need to buy much either.

Is everything you want to transfer in one folder?  That makes it easier to know how much the size may be.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
Pretty much...but if you don't have that much you don't need to buy much either.

Is everything you want to transfer in one folder?  That makes it easier to know how much the size may be.

It is in three folders.  I think the external HD might be the best way to go.  It might also be good to keep one as a backup just in case.  Are they pretty much compatible with all laptop types?  And where do they plug in?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:24:55 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Right click each of the folders and click on "properties" or "get info". This should tell you the size
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:23:14 PM by minasoliman »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »
The largest one is around 53 MB.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
Oh wow...you don't need anything more than a small flash drive

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
It's possible to transfer files through wifi also. With less than 200 mb data, it's manageable

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
If you have CD burning software put it on a CD-ROM.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 10:09:57 PM »
You should be able to do this with a usb cable. I am pretty sure a simple search in google will give you the directions on how to do this. I used to do it with a cat5e (lan line) crossover cable, but I think it is a lot simpler with a usb line. Based on the 56 MB file, you should also be able to do it by email using a zip file program to get over any size limitations (dividing up a large file into smaller zip files (which are put back together later) if there is a size limitation for the email server).
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »
Remote Server Access
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »
Back in the day you could do this with a crossover cable. The present-day equivalent would be a wireless ad-hoc network. But I think you'll find a $10 thumb drive from Wal-mart does everything you need. Or just use Google Drive.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 02:33:48 AM »
Why not to transfer the files to a cloud and then copy them to the another laptop? No cables, devices or other additional stuff needed. There's a few awailable for free. Dropbox, Google Drive at least and I assume has one too.

Google has pretty simple instructions to their service too:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=sv
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 03:05:37 AM »
Transfer via cloud is okay I guess, if the other person also has an account with access to the particular cloud, and if wi-fi plays ball. Flash drives don't have such issues.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
Thanks for all of the info, guys!